Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping Chat Log - 6Sep2011  (Read 1707 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping Chat Log - 6Sep2011
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:02 am »
FlameKeeping Chat Log
Tuesday, 6 September 2011, 10:00 AM Eastern (US)

You say, "Ok, so the topic for this week is - Sharing the Flame"
Bluebird says, "I am just lurking with a puppet today, as I can barely focus long enough to pay my bills this morning."
You say, "namely, why should others add to FK?"
HeartShadow says, "and "because otherwise Shadow will cry" really isn't a valid answer. true, but not valid here"
You say, "exactly."
You say, "so, let's look at the essays we all read..."
FierFlye says, "which essay was I supposed to read?"
You say, "'Sharing the Flame' and 'I give the gift of Flame'"
FierFlye says, "i have read those, sometime..."
You say, "So, besides the fact that FK was a religion of 1 (or 2) at the time, 'Sharing the Flame' makes the point that information should not be hoarded."
You say, "and that all contributions are authentic, no matter the source and even if they contradict each other."
FierFlye says, "other people should add so the body of knowledge can include multiple experiences and points of views"
You say, "I'm going to quote the essay here - "So if everyone adds, what part is authentic, and what isn’t? The answer is that it’s all authentic, even the parts that contradict. Different people come up with different answers to the same questions, and the Universe is big enough to encompass that, too. That doesn’t mean everyone will follow everything. What it does mean is that each person is going to have to evaluate what essays, what questions have meaning to them, and which ones don’t. If people find an addition doesn’t work, it’s clearly not a correct addition to FlameKeeping. Only those pieces that are accepted by others are truly part of the Flame.""
You say, "so, does this make FK a pick-and-choose path?"
HeartShadow says, "I would say more a consensus-built path"
Bluebird says, "Like, SPG philosophy."
FierFlye says, "kind of, but not pick-and-choose as a what is more shiny to you, but as what works best in your particular situation"
HeartShadow says, "yeah. if it works, it gets added in. If it doesn't work, no matter how shiny, out it goes"
HeartShadow says, "if it works for you but totally misses the point, it might be useful to you but it's not FlameKeeping"
You say, "what defines "works"? how many people?"
You say, "or, is it just "more than one"?"
HeartShadow says, "here's where we run into the problem of "but we started with just one!""
HeartShadow says, "I think *I* would say it would take enough people to be able to build together. which would change the number depending on the people"
HeartShadow says, "and works would be improves the lives of the people participating and the world around them."
You say, "so, if Fier adds something that has value to multiple people it is helpful...but if not enough agree to be able to build something then it isn't?"
You say, "or rather, it works?"
Bluebird is confused.
HeartShadow says, "could you try that one again?"
You say, "sorry"
You say, "so, let's say Juni writes something for FK."
You say, "it resonates with two others, which is enough to build a practice on it"
You say, "then it works?"
HeartShadow says, "I'd say probably yes"
You say, "but, if it didn't resonate with anyone, or if two people weren't enough on which to build something, then the same contribution wouldn't work for FK in general."
Bluebird says, "My next question would be, then, what does "build a practice on it" mean, really? Does FK even really have practices, per se?"
veggiewolf laughs. "That's where I was going, actually." *smiles at Juni*
HeartShadow says, "well, *I* didn't say build a PRACTICE. I just said build on. :P"
You say, "ok, I rephrase then - let's talk about what building on means. :p"
You say, "if Juni writes something (yes, I am picking on Juni today), what would it mean to build on it? Does that mean more writings on the topic, discussions, inclusion in personal practice...?"
HeartShadow says, "FlameKeeping is a foundation and a scaffold. What gets built around that depends on the individual"
HeartShadow says, "one could have a group of FlameKeeping Kemetics, f'ex, that would have Kemetic-specific additions to that scaffold"
HeartShadow says, "to non-Kemetics, it wouldn't *work* - it just wouldn't make sense with what they're doing. Doesn't make it wrong, though"
Bluebird says, "So how do you keep from splintering into Kemetic FK and Flamethrower FK and Supersoaker FK?"
HeartShadow says, "why on earth would I?"
veggiewolf ponders.
Bluebird says, "There has to be a point where something deviates from being FK, or else "being FK" is meaningless."
HeartShadow says, "as long as the information is there so the supersoaker group can look at what the Kemetics are doing and go "that bit. that works for us" and nab it, I don't see a problem"
You say, "if the additions keep true to the foundation, then it is all FK."
HeartShadow says, "the foundation and the scaffold. There needs to be the Flame and the concept of improving the Universe"
You say, "which brings up - what are the key foundation points."
You say, "?"
HeartShadow says, "pantheism. If you can't mesh with pantheism, it doesn't work at all"
FierFlye says, "duty to improve the Universe"
You say, "belief that balance is key"
HeartShadow says, "balance through growth, not balance through hindering. I think that's an important point"
veggiewolf nods.
You say, "Balance is not achieved through stagnation."
You say, "so, if it builds off the foundation and scaffold, and is useful to "people" (not person), it works for FK."
HeartShadow says, "so - the Dark Flame of inward growth and care, the Bright Flame of outward growth and care, and the Divine of which we all are a part"
HeartShadow says, "AND it is shared, I think"
HeartShadow says, "it's not FK if you hoard it"
veggiewolf nods.
You say, "So, when will FK be finished? *grins*"
HeartShadow says, "you don't have to let just anyone in your group, but you can't have Ye Olde Book of Sekrit Knowledge"
HeartShadow says, "at the heat-death of the universe - maybe. :P"
veggiewolf laughs.
You say, "FK will never be complete...there's always something to add?"
FierFlye says, "or, when the Universe is perfect and there is nothing left to improve. (so, never)"
You say, "I love that answer!"
You say, "Third question - what can *we* add?"
HeartShadow says, "yes"
You say, "I'm being serious. I know we've added writings, work structures, divination practices..."
You say, "what about artwork, poetry, interpretive dance?"
You say, "underwater basket weaving?"
FierFlye says, "i think a starting guide for beginners would be helpful"
You say, "oh yes"
FierFlye says, "maybe we could have chats devoted to working on that"
FierFlye says, "yes to artwork, poetry, ect"
FierFlye says, "for those that do that kind of thing"
You say, "I'd like to see a thread called, "You might be a FlameKeeper..." listing some of the hard-and-fast facets, you know?"
veggiewolf may start that thread.
HeartShadow seconds the notion of Veggie starting that thread
veggiewolf giggles.
You say, "Running the SIG counts as an addition, you know!"
veggiewolf gives Fier a high-five.
HeartShadow says, "absolutely. *attempting to build* is what counts"
HeartShadow says, "success isn't necessary, even"
You say, "and Fier, I think we should have chats devoted to building a starting guide"
FierFlye returns high five
You say, "*should*, I mean."
FierFlye says, "maybe starting in a week or two"
You say, "ok, what did we miss?"
You say, "anything?"
HeartShadow says, "nothing comes to mind, so probably a ton"
HeartShadow says, "next week I think it would be interesting to have a chat on "what do you think you bring to FK? How do you add to the system?""
You say, "that's a great topic. We can do that!"
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping Chat Log - 6Sep2011
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:40:22 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;18187
FlameKeeping Chat Log

Sorry I missed this morning's chat. ~~;  I was passed out letting my eyes rest. It totally skipped my brain. Looks like it was an interesting conversation, though. :3

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping Chat Log - 6Sep2011
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;18187

Essay for this chat: Sharing the Flame

Questions covered:

Why should others add to FlameKeeping?

What does it mean to share and not hoard?

Is FlameKeeping a pick-and-choose path?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: