collapse

Author Topic: Need a General Direction of Study  (Read 2504 times)

Kraken

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Need a General Direction of Study
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
Hello all :)

I know paganism is a very broad area that covers many religions so I would like to narrow down what I should study based on what I am drawn towards and would like you advice on this :)

-I'm very drawn to Mother Goddess and Father God (Mother Earth/Horned God?)
-I'm open to the idea of being in contact with other gods or goddesses but I'm primarily interested in the duo theology--how does one go about contacting other gods/goddesses/Father God/Mother Goddess?
-I am beginning to understand a little bit more about spells and magick and am looking for some beginner spells or resources to spells and/or prayers that can aid me into a straighter path...as well as peace through anxiety and depression---However, I still don't know much about magick or spells, so any help with that would be great as well
-I love the idea of being around nature and worshiping nature/stars
-I believe in an afterlife, growing more open to the idea of reincarnation
-I believe stones and herbs can aid in promoting a positive environment and healing
-I would like some guidance on meditation and mindfulness
-I would like to set up an altar to create a positive and sacred space for me to pray, meditate, contact God/Goddess etc...I don't know much about this either and wondering how to do this and the necessary things I need to know about it
-What about things like "witch names" or "animal totems"? Curious about that as well

Based on what I am drawn towards, what should I be studying? I appreciate all suggestions! Thank you so much :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:34:19 pm by Kraken »
"you have risen from the ashes, with outspread arms, face to the sun, eyes closed, full of radiance..."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a General Direction of Study
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:29 am »
Quote from: Kraken;178890

I know paganism is a very broad area that covers many religions so I would like to narrow down what I should study based on what I am drawn towards and would like you advice on this :)

My comp is running slow so I can't pull up the link, but the belief-o-matic religion quiz matches your beliefs with religions and provides you a complete list of results. I used to research the top ones that I was paired with and then go from there.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Kraken

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178913
My comp is running slow so I can't pull up the link, but the belief-o-matic religion quiz matches your beliefs with religions and provides you a complete list of results. I used to research the top ones that I was paired with and then go from there.

Looks like I wound up with "Neo-paganism" ... I'm still not sure where to go from there ^_^
"you have risen from the ashes, with outspread arms, face to the sun, eyes closed, full of radiance..."

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:39:04 am »
Quote from: Kraken;178928
Looks like I wound up with "Neo-paganism" ... I'm still not sure where to go from there ^_^

I'd recommend reading Jenett's Seeking site for some suggestions.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:23:59 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178929
I'd recommend reading Jenett's Seeking site for some suggestions.

To expand on that - one of the things that's true for a lot of religions under the Pagan umbrella are that it's not shared *beliefs* that matter as much as shared practices (especially if you're at all interested in doing things with other people now or eventually.)

There's a couple of lists of questions on my site about how to narrow down some things about practices and see what might be available near you (for values of 'near'). We're also in Pagan Pride season, and if there are events you can get to, that can be an easy way to get a taste of a lot of different kinds of practices in one place.

(Pagan Pride events are free and open to the public, and while the majority are in the US, there are some in Canada and other places around the world - http://paganpride.org will help you find if there are any near you. They're required to have a ritual and some sort of charitable donation, but many of them also have vendors, workshops, musical performances, and other events. Even if you can't get to one, looking at the lists of people and groups at the ones nearest you can give you some ideas.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »
Quote from: Kraken;178928

Huh. Sorry! I remembered it being more detailed than that.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:39 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178942
Huh. Sorry! I remembered it being more detailed than that.

Unfortunately, that sort of quiz thing is usually written by someone who's heard of paganism enough to include it but not enough to distinguish between read-a-book Wicca and Asatru. :P
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Kraken

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:57 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;178935
To expand on that - one of the things that's true for a lot of religions under the Pagan umbrella are that it's not shared *beliefs* that matter as much as shared practices (especially if you're at all interested in doing things with other people now or eventually.)

Ah, that is helpful to know as well...I'll be navigating the website wit that in mind :)

...We're also in Pagan Pride season, and if there are events you can get to, that can be an easy way to get a taste of a lot of different kinds of practices in one place.)

Luckily I found out about my local pagan community last year and have been exposing myself to the culture little by little and will be attending Pagan Pride Day in early September :) everyone I have met through this community are very kind and welcoming :) they also have "Pagan Coffee Socials" once a month but I haven't attended yet...I would like to next time around I think. Thank you!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:02:42 am »
Quote from: Kraken;178890

-I'm very drawn to Mother Goddess and Father God (Mother Earth/Horned God?)
-I'm open to the idea of being in contact with other gods or goddesses but I'm primarily interested in the duo theology--how does one go about contacting other gods/goddesses/Father God/Mother Goddess?
-I am beginning to understand a little bit more about spells and magick and am looking for some beginner spells or resources to spells and/or prayers that can aid me into a straighter path...as well as peace through anxiety and depression---However, I still don't know much about magick or spells, so any help with that would be great as well
-I love the idea of being around nature and worshiping nature/stars
-I believe in an afterlife, growing more open to the idea of reincarnation
-I believe stones and herbs can aid in promoting a positive environment and healing
-I would like some guidance on meditation and mindfulness
-I would like to set up an altar to create a positive and sacred space for me to pray, meditate, contact God/Goddess etc...I don't know much about this either and wondering how to do this and the necessary things I need to know about it
-What about things like "witch names" or "animal totems"? Curious about that as well

Based on what I am drawn towards, what should I be studying? I appreciate all suggestions! Thank you so much :)

With at least some of your criteria mentioned, I guess that the following traditions are worthy to consider:

* Eclectic Wicca of the sort presented by Scott Cunningham
* The 1743 Witchcraft of Joseph Bearwalker Wilson
* RDNA and its several daughter organizations
* Some (but probably not all) forms of British Druidry

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 05:43:10 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;179061
With at least some of your criteria mentioned, I guess that the following traditions are worthy to consider:

* The 1743 Witchcraft of Joseph Bearwalker Wilson

To provide a correction that will help with searching: it's 1734, not the one given (easy typo!) For the curious, that's not a date, it's a number symbolically relevant to the tradition.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:21:43 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;179082
To provide a correction that will help with searching: it's 1734, not the one given (easy typo!) For the curious, that's not a date, it's a number symbolically relevant to the tradition.

Thank you for the correction. The mistake was entirely non-intentional. I didn't notice that I had switched the figures.

Kraken

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;179061

* The 1734 Witchcraft of Joseph Bearwalker Wilson

I thank you for this :) I was looking a bit more into Wicca and Druidry because that seemed most appealing to me ^_^

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
Quote from: Kraken;179093
I thank you for this :) I was looking a bit more into Wicca and Druidry because that seemed most appealing to me ^_^

I love Druidry! I just finished my Bardic level through OBOD. If you look into them and have any questions feel free to ask here or in a PM. :)

Tags: