collapse

Author Topic: ecletic witchcraft and cultural appropriation  (Read 7408 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
ecletic witchcraft and cultural appropriation
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
Okay so cultural appropriation is a major hot button topic issue right now, especially when discussing the entertainment industry. However, I was wondering how do we deal with the idea of cultural appropriation when practicing ecletic witchcraft? I'm a Christian witch which already a very ecletic path on it's own. On the Christian I've embraced Catholic, Anglican, some Presbyterian, and some Jewish ideals but I'm still working on my witch/pagan side. I'm not 100% comfortable anymore with Wiccan ideology, so I have looked into other forms of paganism and witchcraft. I've dabbled in talking with Greek goddesses, I've considered looking into Nordic goddesses and I'm starting to dabble in African culture/magick. I don't want to offend so many groups of people and to be far most African-Americans in America practice Christianity and/or Islam so I don't feel like I'm disrespecting them if I do dabble in Hoodoo or Voodoo. I'm trying to follow my heart but I realize that my heart might be telling me to follow pagan paths that aren't associated with my ethnic background. I'm for sure Scotch-Irish, Irish, and English with some German. I used to think I also had Dutch in me but I found out the Dutch was actually Penn. Dutch on my maternal grandmother's side. So that's basically German. Disputedly I may have Mulogeon (which already a mixture of a various stuff) on my father's side and very disputedly, some Native American, Cherokee and possibly Souix from both sides. According to my mom, one of her older relatives apparently found a picture of a Native American in typical westernized dress (tribe not really known but assumed to be Souix) of a distant relative but they don't have the picture anymore. On my dad's side they thought their might be Cherokee but now they think the Native American blood may have actually been Mulogeon. I know I may be misspelling that but it's a unique ethnic group to my home region of Southwestern VA and also goes into Tennessee and Kentucky. I've considered incorporating Native American practices as well since I also feel such an infinity to that culture (which I know is variety of tribes and technically goes into other parts of North America and South America).

As far as holidays I basically celebrate psuedo-Christian/American holidays. Growing up my two favorite holidays were Halloween and Christmas. I still love Halloween, but I know loath Christmas with a passion for various reasons and dread the holiday season. Anyway, how do you handle being an ecletic witch with the cultural appropriation in mind?
PrincessKLS

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: ecletic witchcraft and cultural appropriation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:15:51 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;179227
how do you handle being an ecletic witch with the cultural appropriation in mind?

There have been a lot of discusion threads on this subject such as here, here, here, and here

For myself I don't take things from closed cultures or religions, or if people of other cultures and religions tell me it's not okay to do so. And I don't take things from initiatory religions that I am not initiated into.

If I can't find a way of doing something without culturally appropriating then I tend to think either I'm not looking hard enough, or I don't actually understand either what it is I am trying to do, or I don't understand what it is the thing I would be culturally appropriating is doing. (Because if something is SO culturally specific that no other culture has anything like it I don't believe that I, as a person not from that culture, am going to understand the nuances of it)
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:07 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;179231

For myself I don't take things from closed cultures or religions, or if people of other cultures and religions tell me it's not okay to do so. And I don't take things from initiatory religions that I am not initiated into.

This. And wth a side of "I think really really carefully about doing things that come from cultures that have historically been repressed or restricted or otherwise limited by the dominant culture."

I have occasionally been at rituals - including a Voudoun one - as a guest, but I am very uncomfortable presuming I have more than a very cursory understanding of the cultural anchors of that experience. Visiting somewhere, at invititation, is one thing, assuming the practices of that community would be something else.

I also think a lot about what my own cultural background is. Princess, you mention a lot of family history, but not that these are current cultural practices in your family. For me, that'd mean that I'd need to learn a whole lot more about the specifics - something that would probably take a lot of work and several years - before I could say more than "Yes, that's a part of my family's background, but not something I have much direct experience in."

The example I've used with some people is this: my mother was born to a Jewish father and a Catholic mother, in Vienna in the 1930s. She and her family were refugees from Hitler. I am Jewish enough under the Nuremberg laws to count as Jewish - but while some very specific cultural things around education came down from that side of the family, very little else did. Not a lot of the food traditions, not the holiday traditions, not the religious traditions.

Where that leaves me is that I am Not Jewish, but I have Jewish ancestry. (Enough, actually, that I've had about a dozen people who didn't know my background peg me as Jewish when we first met, all of whom were Jewish from Eastern European backgrounds.) I can go read about the history, I can listen to stories about people, I can honour my own family's experience as refugees in the UK and what that's meant for some family dynamics.

But none of that makes me Jewish. None of that means I could just show up in a synagogue and be treated as Jewish. Or that I should just take over doing Pesach suppers or whatever else without thinking through the details. None of that means I could just read a few books, or a few websites, and assume I have the same experience as someone who grew up Jewish (and, in many places, with the kinds of othering that can come with that.)

I do actually, in years in which I have the energy for this, try to spend some time on Fridays making my home pleasant, and making an extra nice meal, because doing that once a week is about what I'm up for in good years, and it might as well be Friday as any other day. But I don't keep it the same way an observant Jew would keep Shabbat, in anything more than the most basic 'I am setting aside time for the domestic sacred' sort of way.

Anyway, I hope that explanation helps someone.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
and I'm starting to dabble in African culture/magick. I don't want to offend so many groups of people and to be far most African-Americans in America practice Christianity and/or Islam so I don't feel like I'm disrespecting them if I do dabble in Hoodoo or Voodoo.

No offense, but a person should be careful of stereotyping. Regardless of skin colour, many Christians and *absolutely* almost all Muslims would not be tolerant of someone practicing Voudon . In quite a few Islamic theocracies in the world a person would be jailed or worse for even suggesting such a thing.

I believe it's very important to inform oneself of the various belief systems one either practises or puts their practice next to/up against.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »
Anyway, how do you handle being an ecletic witch with the cultural appropriation in mind?

The short answer is: When in doubt, don't do it.

How I actually handle it takes more than a few words to explain.  Rather than type it out again, I'll just refer to this post on my blog: Cultural (Con)Fusion.  

It takes work and there isn't a simple solution, but like most things with eclectic practice, having a basic framework in place can help avoid the worst pitfalls.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:54:41 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;179231
There have been a lot of discusion threads on this subject such as here, here, here, and here

Thanks to Jake_ for posting the links to earlier threads.

I think this is an important issue, and it's one I've wrestled with a lot.

I'll reiterate my views by linking to (or, at least trying to link to) this specific post and the post of mine that follows this one, which I think nicely sum up my thoughts and approach to cultural appropriation in the context of religion:  http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?p=121813
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:41:24 am »
how do you handle being an ecletic witch with the cultural appropriation in mind?

The problem with cultural appropriation in witchcraft is that the witchcraft won't work for you. Because the moment you extract a thing from its context for the sole reason that it contains power within its context, it loses that power (or, worse, the power becomes volatile and unpredictable.) Once upon a time I considered deities to be merely symbolic correspondents and I set up a neo-Wiccan style spell to get a thing done. You think neo-Wicca is fluffy? The ritual had enough non-fluff to it to piss the gods off like whoa because they were not neo-Wiccan. The spell didn't get the thing done that I wanted, but it made other things happen that I hated.

This was not even about morality, it was the simple consequence of my disrespect and ignorance.

The problem with cultural appropriation at all is if you want to talk to other people about what sort of witchcraft you're doing, like you said, it's a hot-button issue...at which a growing number of people are not going to be helpful or friendly. The question becomes: how many other people do you need, so that you do your witchy thing?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:31 am »
Quote from: Faemon;179265
The problem with cultural appropriation in witchcraft is that the witchcraft won't work for you.

I don't necessarily agree with that. If you look at the major types of pagan witchcraft (British Traditional Wicca, Feri, etc.) they are very already very eclectic by nature. Gardner pulled Wicca together from various sources, such as Mediterranean mystery cults, Celtic, culture, Eastern mysticism and philosophy, modern occultism, and so on. Victor Anderson viewed his Feri Tradition as universal, and used various sources, such as Hawaiian Huna, Catholic Marian veneration, Isiac devotion, etc.

Maybe it's politically incorrect, but I don't think cultural appropriation is that big of a deal as long as one is respectful and not trying to exploit these traditions for profit. I mean, it's so common to humanity to incorporate what works from other religions into one's own practice that is is pretty hard to avoid. Something like Christianity, for example, is based on Jewish scriptures but the vast majority of Christians are not Jewish. Ancient cultures incorporated foreign gods into their pantheons and religious systems all the time. Without it, human cultures would be pretty stagnant.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:08 am »
Quote from: Demophon;179271
Maybe it's politically incorrect, but I don't think cultural appropriation is that big of a deal as long as one is respectful and not trying to exploit these traditions for profit. I mean, it's so common to humanity to incorporate what works from other religions into one's own practice that is is pretty hard to avoid. Something like Christianity, for example, is based on Jewish scriptures but the vast majority of Christians are not Jewish. Ancient cultures incorporated foreign gods into their pantheons and religious systems all the time. Without it, human cultures would be pretty stagnant.

(I have nothing to say about Wicca and Feri as I am not part of these trads and need to learn more about them--just addressing the point about Christianity building off Judaism).

That's not necessarily what cultural appropriation is, though.

It's taking practices from cultures that have been marginalized and/or oppressed that the people from the culture have specifically asked people not to take. Kemeticism, f'ex, is not CA. A person outside of Hawaiian culture not taught by someone from Hawaiian culture, who is integrating Hawaiian practices into their own practice, would be appropriating from Hawaiian culture.

It's certainly fine to use what works. But make sure that you're also not misnomering what works--f'ex, again, smoke cleansing is different from smudging in that smudging is a whole, specific ritual *as well as* something people outside of the community it originated from have been asked not to do. But smoke cleansing, which is what most people take to be smudging, is fine to do.

Personally, I do think that marginalized cultures have already had enough taken from them without their permission.

If you (general you) really cannot live without that Thing in your tradition, then go find someone from the culture it originates from to teach you. If you can't, or nobody will teach you, maybe it's time to rethink things a bit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:03:23 am by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:51:41 am »
Quote from: carillion;179251
No offense, but a person should be careful of stereotyping. Regardless of skin colour, many Christians and *absolutely* almost all Muslims would not be tolerant of someone practicing Voudon . In quite a few Islamic theocracies in the world a person would be jailed or worse for even suggesting such a thing.

I believe it's very important to inform oneself of the various belief systems one either practises or puts their practice next to/up against.

And yet hoodoo is a historically Christian practice.

Which takes us to one of my key guidelines around cultural appropriation, which relates to what you've said: how much do you know about the cultural, magical or religious systems you're borrowing from? And how has this affected your moral and ethical frameworks around how you treat those other cultures? This can mean the history behind a set of practices, or why certain things would or wouldn't be done, or even the socio-political history of how our (current) cultures relate to others...

It's relevant to so-called 'dead cultures' where their descendants have opinions about what their ancestors used to do. (F'ex, do you know what calling youself and your practices by a certain cultural name from history would mean to a modern person from that cultural group's ancestors and what they might think of your practices?) But it's even more important in cultural, magical or religious contexts where these practices still exist.

How we behave towards another culture as a whole and their knowledge and practices matters, as part of this. A hoodoo woman I once met talked about being a good guest at someone else else's table, in someone else's culture. She wanted me to think about the *responsibilities* that come with being a member of a privileged majority who works with aspects of a magical system that come from the culture of an oppressed minority. (In a whole other country, in my case.) That system of folk magic is *part* of that culture. You can't remove it and claim it is part of something else. So if, for example, you borrow from hoodoo and then call what you're doing Pagan, you'd better have a good answer for any Christian hoodoo worker who asks you what the hell you're doing with their stuff.

Here's an example of this kind of cultural appropriation. A leading member of an American druid order once got into an argument with me online, about his right to use hoodoo and call it Pagan. He said he didn't mind stealing from Christians who just complain about owning everything and didn't have any rights to a culture when they've stolen from Pagan before anyway (or something along those lines). He appeared not to understand anything about black Christianity, particularly in the US. Nor why hoodoo workers are part of an oppressed minority despite being Christian. Nor what variations exist in the concept of 'Christian', beyond his idea of a modern white American Christian. Nor what effects his misappropriation could have on real people and their cultures. Very bad behaviour from someone who is listened to on the subject of magic.

IMO, none of this means people *can't* practice things from open systems. (Although I take my final cue on that from the people whose culture it is.) But I believe that it does mean looking at what it means to be a good guest in someone else's culture. Personally, I have some of my own guidelines for this. They include:

- not mixing hoodoo with other practices;
- not teaching others about hoodoo, except in a very introductory way, and always being responsible and starting with accurate cultural realities when I do that;
- being aware of practices within the hoodoo community, like the mainly Christian nature of the practices (calling on the Christian God as part of certain workings, f'ex) and deciding if I can do that;
- if I can't do the above, thinking about  whether I should be doing any of the practices at all;
- if I do decide to practice within a different (non-Christian) framework, *not* telling others about that and representing it as 'authentic'.

These are very contextual, fluid guidelines for me, and I'm still working out what they all mean in practice. But the key issue is treating other cultures with respect, not misrepresenting their practices, and learning as much as I can, with a bit of humility.

Sometimes when people start shouting avout how annoying the topic of cultural appropriation is, I think they sometimes want reassurance that they can do whatever they want and it's all fine, or some clear rules in what they should and shouldn't do. Actually, I think this is something that requires deep engagement with other people and other cultures, and actual moral and ethical and philosophical *work* regarding what we believe and practice, why, and what are position in relation to other cultures is and should be. I think more witches and magical practitioners could do with reading some  post-colonial theory instead of some of those Pagan books.

- Leithin Cluan the quiet and unopinionated.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 12:16:32 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;179277

That post was full of typos because I just woke up from a nap. Sorry!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;179272
It's taking practices from cultures that have been marginalized and/or oppressed that the people from the culture have specifically asked people not to take. Kemeticism, f'ex, is not CA. A person outside of Hawaiian culture not taught by someone from Hawaiian culture, who is integrating Hawaiian practices into their own practice, would be appropriating from Hawaiian culture.

This is one of the very tricky bits, IMO.  Because cultures are not monoliths. They are made up of individual people who hold varying opinions on what it's ok to share with people outside the culture and under what circumstances.

To continue with the example of Hawai'i, since that was cited in the quoted post, and because it's one I'm pretty familiar with personally: it's not hard to find members of traditional Hawai'ian culture who will teach hula, f'ex, which is not simply a dance form, but an important part of Hawai'ian spiritual practice. And many of those teachers will teach *authentic* hula.

And, while there aren't a lot, there are some books out there that were written by members of the culture and talk about authentic traditional Hawai'ian spiritual practice. (There are also many more books that are misrepresentations written by people outside the culture.)

So, as someone deeply interested in Hawai'ian spirituality, I can read those books and learn hula and visit sacred sites and read the mythologies and the chants, etc. I can even incorporate some of that into my own spiritual practice.

And some members of the culture are completely fine with that, while others are not.

Just because one member of a culture thinks it's ok to teach outsiders about the culture, that doesn't mean anyone else agrees.

And that is very difficult to balance. It complicates the question of cultural appropriation and blurs the line.

I do think there is a line. On one side of the line are behaviors that are clearly and undeniably appropriative, like learning a little bit about a culture's practices, twisting them into something unrecognizable, calling yourself by the term used for the culture's religious leaders, and selling that as authentic.  The so-called "plastic shaman" comes to mind.

On the other side of the line are behaviors that are clearly and undeniably NOT appropriative. That is, not using elements of culture despite your interest in it.

It's the part in the middle -- that blurry line -- that's tricky.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;179288

I tend to feel there are two critical things that someone in the middle zone has to do for me to feel okay with what they're doing:

1)  Those things which they have learned/picked up as an outsider must always be presented as things they picked up as an outsider.  If I were, say, to learn hula (to pick that example) I would not set myself up afterwards as someone who was qualified to teach hula with its spiritual context intact; I would be able to give people a few basics and then I would say "If you really want to understand this as well as I do, though, you need to go learn from an insider.  The one who taught me was X, you can find other people through Y."

2)  That person must remember that they have an ongoing, complex relationship with the source culture, whenever they are dealing with the things that derive from that source culture.  Those people are not Over There and not of concern; as a caretaker of some fraction of Their Stuff a person using Their Stuff has to have some level of care for them as well.  There needs to be some level of ongoing respect for them as people, and ideally some level of contribution to their well-being - not in the colonialist "I know better than you do what's good for you" way, but in ways that respect those people and their desires.  The minimum payment for use of Their Stuff is listening.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 05:25:18 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;179288

This is one of the very tricky bits, IMO. Because cultures are not monoliths. They are made up of individual people who hold varying opinions on what it's ok to share with people outside the culture and under what circumstances.

[...]

Just because one member of a culture thinks it's ok to teach outsiders about the culture, that doesn't mean anyone else agrees.

And that is very difficult to balance. It complicates the question of cultural appropriation and blurs the line.

I do think there is a line. On one side of the line are behaviors that are clearly and undeniably appropriative, like learning a little bit about a culture's practices, twisting them into something unrecognizable, calling yourself by the term used for the culture's religious leaders, and selling that as authentic. The so-called "plastic shaman" comes to mind.

On the other side of the line are behaviors that are clearly and undeniably NOT appropriative. That is, not using elements of culture despite your interest in it.

Certainly it is a blurry line, and that does make questions of appropriation difficult. I wish it weren't such a difficult topic. Because you're right--cultures *aren't* monoliths, and asking everyone to agree may be convenient for you (general you), but squashes important viewpoints.

As has been mentioned before in the thread, it really does take a lot of thought and research and general legwork to navigate. My post does make it seem much more black and white than it actually is, which wasn't my intention.

I now have a question, which might actually be a question for another thread. I'll make a post somewhere when I figure out a way to phrase it better than how it's currently manifesting in my head.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 06:19:02 pm »
Quote from: carillion;179251

I was just pointing out that most African-American in America do not practice traditional African witchcraft.
PrincessKLS

Tags: