Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: Major Downtime Coming Early Next Week (21-22 Sept 2015)  (Read 3577 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: Major Downtime Coming Early Next Week (21-22 Sept 2015)
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:45 am »
I need to do a major update to our server before the end of the month to avoid a number of things no longer working correctly with other parts of the Internet and to do some security updates. This will be a major update because some of it will have to be compiled specially for our server instead of simply downloaded and installed. This will take time (and be somewhat error-prone). This has to be scheduled around LyricFox's many doctor's appointments.  So here is the current plan:

This weekend: TC will be down for somewhere between 30 minutes and several hours to resire a partition on the server drive. This will give us enough from to clone the server's drive right before I start the upgrades (which will should allow a complete recovery if things go drastically wrong with the upgrade).

Monday morning: The server will be shut down for our upgrade. The backup board will be activated. Status updates will be available on twitter (if I remember to make them). And the upgrade will start. It might take as little as 3-4 hours, or it might take all of Monday and part of Tuesday.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to how long this will take, but I really have no idea.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: Major Downtime Coming Early Next Week (21-22 Sept 2015)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:39:52 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180125
This weekend: TC will be down for somewhere between 30 minutes and several hours to resire a partition on the server drive. This will give us enough from to clone the server's drive right before I start the upgrades (which will should allow a complete recovery if things go drastically wrong with the upgrade).

This is planned for sometime this morning.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180141
This is planned for sometime this morning.

The disk has been resized. Chat is still down as it does not want to start cleanly -- for once it is NOT the security server for the Flashchat client... I will look into that later today.
Randall

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:58:36 am »
I need to do a major update to our server before the end of the month to avoid a number of things no longer working correctly with other parts of the Internet and to do some security updates. This will be a major update because some of it will have to be compiled specially for our server instead of simply downloaded and installed. This will take time (and be somewhat error-prone). This has to be scheduled around LyricFox's many doctor's appointments.  So here is the current plan:

Monday morning: The server will be shut down for our upgrade. The backup board will be activated. Status updates will be available on twitter (if I remember to make them). And the upgrade will start. It might take as little as 3-4 hours, or it might take all of Monday and part of Tuesday.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to how long this will take, but I really have no idea.

Sounds like hard work.  May I just say on behalf of all us Cauldron users: thank you for all your time and effort in establishing and maintaining the site.  I've only been a user for a short while but already I find this site invaluable.  And best wishes to LyricFox for those doctors appointments.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:59:06 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:30:48 am »
Quote from: Pickle;180144
Sounds like hard work.

It is, but part of it in my fault. I kept putting off doing it in the hope that someone woyk make a set of binary packages I could just install instead of having to manually compile a lot of stuff do do the upgrade. No one did and the deadlineis here at the end of the month.

And best wishes to LyricFox for those doctors appointments.

Back issues, newly diagnosed MS, etc. Just the normal stuff but every three months she has a lot of doctor appointments and this is one of those third months. And since she can no longer drive, I'm her transportation.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180142
The disk has been resized. Chat is still down as it does not want to start cleanly -- for once it is NOT the security server for the Flashchat client... I will look into that later today.

Chat is back. My apologies for the extra chat downtime.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:40:33 am »

It's Monday and this will be starting in 30-60 minutes. The board and websites will be done. Updates will be available on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thecauldronforum (not twitter as more people here use FB)

If it looks like it is take a very long time (more that 4-5 hours), I will also open the backup message board at: http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:43:11 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180222
If it looks like it is take a very long time (more that 4-5 hours), I will also open the backup message board at: http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Initial updating is done. Now I have to do a lot of checking to make sure everything still works AND the problems I set out to fix are actually fixed. I've reopened the board while I do this -- but the server may be up and down at times.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180225
Initial updating is done. Now I have to do a lot of checking to make sure everything still works AND the problems I set out to fix are actually fixed. I've reopened the board while I do this -- but the server may be up and down at times.

I'm done for the day -- everything should be back up and working, including chat. Tapatalk may have issues, I'm not sure. I will have a bit more to do in the morning, including checking tapatalk.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:49:18 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180238
I'm done for the day -- everything should be back up and working, including chat. Tapatalk may have issues, I'm not sure. I will have a bit more to do in the morning, including checking tapatalk.

I'll be back to work on the server this morning.  I don't think it will be nearly as disruptive as yesterday. The board may go away for a few minutes at a time as I play with the database config. I'll try to update tapatalk and a few other board things which may have me turning off the board for short periods of time. I don't think I will not to restart the actual server, but I may be wrong.  If everything is down, you'll know I was wrong. :o
Randall

Tags: