collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What kind of witch are you?  (Read 61623 times)

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of witch are you?
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2013, 02:03:16 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;9135
I am a Religious Witch. I basically practice folk magic but am religious as far as it comes to Deities and Spirits. I guess I would be classified (if I were to expound on it) as a Green, Hedge, Kitchen, Polytheistic, Servant of Deities (esp. Hekate), Moon-Loving, Nature-Revering, Semi-Shamanic, Ancestor-Honoring Witch.

Wow, what a mouthful. Yeah, Religious Witch suits me perfectly.

Yup, this is basically me. I like to call myself an eclectic dualist, because I worship the God and Goddess as my major deities, but Religious Witch might suit me better. I practice folk magic, and making amulets and charm bags are definitely my main specialties. I like to call myself a Wiccan as well, because even though I never really do ritual magic, I'm not just a witch. I guess coming from a Christian background has made prayer and meditation very important to me.

treetrunk78

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2014, 02:56:37 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;115537
If your gods dig libations, then it's a win/win.

I suppose you could call it a "wine/wine." Ha. Puns.

To answer the original question, I suppose that I'm just a witch. I've studied for a while, but I never really "get my hands dirty," so to speak, with witchcraft other than divination. That being said, I've worked spells before. Some of them had very satisfactory results; others fizzled out. It is a practice after all, and patience is a virtue I'm desperately trying to master. Haha. I tend to lean toward folk magic practices and sort of "hillfolk hoodoo" as I've heard it called.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2014, 10:16:16 pm »
Quote from: treetrunk78;168160

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

I'd call myself a Road Witch. I can't do divination to save my ass and I really just don't jive with anything that's not Roadwork. (roadwork, for those who aren't interested in going through the few blog posts I have, involves a lot of liminal stuff and a lot of cars and genuis locii).

Slowly getting into more things with The Stag and possibly opening up for work with the sea. Maybe. We'll see, I guess.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2014, 07:24:48 am »
Quote from: Juni;775
I see lots of people who define themselves as a witch using specific labels- Green or Hedge or Kitchen or what-have-you, and they always make me curious. So: what kind of witch are you, and what about your witchcraft makes you choose that particular label?

Green and Kitchen :3
I talk to plants.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 26, 2014, 09:42:38 am »
Quote from: Gaudior;168178
Green and Kitchen :3

Not A. :ange:

I usually label my more witchy-type activities "hedge wizardry"
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2014, 10:04:22 am »
Quote from: LikeMars;119437

Also, i secretly wish labels like 'Sorcerer' were socially acceptable, because they're awesome in an over-the-top way, kind of like Lady Gaga.

Y'know what, use that label. I call myself a Sorcerer as a shorthand label, been doing it for some years now. Don't give too much thought to what is socially acceptable, it's socially acceptable to defend crooked cops murdering innocent black men, it's socially acceptable to go apeshit over retail merchandise at the cost of human dignity, and it's socially acceptable to throw out your children if they love someone of a different gender, ethnicity, religious upbringing, social class, and political outlook than what you what to be reproduced in your bloodline. So piss on socially acceptable, embrace your power, and don't worry too hard.

Caveat: I know this poster is likely not around, but my words still stand. And yes, I know what I listed as "socially acceptable" is not true for everywhere. The simple fact that there are places, a rather large amount of places in fact, where it IS socially acceptable is pretty damning in describing what socially acceptable is. This goes double for witchcraft, which has a pretty solid history of being at the fringes of what is socially acceptable. So while you shouldn't ignore what is and isn't socially acceptable, don't shackle yourself to it.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2015, 02:23:22 am »
I see lots of people who define themselves as a witch using specific labels- Green or Hedge or Kitchen or what-have-you, and they always make me curious. So: what kind of witch are you, and what about your witchcraft makes you choose that particular label?

I'm a kitchen witch since I read that they tend to practice Celtic Wicca but I think it depends on the witch (Here is the site I found that bit of info. If it seems sketchy, let me know! I can't seem to find any other sources that state this. And yes, I know wicca is not exactly Celtic. I worship the pantheon; http://www.kitchenwiccan.com/pagan-wiccan/types-of-witches/) although I'd say green witch too since I love working with herbs, plants, flowers, trees and nature and not just cooking.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2015, 02:54:08 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;170166
I'm a kitchen witch since I read that they tend to practice Celtic Wicca but I think it depends on the witch (Here is the site I found that bit of info. If it seems sketchy, let me know! I can't seem to find any other sources that state this. And yes, I know wicca is not exactly Celtic. I worship the pantheon; http://www.kitchenwiccan.com/pagan-wiccan/types-of-witches/) although I'd say green witch too since I love working with herbs, plants, flowers, trees and nature and not just cooking.

Darn, I can't read that link because I'm too DARK and not a positive person. Do you have any other links on the subject? XD
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2015, 03:05:23 am »
If it seems sketchy, let me know!

It's sketchy. (I can't even tell just what she means by 'Celtic' there... or maybe I should say I have absolutely no idea why she thinks 'Goes by the elements, the Ancient Ones and nature' makes it 'Celtic' - it doesn't appear to connect to either of the senses of 'Celtic' that inform the modern pagan movement.)

There are lots of other things on that page that are dubious as well - it's a very unreliable resource.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2015, 03:18:09 am »

Wow, nothing like an incoherent rant about Satanists to really make a site sound credible.  (Here's one for the ongoing thread about that topic, huh?)

(The definition of "kitchen witch" it puts forward includes specifically working with gemstones.  About which I am without words.  Well.  Aside from.  "Tasty.")
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:36 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;170170
(The definition of "kitchen witch" it puts forward includes specifically working with gemstones.  About which I am without words.  Well.  Aside from.  "Tasty.")

On topic, I have decided that I'm a Stone Cold Witch. ;)
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2015, 10:01:32 am »

A wicked one.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;170174
A wicked one.

But are you also a green witch?

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »
Quote from: Jack;170183
But are you also a green witch?

Nah. Being green is too much effort for too little result.

;)
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;170187
Nah. Being green is too much effort for too little result.

;)
That's a good point. I hear it's not easy being green.

Tags: