Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: I am new to this and I have a few questions  (Read 1302 times)

Jbrlycorn

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
I am new to this and I have a few questions
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »
Ive been reading on paganism for a few years really and from what Ive read i agree with everything. As far as god is concerned you could say Im Agnostic but then I believe in energy and that everything in the univers that has a spark of life in it is all connected and the source energy is god and we are just part of it so that makes us all part god, so in this sense Im not agnostic but more pantheist. Now I could probably get answers from my girlfriend as she is wiccan but Id rather find out things myself and I was reading up on paganism way before I met her. But its kind of kickstarted me to want to know more, I agree with everything but the one thing Im unsure about is the gods and goddesses and since I dont actualy belive in a god literaly its a difficult one, I need it explaining more clearly really, I am thinking that in paganism its not literal and they used to symbolize and thats what Im thinking, if thats the case then thats good. Ive ordered two books offline a couple of days ago and I'll probably get them tomorrow one is a book called Natural Magic: Seasonal Guide to Traditional Witchcraft and the other is called Wiccan Bible: Exploring the Mysteries of the Craft from Birth to Summerland as I want to get my head around both wiccan and traditional witchcraft.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: I am new to this and I have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »
Quote from: Jbrlycorn;179083
But its kind of kickstarted me to want to know more, I agree with everything but the one thing Im unsure about is the gods and goddesses and since I dont actualy belive in a god literaly its a difficult one, I need it explaining more clearly really, I am thinking that in paganism its not literal and they used to symbolize and thats what Im thinking, if thats the case then thats good.

Paganism covers a whole bunch of different religions and spiritual paths - some are very deity centered, and others aren't.

Traditional Wicca generally very much is - the core rituals are centered on the interactions of two particular deities (and there are practices whereby these deities can speak and convey material in ritual, in some circumstances.) While there are certainly symbolic, cyclical, and other aspects that might be a lot better fit for you, you might find that more traditional Wiccan stuff (or stuff closely derived from it) isn't a good fit for you.

Fortunately, there's a lot of other forms of witchcraft and a lot of other forms of Paganism. In your position, I'd suggest looking at Marion Green's _A Witch Alone_, which has some deity mentions, but if I remember correctly, is mostly nature and cycle based celebrations and magic. I know a number of pantheist and animist Pagans who find the forms of Reclaming ritual and magic a good framework (here, I'd suggest _Twelve Wild Swans_ by Starhawk and Hilary Valentine, or perhaps Starhawk's _Earth Magic_, which is more ecological in focus.)

Wiccan Bible: Exploring the Mysteries of the Craft from Birth to Summerland as I want to get my head around both wiccan and traditional witchcraft.

You should know that A.J. Drew's books are - very very mixed, in terms of sources, historical reliability, and a dozen other things. They are not a good depiction of common Wiccan or Wiccan-derived practices: there's a lot of things that he ignores that are common in the larger community, and a lot of things in the larger community that he misinterprets, confuses, or otherwise doesn't handle in a helpful way. Some people do find specific ideas in there very helpful, but you shouldn't assume anything there is the way other people do it/approach it/handle it without checking with several other sources.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:29:29 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;179084

You should know that A.J. Drew's books are - very very mixed, in terms of sources, historical reliability, and a dozen other things. They are not a good depiction of common Wiccan or Wiccan-derived practices: there's a lot of things that he ignores that are common in the larger community, and a lot of things in the larger community that he misinterprets, confuses, or otherwise doesn't handle in a helpful way. Some people do find specific ideas in there very helpful, but you shouldn't assume anything there is the way other people do it/approach it/handle it without checking with several other sources.

Seconding Jenett's comments.  

I would take anything by Drew as representative only of his own views and practices, or rather his former views as he now self-describes as Catholic.  He's considered by many to be a very poor and problematic source of information.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

MayaPapaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:47 pm »
Quote from: Jbrlycorn;179083
I agree with everything but the one thing Im unsure about is the gods and goddesses and since I dont actualy belive in a god literaly its a difficult one, I need it explaining more clearly really, I am thinking that in paganism its not literal and they used to symbolize and thats what Im thinking, if thats the case then thats good.

This is very similar to what i believe. I believe the gods and goddesses are more symbolic than actual beings. That's why the label pantheist fits better. I, like you, am trying to find ways to do rituals that aren't so deity-centric. I'm going to check out the books Jennett mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:59:36 pm by MayaPapaya »

Tags: