Last Online
    30 May 2016 @ 09:37 PM
    Country
    Columbia
    Religion
    Universalist

basic offering/sacrifice ritual

hello friends,

I'm new here, and new to paganism... I come from the vedanta tradition where there's a emphasis on renunciation as a path to union with God... I've always experienced acts of renunciation as offerings to god, and I've found this very meaningful - that's part of what has drawn me to paganism... so my question is, can anyone direct me towards some guidelines on performing a basic ritual to make an offering to a chosen deity in this way?

Hugs,
    jungblood

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: basic offering/sacrifice ritual

Quote Originally Posted by jungblood View Post
    hello friends,

I'm new here, and new to paganism... I come from the vedanta tradition where there's a emphasis on renunciation as a path to union with God... I've always experienced acts of renunciation as offerings to god, and I've found this very meaningful - that's part of what has drawn me to paganism... so my question is, can anyone direct me towards some guidelines on performing a basic ritual to make an offering to a chosen deity in this way?
    Well, that's going to depend on several things.

One: your preferred Pagan religion

The methods of offering in Wicca or religious witchcraft that's derived from it is different than the methods the Greeks used, or the methods the Egyptians used, or the methods the Celts used, and so on.

Two: The specific deity or deities you are making the offering to (or if not deities, whatever you're making the offering to.)

Individual beings have preferences: the things you'd offer to, say, Apollo are not the same things you'd offer to Thoth are not the same things you'd offer to Lugh, are not the same things you'd offer to Frey, and so on.

Three: What you're offering, and what your physical set up is.

Some kinds of offering work really well with, say, some extensive preparation time at home (meditation, ritual bathing, etc.) If you have a job with irregular hours, that might be hard. Some kinds of offering work well with specific items, if you can't get those items, you might prefer something else. Some kinds of ritual require certain kinds of space, privacy, the ability to light candles, a place to leave an offering of food or drink - some of which may not be an option for you.

So without knowing a bit more about what you have in mind, or what Pagan religion you're aiming at, it's a little hard for anyone to give you more useful advice.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

+ Reply to Thread