Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: basic offering/sacrifice ritual  (Read 1186 times)

jungblood

• View Profile
basic offering/sacrifice ritual
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:39:49 pm »
hello friends,

I'm new here, and new to paganism... I come from the vedanta tradition where there's a emphasis on renunciation as a path to union with God... I've always experienced acts of renunciation as offerings to god, and I've found this very meaningful - that's part of what has drawn me to paganism... so my question is, can anyone direct me towards some guidelines on performing a basic ritual to make an offering to a chosen deity in this way?

Hugs,
jungblood

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: basic offering/sacrifice ritual
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:27 pm »
Quote from: jungblood;179240
hello friends,

I'm new here, and new to paganism... I come from the vedanta tradition where there's a emphasis on renunciation as a path to union with God... I've always experienced acts of renunciation as offerings to god, and I've found this very meaningful - that's part of what has drawn me to paganism... so my question is, can anyone direct me towards some guidelines on performing a basic ritual to make an offering to a chosen deity in this way?

Well, that's going to depend on several things.

One: your preferred Pagan religion

The methods of offering in Wicca or religious witchcraft that's derived from it is different than the methods the Greeks used, or the methods the Egyptians used, or the methods the Celts used, and so on.

Two: The specific deity or deities you are making the offering to (or if not deities, whatever you're making the offering to.)

Individual beings have preferences: the things you'd offer to, say, Apollo are not the same things you'd offer to Thoth are not the same things you'd offer to Lugh, are not the same things you'd offer to Frey, and so on.

Three: What you're offering, and what your physical set up is.

Some kinds of offering work really well with, say, some extensive preparation time at home (meditation, ritual bathing, etc.) If you have a job with irregular hours, that might be hard. Some kinds of offering work well with specific items, if you can't get those items, you might prefer something else. Some kinds of ritual require certain kinds of space, privacy, the ability to light candles, a place to leave an offering of food or drink - some of which may not be an option for you.

So without knowing a bit more about what you have in mind, or what Pagan religion you're aiming at, it's a little hard for anyone to give you more useful advice.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: