collapse

Author Topic: Smudge alternatives  (Read 4671 times)

MissNikiL

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Smudge alternatives
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »
Much to my chagrin I am allergic to the common smudge options of sage, cedars, juniper, and lavender. With sage and cedar it is an anaphylactic response, the others are tactile and nasal. Any suggestions for alternatives that won't prompt my body to freak out? I have more allergies, but those are the biggest culprits. Go figure.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Smudge alternatives
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:41 pm »
Quote from: MissNikiL;178569
Much to my chagrin I am allergic to the common smudge options of sage, cedars, juniper, and lavender. With sage and cedar it is an anaphylactic response, the others are tactile and nasal. Any suggestions for alternatives that won't prompt my body to freak out? I have more allergies, but those are the biggest culprits. Go figure.

Do you react allergically to palo santo wood too? I think it comes from Ecuador.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »

Have you tried stepping back and thinking about why you are smudging and what could be used to evoke that goal?

For example: for me, the smell of the dryer sheets that my mother used in the laundry evokes a feeling of clean and well-being, and not too long ago I actually found a perfume that smells exactly the same.  Were I to cleanse a space, I might put a drop or two of it in a spray bottle with water and use that rather than something that has no personal meaning for me, or something I can't tolerate.

Just my $0.02.  YMMV.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:47 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178685
Have you tried stepping back and thinking about why you are smudging and what could be used to evoke that goal?

For example: for me, the smell of the dryer sheets that my mother used in the laundry evokes a feeling of clean and well-being, and not too long ago I actually found a perfume that smells exactly the same.  Were I to cleanse a space, I might put a drop or two of it in a spray bottle with water and use that rather than something that has no personal meaning for me, or something I can't tolerate.

Just my $0.02.  YMMV.

I love the idea of using perfume that reminds you of a safe time!  I was going to suggest some kind of water based spray as well, either with herbs or oils that speak to you of cleansing.

There are a lot of ways to clear a space.  I have made passes with a candle, used a fan (the folding kind, mine is made of sandalwood so there is a slight scent), used a smudging fan (no incense, just the fan), sprinkling salt, or even a branch of a tree/plant you find sacred dipped in blessed water.  I think smudging is the 'in' thing right now, it's getting a lot of attention, but it is definitely not the only way to cleanse an area.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »

Salt is an old classic for general cleansing.

Also, if you are able to handle the herbs safely while they're not on fire, you could make a broom out of them and "sweep away" negative energies.

I'm sure there are other purifying herbs around. Hyssop comes to mind, though I think that's more a Biblical thing? I don't work much with herbs myself, but other folks around here are sure to know more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178766

I'm sure there are other purifying herbs around. Hyssop comes to mind, though I think that's more a Biblical thing? I don't work much with herbs myself, but other folks around here are sure to know more.

Hyssop is also a standard magical one.

The other one I'd suggest considering is rosemary - one of my favourite cleansing things with objects (rather than with sound, which I also use a lot) is salt water flicked all over the place with an asperger made from a couple of rosemary sprigs tied with ribbon or yarn.

(An asperger is basically the name for 'that thing you used to flick water all over the place with. It's possible to use your fingers, too, and in that case, I'd do a little salt water + maybe a drop or two of essential oil from something that's well tolerated.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:36:43 am »
Any suggestions for alternatives that won't prompt my body to freak out?

I'd suggest cleansing with sound, such as ringing bells, cymbals, gongs, or running a wet fingertip against a wineglass.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Fleur

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:06:49 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;178573
Do you react allergically to palo santo wood too? I think it comes from Ecuador.

I was going to suggest Palo Santo wood as well, since I kind of love it. Plus, I've received strong messages from my altar that deities and spirits are not a fan of white sage smoke - it's an irritant to them, apparently.

I know some people use Peaceful Home powder as well - you can buy it online.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:26:29 pm »

I'm not certain if it would cause an allergic reaction, but recanings (Nordic smoke cleansings) mugwort is used.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;178785
I'd suggest cleansing with sound, such as ringing bells, cymbals, gongs, or running a wet fingertip against a wineglass.

I've found bells (or a brass singing bowl) to be the most effective method for me.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:39 am »

My familiy's allergies and reactions to herbs as not as strong as yours, but my family can't stand the smell of incense or sage. I found blessed (or consecrated) water and salt works just as well.  You boil the water, stir in some salt, and pour it into a spray bottle.  And for a little extra kick add some lemon.  Instant physical and spiritual cleaner. ;)

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »

Another herb to try for smoke cleansing is rosemary (I'm a fan because I grow a few Arp upright shrubs and it's so easy to dry & make wands etc from it). Have mixed it with mugwort too for quite a powerful but pleasant blend.

Not sure how your allergies will handle it, but if you're super keen on smoke cleansing, might be worth a shot?

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »

Others have suggested making your own by using boiling water and salt. I believe you can get this elsewhere too in spray bottles. You may even be able to request specific ones.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »

I personally love Palo Santo over any other smudging alternative.  I also love the idea of just using a fan, as well as smudging with sound.  This is the first time I hear about it, and I believe will work in nicely with my craft since I use music in my craft.

Littlewolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:54 pm »
Any suggestions for alternatives that won't prompt my body to freak out? I have more allergies, but those are the biggest culprits. Go figure.

I have a suggestion that may seem a little unique. Would consider using a snake? Snakes are very powerful symbols in many religions, strongly associated with energy of both genders, and they are symbols of rebirth and healing. I may be mistaken but in voodoo snakes are used to draw out negativity and even to convert it to good. I personally prefer them because even if i smudge i worry were the negativity goes after leaving my house, and keeping a snake for a pet feels like having a roomba that cleans the energy all the time without me having to worry about it.

Tags: