2 (10%)
ost Are Apple but some are Android
0 (0%)
ll my decices are Apple IOS
5 (25%)
ther (Please Expain)
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Tech: Which Do You Use: Android or Apple IOS Devices  (Read 4393 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Which Do You Use: Android or Apple IOS Devices
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:37:26 pm »
I've been surprised by the number of people who use the board with Tapatalk -- and the number seems to be growing. Tapatalk is available for both Android and Apple's IOS Devices. This poll is an attempt to find out which type of devices Cauldron members owe and/or use.

Please vote -- and feel free to explain your vote with the details of what device(s) you use and/or why you selected Android/Apple or even why you think most of us are nuts for not using "other" as you do. ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:46:44 pm by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Which Do You Use: Android or Apple IOS Devices
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:48:16 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180421
Please vote -- and feel free to explain your vote with the details of what device(s) you use and/or why you selected Android/Apple or even why you think most of us are nuts for not using "other" as you do. ;)

I have an Android Tablet and a Moto G Smartphone so all my devices are Android. I picked Android for two reasons: First, I'm cheap and Android devices and Android software are generally less expensive than Apple devices and software. Second, I do not like Apple's closed software ecosystem. I want to get whatever people are willing to produce without it being filtered by what a company thinks should be allowed on their devices. Android has an open ecosystem which means even when Google will not allow an app on the Google Play store (for example, apps that allow downloading youtube), it is easy top get the app from another app store or even the software writer's web site and install in on your Android device.

Lyric has a cheap Polaroid Tablet that she uses as a ebook reader. It's Android as well but it was selected mainly because it was lightweight and had a large frame around the screen so she can grip it with her problem hands.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:49:51 pm »

My phone is Android -- my family is an Android family for the same reasons you listed (price and open software) -- and I use crosstalk on my phone. But my tablet is a Kindle. When I access TC on my Kindle, like I am doing now, I use the web browser (Silk), not tapatalk.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:25:42 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;180430
When I access TC on my Kindle, like I am doing now, I use the web browser (Silk), not tapatalk.

Ditto for me when I access TC from the Kindle, which is rare.  I mostly use it for watching "Justified" and playing "Talisman."

Windows phone, mostly for FB and Instagram.

I mostly access TC from a chromebook.  There's something 'bout having an actual keyboard.  Call me luddite.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:25 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;180431
Windows phone, mostly for FB and Instagram.

I forgot to list Windows Phone. :o

I mostly access TC from a chromebook.  There's something 'bout having an actual keyboard.  Call me luddite.

I have enough problems with typos on an actual keyboard. The virtual keyboard on my tablet is okay for typing something short and quick. As for my phone, fortunately, I don't have actually use its tiny virtual keyboard much as it is an exercise is in fat-fingering every key but the one I want.  Okay, it's not quite that bad, but close.
Randall

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35:01 am »
I've been surprised by the number of people who use the board with Tapatalk -- and the number seems to be growing. Tapatalk is available for both Android and Apple's IOS Devices. This poll is an attempt to find out which type of devices Cauldron members owe and/or use.

My phone is an Android, a Galaxy S6. My tablet is a Kindle Fire 7HD.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:07:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180433
.... is an exercise is in fat-fingering every key but the one I want.  Okay, it's not quite that bad, but close.

Same problem here.  Pretty sure there's a hobbit in my family tree, and his last name was Stumpfingers.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

DawningFox

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:21:56 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;180443
My phone is an Android

Same. I have a Galaxy S6.
I have a Samsung Chromebook & tablet.
Annnnd I have an iPod touch, but I donĀ“t use that for media, just music because my androids haul in so much from games & media

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:57 am »

both my phone and tablet are android.  apple is too restrictive for my tastes. Android os is relatively simple to get root access on, and thus nonrestrictive by comparison.

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »

I could not vote, my options are not there.

My smartphone is an iPhone, my ereader is a Kobo Glo and my PC is Windows 7, and I surf the web on my PC.

As for Apple, they make quality devices and old models still can get updates of the recent OS.  Android smartphones may be cheaper but they're also cheaply made, and often they (the makers) do not put latest Android OS in their products, and often do not update OS to later versions later as well, the clients have no control over that, you're completely in the company's hands if you have bugs due to do outdated OS driver that the smartphone company refuses to update.

As for the Kobo Glo, it reads tons of formats, you can add an external HD to the ereader, the light is really nice and the size too, the resolution is really good (it was best when I bought it), it has tons of reading options, also wanted eink and not tablet LCD because I really focus on reading on it and eink is better for the eyes.

As for Windows, I'm a long time gamer so Windows OS is better suited for that, and I'm in love with 7, really nice OS, and I can still play old videogames on it, and old apps I've yet to find better in newer programs for them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:36:18 pm by Nothingness »

Tags: