Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Changing your name  (Read 5102 times)

Apollodorus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Changing your name
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 04:41:13 am »
Quote from: Jack;178859

I'm still waffling on whether I want to keep a variation on it as a middle name or part of a middle name. Keeping it would be both a kind of respect to my ancestor (who I did love) and a way to smooth over some possible future weirdness about the name change.

I have the same thought because in Hellas the give you the name of you grandpa/grandma. Except for sick babies or pregnant mothers where they offer the child to a Saint or Jesus and Holy Mary so the child gets their name.

Mine comes from my grandpa and first cousin. Since i lost both them, grandpa less than a month ago i was thinking of keeping Ilias as a middle name for them and for my parents who always tell me that i remind them of my cousin. But i'd like to have hellenic name for formal use.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 07:50:34 am »
Quote from: Apollodorus;178862
Mine comes from my grandpa and first cousin. Since i lost both them, grandpa less than a month ago i was thinking of keeping Ilias as a middle name for them and for my parents who always tell me that i remind them of my cousin.

I am sorry.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:15 am »
Quote from: Jack;178859
Like Jake, I'm in the process of doing it for other reasons. The name change process itself is fairly straightforward where I live, though expensive.

My birth name is not obviously religious, but I was named after a relative who took Catholic holy orders and my current legal name is actually their chosen faith name. I'm still waffling on whether I want to keep a variation on it as a middle name or part of a middle name. Keeping it would be both a kind of respect to my ancestor (who I did love) and a way to smooth over some possible future weirdness about the name change.

Technically Jack is a diminuative of John, which is of course strongly associated with Christianity. But one could argue that the name John is so widely used as to be largely secularized, and more than that it's not personally religious in the way my given name is. The vague meaning of the name doesn't weigh on me nearly as much as the circumstance of my given name.

I've recently made a name change myself for reasons other than religious too and the funny thing is that first name wise, I've actually changed my first name to a name associated with a figure from the Bible from a name that could be construed as having pagan symbolism due to it being the name of a plant that has been given spiritual significance in pagan eyes. But it's also a plant that has had Christian symbolism attached to it too, so I don't really categorize it as "definitely a pagan name".

Tom or Thomas, however, does not actually mean anything specific relating to god as it is derived from words meaning "twin" and it does have personal relevance to me outside of a Christian context. It's also incredibly common as in Jack's case to the point that we literally had two people named that running against each other in our last gubernatorial election in my state.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »
Quote from: Apollodorus;178736
Have you ever considered of changing your name because your previous was related to an older religion, inherited by your family?
Anyone who've done this? Was it difficult? Were there any other changes in your life which you'd like to discuss?

My name change wasn't religiously motivated, unless you count the need to purify myself of my bio-sire's influence in my life as religious. I was raised Buddhist by my mom, and my name had basically zero religious ties. I mean, Jacob is a name from the Bible, but it was my middle name (in the form of Jacoba, because that's better) because it was my mom's father's name. Charles ("Chuck") was my bio-sire's father's name, so Charly became my other middle name (and that one has no religious meaning so far as I know; from what I can see it comes from a Germanic word meaning "man"). But my first name was chosen because it was sort of connected to many of the women's names in the family. Family names, all the way down.  

I went through a legal name change last year to get rid of my bio-sire's last name and take on just my mother's, and to change around my first and middle names. There wasn't anything wrong with my given name, it just wasn't me, and by that point I'd been going by a different first name for 7ish years -- one that was much more me. So I changed my first name to the one I'd been going by, moved my original first name to a middle name, dropped one of the 2 original middle names I had, and added another one -- Ayla -- in honor of what my mom had wanted to name me before my bio-sire threw an  almighty fit.  

So I now have 3 middle names instead of my original 2, but my last name is no longer a hyphenated monstrosity that reminds me of all the crap my bio-sire put me through every time I look at it, so I think it evens out.

The name change itself was a relatively easy process, but changing all of my various forms of IDs and making sure the seventy billion gov't agencies that need my name know of the new one (because apparently none of them talk to each other)? That's a bit more difficult/involved/annoying as hell.

Most annoying is changing my name with MSP. Health care services and the driver's license/BC ID card are now somewhat integrated -- but not integrated enough that changing my name with one of them changes my name with both. So although I have my new name on my driver's license, I still have to jump through hoops so that next time I break a limb I'm not having to give my old name at the hospital every time.

Another thing that becomes kind of trying when going through this process is the sheer number of people who, upon hearing me say "I changed my name and need to make sure it's all updated here," immediately say "Oh! When did you get married?"

Because marriage is the only possible reason someone socially classed as female could want to change their name. The only. one.

Also, none of your business, gov't workers. None. of your. beeswax.

(And when I reply with "I didn't," they give me a look like I've grown a second head, and ask me then whyyyyy did I want to change my name? You don't need to understand! You just need to file my paperwork!)

(Side note, when I was a kid I found the Twelve Tasks of Asterix absolutely hilarious because of the bit where he had to fight the bureaucracy. I think even then I understood what my future held as a Canadian citizen.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
Have you ever considered of changing your name because your previous was related to an older religion, inherited by your family?
Anyone who've done this? Was it difficult? Were there any other changes in your life which you'd like to discuss?

I changed my legal name about 6 years ago. my birth name.. never fit. I searched for a long time .. finally chose name that is gender neutral, took my aunt's last name as middle name and a new last name that's becoming interestingly more accurate over the last few years.

it was difficult finding/choosing the right name.. other than the cost the rest was fairly easy-legally and identification wise.

I didn't really understand the reason the last night felt so right when i chose it, but it's gotten more and more clear why I chose the names I did.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:37 pm »

I've changed my name a fair bit, but never legally.

These days, the majority of people know me by my pen name, Sam Flintlock, not my birth name.

And you have the myriad names I've used on Internet forums, each of which has had a different persona (sometimes more blatantly than others).  There's also those which have also found themselves used in meatspace; there's a whole contingent of people who still think of me as "Duck".

I've even had to end a name/persona after it all went a bit Ziggy Stardust.

And there's those names that are a bit embarrassing now.  "Sam Liberty" may have been who I was at 21, but it's a bit cringeworthy with the benefit of hindsight.  And it's probably better for my health that "Sam Speed" is no longer a name I'm known by.

Names can be useful tools in my view, but they're also as fluid as you want them to be.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Kirke

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:19 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;179368
I've changed my name a fair bit, but never legally.

I left the Christian church about 10 years ago and at that time I also legally changed my middle name Kristina (=Christian woman) to a Pagan Goddess name. I was expecting people to comment more on that but people rarely ask. Probably because it´s just a middle name.
I love it and I haven´t looked back. It´s great not having to carry an old name that no longer fits.

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 11:17:06 pm »

I haven't done it yet, but I have full intention of changing my middle & last name. The former because it's biblical and gender-specific.

The latter would be changed to fix my personality, the sources I trust indicate that it's a violent name that encourages me to be unfocused in my various projects. And, well, it's accurate to my blood relatives with that name.
Wazhazhe

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31:03 am »

When I became Hindu I took the "liturgical" name Jainarayan, Hindi for "Victory to God" (Vishnu), but I didn't make any legal change. I used it only for the internet as a handle, and have dropped it, as I am no longer Hindu. I know a white Canadian husband and wife who adopted Hinduism about 40 years ago and legally changed their names and use them in everyday life. In the beginning they got a lot of :rolleye:: :rolleye::  :rolleye:: from family, co-workers and acquaintances.

When I adopted Heathenry I began using the name Thorbjorn (thunder bear) as an alias. I haven't changed my name legally and probably won't. Though I am of 73% Italian and Sicilian descent (the other 27% contains Northern European) my real name, ironically has Germanic roots. From my personal DNA test and some research I found that my given name is Germanic, my surname is most likely Norman-derived. So, as a Heathen, I'm already there with a Germanic-flavored name. ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:32:16 am by Jainarayan »

Tags: