Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: What's the difference between Hoodoo and Voodoo  (Read 3471 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What's the difference between Hoodoo and Voodoo
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:52:36 pm »
I've lately gotten into using honey jar spells which are a part of Hoodoo and I thought I would look into this more. I know people don't it when some people dabble in different forms of witchcraft but I'm just the very eclectic type, so my intention is never to offend a culture but to use what works for me. As I grow I find that sometimes fluffy bunny practices don't always work with me so I'm experimenting more with practices associated with grey or dark/black magick.
PrincessKLS

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's the difference between Hoodoo and Voodoo
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:47:46 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;179158
I've lately gotten into using honey jar spells which are a part of Hoodoo and I thought I would look into this more. I know people don't it when some people dabble in different forms of witchcraft but I'm just the very eclectic type, so my intention is never to offend a culture but to use what works for me. As I grow I find that sometimes fluffy bunny practices don't always work with me so I'm experimenting more with practices associated with grey or dark/black magick.

The  practises of the belief systems I think you are writing about , (Voudon, Santeria and others of that family) are not, as far as I know, classified as gray or black magic.

Why do you think they are? ( not a criticism, I'm just curious )

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:58:40 am »

The main difference is that hoodoo is a folk magic system that has grown out of African American culture, while Voodoo (New Orleans) and Vodoun (Haitian) are religions. Hoodoo is also called conjure and various other things.

Hoodoo isn't one monolithic thing, though. So you can't classify it *as a whole* as more positive or more negative magic. Some hoodoo practitioners are happy throwing curses. Others are not. To understand some of the reasons why a hoodoo practitioner might throw curses, you need to have some understanding of the culture they are likely to be coming from. This is why eclecticism is fine, but hard to do well. You need to develop some understanding of any culture that you 'borrow' from, IMO.

Interesting books on hoodoo (which I'm more familiar with than Vodoun):

Stephanie Rose Bird's book is good - she grew up in the hoodoo tradition. This isn't a bad place to start as a beginner, as she doesn't assume her readers start with any particular knowledge on the subject.

I love the Hoodoo, Voodoo and Conjure Handbook, but it's very expensive. I've sat in Treadwell's in London and read it longingly for hours! I have an ebay alert out on it, in case it's ever going for less than £20.

I've heard good things about Momma Casas and her books, although I haven't read any yet. Her site has some interesting information.

I was introduced to hoodoo through Cat Yronwode's work, which is very substantial and based on many years of research into the hoodoo community (and the Lucky Mojo store is amazing). However, she takes a particular stance on hoodoo, one that not everyone agrees with, and she hasn't always behaved well towards other members of the hoodoo community who take a different stance on the subject (though the whole situation there is complicated). The info on her site is pretty good, all the same.  

Rachel Patterson's book on the subject is a good starter guide, but she does not come from an African American background, and occasionally she represents things in a slightly odd way. Very good summary, though.

Not In Kansas Anymore: A Curious Tale of How Magic Is Transforming America is an interesting piece of sociological research into various strands of American magic, including hoodoo.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Skinwalker

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »

I have been told it's the magick used in voodoo. I'm not sure if it is correct, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »
Quote from: Skinwalker;179247
I have been told it's the magick used in voodoo. I'm not sure if it is correct, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

It is not.  If you read NaomiJ's response above, you'll see an excellent explanation.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Skinwalker

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;179254
It is not.  If you read NaomiJ's response above, you'll see an excellent explanation.

Thanks!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »

I second every single thing that Naomi J said, including the book recommendations.

I'm a big fan of experimentation, but I would caution you against falling into a "this is fluffy, this is black magic" mindset. That way lies only drama. It's better to just be upfront with YOUR ethics (or lack thereof) and not go blaming the traditions you learn about if you decide to pull something nasty.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:56:35 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;179370
I'm a big fan of experimentation, but I would caution you against falling into a "this is fluffy, this is black magic" mindset.

For that matter, it's just as possible to be fluffy with 'dark' magic - there's nothing about so-called 'dark magic' or 'left-hand paths' that prevents wilful ignorance or a shallow practice, and those who use such an approach as a way to avoid the dread fate of being considered 'fluffy' are likely to be all the more fluffy for doing so.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:40:18 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;179374
For that matter, it's just as possible to be fluffy with 'dark' magic - there's nothing about so-called 'dark magic' or 'left-hand paths' that prevents wilful ignorance or a shallow practice, and those who use such an approach as a way to avoid the dread fate of being considered 'fluffy' are likely to be all the more fluffy for doing so.

Sunflower

I believe it was Melamphoros who said "No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy."
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:56:04 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;179379
I believe it was Melamphoros who said "No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy."

That is both hilarious and true.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »
I've lately gotten into using honey jar spells which are a part of Hoodoo and I thought I would look into this more.

A brief article from the Santeria Church of the Orishas: http://santeriachurch.org/what-is-the-difference-between-hoodoo-and-santeria Scroll down a little. Don't know why there's an error message because the article is underneath it.

Tags: