collapse

Author Topic: Nature Doesn't Love You, Abrahamic God Does  (Read 11634 times)

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Nature Doesn't Love You, Abrahamic God Does
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
Quote from: Altair;178539
I stumbled across this on a Catholic website, and as one whose paganism is firmly rooted in the natural world, I was struck by it on several levels:

FORUM: Mother Nature Is One Unreliable Lady

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/forum-mother-nature-is-one-unreliable-lady

"And the consistent Biblical message is that this Creator God is not like the arbitrary and capricious gods of the ancient world; rather, he is reliable, rock-like in his steadfast love, more dedicated to human beings than a mother is to her child"

...to which one immediate reaction on my part was: Is he nuts?? Has he read the Old Testament? Just off the top of my head (and I know the Christian bible poorly at best)--the story of Noah and the great flood, in which his god kills virtually all of humanity, not to mention the rest of land-based life; that's a "consistent Biblical message" of a god "rock-like in his steadfast love"??

I read this quickly, so I want to go back and read it more carefully to critique it fully, but I'd love to hear others' specific refutations or, for that matter, affirmations of what the author proposes.

And BTW, I *adore* the ad that the author references and dismisses as “just more tree-hugging extremism”--he might want to get right with his now environmentally minded pope on that bias. I posted something about this ad here at the Cauldron a while ago, but here it is again, for those who are interested:

I find this highly amusing since it comes from a guy who's god allowed babies to be slaughtered to protect his own kid.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »
Quote from: Wiccan Mama;179421
I find this highly amusing since it comes from a guy who's god allowed babies to be slaughtered to protect his own kid.

What?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;179429
What?
I think she's referring to the story about Herod the Great and the massacre of the male children in Bethlehem?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;179431
I think she's referring to the story about Herod the Great and the massacre of the male children in Bethlehem?

But that's not what happened? God didn't "allow" it. Herod made it happen. If Herod had had his way, Jesus would have been killed, which  would have meant Christianity would not have been a thing.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 05:09:56 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;179432
But that's not what happened? God didn't "allow" it. Herod made it happen. If Herod had had his way, Jesus would have been killed, which  would have meant Christianity would not have been a thing.
Well, it's also likely that the massacre itself never actually occurred, so there's that....
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 05:11:18 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;179435
Well, it's also likely that the massacre itself never actually occurred, so there's that....

Well lots of myths never happened, that doesn't make them not important

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 05:12:56 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;179437
Well lots of myths never happened, that doesn't make them not important
I agree. That wasn't my point.

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 11:02:21 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;179431

Bingo.  Granted I am not the most intelligent person in the world, but if the christian god is all knowing, and is defined by them as the epitome of love, then why did he allow this to happen. Why did he not stop it?  As was mentioned in another post, it is more than likely a myth.  But still.....

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;179435

On the one hand, there are no attestations of the event other than the Gospel of Matthew, including in Jewish tradition, and Matthew is (if I'm remembering right) the text most interested in coming up with ways of spinning Jewish prophetic work and tradition to indicate Jesus was intended; on the other hand, Herod was well-known for offing people who he thought might possibly be a danger to him; on the gripping hand, "the dictator controlling this region killed a half-dozen to a dozen people in a village" is, well, Tuesday.

The numbers claimed in some versions of the story are certainly incorrect; there weren't enough people to kill that many people!  Particularly not in a tight age bracket!  At plausible actual numbers it could go either way.

(Thoughts brought to you by some half-remembered Stuff and some quick internets research.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: