Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: What is your favorite Brigid book?  (Read 3208 times)

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What is your favorite Brigid book?
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »
I've been feeling the call to Brigid more in the past few weeks, than I ever had before, possibly with a bit of a head slap telling me I haven't been doing this properly so far. I've read through the resource post, which is amazing, and will be checking out all of the websites listed.  But, if you had to pick one, and only, book about Brigid, which one is your favorite? And what is it that you love? The history? The myths? The ritual? I'm ready to buckle down and do my research, but funds are tight at the moment, so I want my money to go where it will do the most good!  Thanks all in advance!!

Aster Breo

• View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Brigid book?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:42 am »
Quote from: Siannan;179213
But, if you had to pick one, and only, book about Brigid, which one is your favorite? And what is it that you love? The history? The myths? The ritual?

First, let me point you to the Clann Bhride resource list:  https://clannbhride.wordpress.com/clann-bhride-resource-list/, which is an annotated list that includes books, articles, websites, and more.

I'd have to say that the Clann Bhride Book of Hours (available as a free pdf download or as a paperback for a small price, info here: https://clannbhride.wordpress.com/about/) is my favorite book about Brighid.  But I might be a tiny bit biased, since I'm a co-author.  ;-)

Seriously, it's a good mix of historical info, ritual, prayers, etc., and I do think it's a very good place to start.

My favorite Brighid book that I wasn't involved in writing is probably a tie between:

Ó Duinn, Seán, The Rites of Brigid, Goddess and Saint, The Columba Press, 2005

and

the chapter on Brighid written by Alexei Kondratiev in Harrow, Judy,*Devoted to You: Honoring Deity in Wiccan Practice,*Citadel Press, 2003.

And I'm partway through Courtney Weber's book,*Brigid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddess, Weiser Books, 2015. I'm liking it so far, but haven't finished so can't endorse it yet.

That said, there is quite a bit of good info out there, though a lot is focused specifically on *Saint* Brigit, rather than the goddess.

And there's some some bad info out there, too -- which we've tried to note in the Clann Bhride resource list. I hope you'll take a look at it and let us know what you think.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:29 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;179214
First, let me point you to the Clann Bhride resource list:  https://clannbhride.wordpress.com/clann-bhride-resource-list/, which is an annotated list that includes books, articles, websites, and more.

This site looks great!  I can see myself spending lots of time there!

I'd have to say that the Clann Bhride Book of Hours (available as a free pdf download or as a paperback for a small price, info here: https://clannbhride.wordpress.com/about/) is my favorite book about Brighid.  But I might be a tiny bit biased, since I'm a co-author.  ;-)

Seriously, it's a good mix of historical info, ritual, prayers, etc., and I do think it's a very good place to start.

I'm definitely picking this one up!!

My favorite Brighid book that I wasn't involved in writing is probably a tie between:

Ó Duinn, Seán, The Rites of Brigid, Goddess and Saint, The Columba Press, 2005

and

the chapter on Brighid written by Alexei Kondratiev in Harrow, Judy,*Devoted to You: Honoring Deity in Wiccan Practice,*Citadel Press, 2003.

And I'm partway through Courtney Weber's book,*Brigid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddess, Weiser Books, 2015. I'm liking it so far, but haven't finished so can't endorse it yet.

That said, there is quite a bit of good info out there, though a lot is focused specifically on *Saint* Brigit, rather than the goddess.

And there's some some bad info out there, too -- which we've tried to note in the Clann Bhride resource list. I hope you'll take a look at it and let us know what you think.

~ Aster

I'll check the other two books out as well. I am actually reading the Courtney Weber book now, after I heard her on a podcast. So far, so good, but I'm only a couple chapters in.

Thanks for all of your help, Aster!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
Quote from: Siannan;179230
Thanks for all of your help, Aster!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer!

You're very welcome!

If you're interested in Clann Bhride, you might want to check out our Facebook group, as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/clannbhride/
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: