"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Family: Please Help Me  (Read 3668 times)

Innocent

• View Profile
Please Help Me
« on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »
Hello, I was searching for information when I came upon this site which I hoped would provide me with insight about my childhood. At the age of 6 I met a relative to my Grandparents who seemed like a nice person that took an interest in me when ever he would visit. My first memories of him included mixed "Feelings" about him, like he had a big smile and was kind but when no one was looking his face was really hard and almost mean. He use to give me strange presents as a child, one Christmas I received pins and pin cushion, then bones that he had painted different colors. I also recieved animal parts( chicken foot, dog foot, squirrel foots and tails). No one really approved of his "gifts" but I formed an attachment the moment I received them and would go in to a fit if they were tried to be taken away. This relative also was suspected of molestation of all my aunts. Lately Ive been thinking about the things he gave me and had the creepy "feeling" he was trying to make me like him.

I know how that sounds but, he was close to my uncle who I would describe as a younger version of the relative with traits like him including molesting my cousins and my sister. I told on that uncle and when no one was around he use to say very wicked things to me but his face while saying it reminded me of that relative who gave me those gifts. Ive tried to do a family history on that man but all I can find out is he followed my family up north before i was born. Also everone gets this "dumb expression" whenever his name comes up like he shouldnt be talked about. One last thing is that there are rumors in my family of old magic in my family from a creole branch. Please dont think Im crazy, I just want to starte a brand new life with a bright future, but solving the past while I do it. Help me?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:19:28 pm by RandallS »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Please Help Me
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 12:46:12 pm »
Quote from: Innocent;179118
Please dont think Im crazy, I just want to starte a brand new life with a bright future, but solving the past while I do it. Help me?

Hi there. First, you should understand that this may not be something you can solve - or if you can, you may need the help of your family to do some of it.

There are lots and lots of different kinds of folk magic out there, and there are lots of people who come up with their own methods. The kind of objects you mention are not uncommon in folk magic, but exactly what they mean (or rather, what they meant to that guy) is going to be difficult for anyone not that guy to figure out.

(It's sort of like, oh, have you ever come into a conversation between two other people where they're clearly talking about a book or a movie, and you can guess at some of what it's about, but they're not mentioning names or the title or anything? It's like that. Not enough information.)

There are also lots of creepy people out there, unfortunately. Some people will use magic to do creepy things, and some people will use the *trappings* of folk magic to do creepy things, and make themselves look special/intersting/appealing. The second one's probably a lot more common.

So, what does this mean for you? It seems to me there's two parts you're asking about.

One is about your family history, and if there's anything this guy did that you should know more about. And again, a forum can't help you with that one. If there's a trusted family member you can ask - not just hint around, but say "I remember this guy, and it's been bugging me, and I'm wondering if you can explain more about why no one wants to about what happened?" you might learn more.

On the other hand, I think it's actually sort of logical that your family wouldn't want to talk about people who molested family members, and how they wouldn't necessarily want to open up the subject again just because you're curious. (They may feel guilty they didn't do more to stop it, they may have their own histories with these people that are painful. All sorts of things.)

If you feel you need to know for a specific reason - like having memories you're trying to make sense of, or your own experiences with abuse, things that are having a noticeable impact on your life now, that might be something to discuss with a therapist or counsellor They can also help you work through how to make peace with maybe not getting more details, if that's what happens.

So, the second part of your question seems to me to be about whether there's any lingering effect from those gifts. That one, fortunately, is a bit easier to answer.

If you still have any of them in your home, box them up, and (depending on the material) scatter, bury, or destroy them. (Scatter somewhere wild if it's natural materials that will decompose and not harm anyone while they're doing them. Bonfires work for paper things, or you can tear it into tiny pieces. Stuff you're not sure about can go in the trash, maybe after being drenched in salt water.)

In a lot of southern folk magic traditions (which I'm guessing your family was around, from the creole mention?) there' a concept called 'uncrossing', which is basically a method for helping remove unwanted magical effects.

A really good place to start is prayer - your profile says you're Christian, and that's fine. Pray for help, pray psalms that are meaningful to you, pray for guidance and protection, whatever you feel you need. Spend some time paying attention to the healthy and supportive relationships in your life. If you've been fighting with people, and it's something that maybe could be fixed, spend a bit of time seeing if you can.

(Broken relationships can be a way that  this kind of magical effect can be harder to get rid of: it's usually much harder for this sticky sort of manipulative magic to keep working if you either end a relationship cleanly and admit it can't be fixed, or fix it. Apologies are powerful cleansing and protecting magic, in other words.)

Take time to clean your home, ideally in a way that is about making it a pleasant, attractive, comfortable place to be. Invite friends over, if you can, to help or chat with you while you do it. Throw a party once it's clean. If you don't have friends who are local, put on music you love, or a movie that makes you happy, while you clean. Again, clean spaces make it harder for manipulative magic to stick. For magical effectiveness, you can use a little salt in the wash water to help, or a few drops of an essential oil that's associated with cleansing (lavender, sage, or rosemary are all good choices.)

Finally, clean yourself. There are uncrossing oils you can buy from different places - blends of herbs and oil that are magically associated with cleansing and uncrossing magical effects. I don't have a good source to recommend off the top of my head, but maybe someone along the lines will.

If you don't want to do that, then two really traditional cleansing baths just take stuff you can get at the store. One is salt water - I usually do a couple of handfuls of coarse sea salt (but table salt will do if you can't get the other), and soak, then scrub myself, thinking about all the icky stuff getting washed off, before I dunk my head several times. (Three is a symbolically good number for a lot of people.)

Another option is a beer bath, where you do the same thing, only with beer. Pour a beer into the bath, soak in it for a bit, and dunk your head several times before scrubbing.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Innocent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:33 am »
Thank you. I have a strong faith in my Christian walk that I believe protects me but, I also believe that there are people who have a "talent" given to them by something higher. I was always told I was special and i've felt that i could sense things others couldn't but never gone on to investigate that side of me. Throughout my life i've always drawn certain people to me. Its as if i could pick them out a crowded room, no matter where i go in that room they would follow. I have also noticed everyone who i run across has some double or a person of some relation or affiliation that follows them. Most of the time its like the cartoon of the Good Angel/Red Devil on the shoulder with me and the double wrestling over the persons spirit.

I dont know how to word it. Its all spiritual or energetic. Its so real and fustrating because there are no words and the only witness to it is the other wrestler. I just wondered if it started in my childhood or am i sensitive to certain things. Again, i thank you.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:42:06 am by Innocent »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:09 pm »
Quote from: Innocent;179150
Thank you. I have a strong faith in my Christian walk that I believe protects me but, I also believe that there are people who have a "talent" given to them by something higher. I was always told I was special and i've felt that i could sense things others couldn't but never gone on to investigate that side of me. Throughout my life i've always drawn certain people to me. Its as if i could pick them out a crowded room, no matter where i go in that room they would follow. I have also noticed everyone who i run across has some double or a person of some relation or affiliation that follows them. Most of the time its like the cartoon of the Good Angel/Red Devil on the shoulder with me and the double wrestling over the persons spirit.

Ah, this is a totally different sort of question than what you started with.

I tend to think that sensitivity to this kind of thing is like musical or artistic ability. I think most people have *some* ability, but some people have a very small amount, and other people have a lot more, and for most people, the amount they have isn't going to affect their lives much unless they decide to invest time and energy into developing those abilities.

(Which is a choice that is up to them based on what they care about, the resources they have available, what other things are demanding their attention.)

So. Is this a thing you want to develop? Is it a thing where developing it might cause conflict with your views of your religious faith or practices or view of the world? (You're the only one who can answer that.) Is it a thing you have *reason* to want to develop?

(I, like a lot of people, get occasional moments of reading the energy of a person or room or situation in a way that I think most people don't, but I mostly shrug and take it in as an additional bit of information, and treat it more or less like I would some other piece of information that I couldn't easily verify - it helps guide where I look for more details, but I don't trust it on its own, or assume that whatever that is is right.

There are a lot of ways to approach this kind of experience, in other words, but I think the healthier ones treat it as one input among many, not something Extra Special or Extra Full Of Objective Truth.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »
Quote from: Innocent;179150

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Tags: