"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: What kind of witch are you?  (Read 61358 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What kind of witch are you?
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »
I see lots of people who define themselves as a witch using specific labels- Green or Hedge or Kitchen or what-have-you, and they always make me curious. So: what kind of witch are you, and what about your witchcraft makes you choose that particular label?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: What kind of witch are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »
Quote from: Juni;775
I see lots of people who define themselves as a witch using specific labels- Green or Hedge or Kitchen or what-have-you, and they always make me curious. So: what kind of witch are you, and what about your witchcraft makes you choose that particular label?

Right now, an armchair witch. :) I have a lot of different ideas and interests, but I don't practice much in the way of witchcraft. I'm still exploring what that means to me. I am interested in green and kitchen witchcraft, and very interested in exploring work with stones and herbs.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »

Free-range liminal hedge and hearth witch seasoned with a sprinkling of divination and a splash of animism? With a side of shamanistic tendencies? With a serving of energy work for dessert? :D

There are so many influences coming into play in my particular version of the craft that it's just easier to leave off the labels... or simply say 'eclectic.'

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:19:01 pm »

My answer would be debatable depending on who you ask, or on what day you ask me. Green witch, technically, but kitchen witch also.Hearth witch would cover it well enough for both of those.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:19:56 pm by Auress »

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;798
Free-range liminal hedge and hearth witch seasoned with a sprinkling of divination and a splash of animism? With a side of shamanistic tendencies? With a serving of energy work for dessert? :D

Well, that sounds similar to my cocktail.
Double the animism and make that shamagic and the hedge is the one I'm sitting on and swaying between the worlds. :D

My path starts to focus back on a 'traditional' land centered pov.
The spirits are in the land, under the land, within the land - and the same is true for us. That's what I believe and also that everything is literally one.

So yeah, that's me. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;798

There are so many influences coming into play in my particular version of the craft that it's just easier to leave off the labels... or simply say 'eclectic.'

lol I love that!

I am a Dianic Witch...all things Goddess begins & end my practice. Though like others posted I have bits & pieces of this or that to make it a nice eclectic practice. it just depends on what I am trying to do :)
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:37:27 pm »

I guess an Alexandrian Witch, or Wiccan, which would be religious witchcraft. I probably would use the label Wiccan more than witch generally, although the term witch is used more in our tradition.There's plenty of essays, theses, and threads touching on the correlation between the two :D  

As the story goes, it's more of a reclaimed term influenced from folklore, and an outdated theory, but is still appropriate because of its use of folklore, magic, and cunning craft that focuses more on instinct, intuition, psychic awareness, and emotional uses with magic(k) compared to more structured&ceremonial systems that it is still likely to have stemmed from.
Semper Fidelis

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »
Quote from: Sage;780
Right now, an armchair witch. :) I have a lot of different ideas and interests, but I don't practice much in the way of witchcraft. I'm still exploring what that means to me. I am interested in green and kitchen witchcraft, and very interested in exploring work with stones and herbs.

Seconding the armchair. Part of my work right now is to reduce studying and thinking and book learning - and actually _do_. Apart from that, I'm interested in herbs, but I'm more a direct 'throw energy in the direction of THAT goal' kind of person. Unfortunately my spells tend to fizzle and accomplish very little, so I'm also working on .. well.. making it work.

I do a fine energy sensing, can hammer up shields like crazy and do direct manipulation as part of healing, but once the energy is out of my reach.. nothing seems to happen.
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:43 am »

I'm a British Traditional Wiccan.* Why I call myself that is very simple; I was initiated and trained by BTWs. :P However, I often call myself a "traditional witch," because the word "Wiccan" can be so loaded in the occult community. The second term usually refers to cunning craft and/or Cochrane-style witchcraft, but I heavily incorporate those things into my personal practice, so I'm comfortable with it. If I hadn't been initiated, that's what I'd still be doing. There are only so many options available once you decide that eclectic witchcraft just isn't cutting it.

*(I was originally initiated into Central Valley Wicca, and am currently an Alexandrian pre-initiate.)

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:23:10 am »

I am a Crystal Witch. All of my work is done with my crystals (all 150+ of them). I've been doing things this way for nearly 20 years now. EEEK! Where did the time go? :confused:
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:09 am »

/checks the ticky-box for armchair witch/

/checks another ticky-box for Other/

I'm an armchair do-whatever-I-want with a dash of hoodoo through in there kind of witch. I work with what I have, and a bit within a hoodoo-like system. If that makes any sense. :D
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 02:40:28 pm »

Traditional Witch - mainly folk magic but moving rapidly towards the  traditions based on the witchcraft of Robert Cochrane et al.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »

Hmm, I guess eclectic religious witch fits best. I do ask for the assistance and blessing of a specific Goddess for some of the stuff I do, but not always. I also pull from a variety of witchy paths. A little Green here, a little Kitchen there, maybe a splash of Hoodoo every once in a while, etc.

I have moved away from high magic/ceremonial type stuff because it just feels a little bit forced to me. I can't get the energy flowing right in a rigidly structured ritual. I work best when I can relax and leave some room for improvisation.

Ember

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/EmptyHourglass
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »

Third on armchair. I have more books than I know what to do with, and lots of theory...just not a lot of practice. My latest goal is to actually get down to business and begin working on practical knowledge. What I really need is a good kick in the pants because I'm distinctly unmotivated in most areas, magical and mundane. I always did better with application in school because I had to be there every day and the teachers MADE me do stuff >:/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:36:07 pm by Ember »
There be dragons here ♥

"The important thing is to never stop questioning."

starlilica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://polytheist-witch.tumblr.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 10:02:40 pm »
So: what kind of witch are you, and what about your witchcraft makes you choose that particular label?

Another armchair! I'm just now exploring the ideas of witchcraft, especially the kitchen variety, and possibly, if I understand it correctly, the hedge variety. I shall be lurking in this area!

Tags: