collapse

Author Topic: Flower Folklore/symbolism  (Read 3859 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Flower Folklore/symbolism
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:23:18 pm »
hey, I'm looking for reliable books and websites on flower folklore and/or symbolism. I would much prefer academic/academic leaning with sources.

I'm totally fine with stuff that talks about lore that's not really old as long as it at acknowledges that

thanks
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Flower Folklore/symbolism
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:56 am »
Quote from: Jake_;178468
hey, I'm looking for reliable books and websites on flower folklore and/or symbolism. I would much prefer academic/academic leaning with sources.

I'm totally fine with stuff that talks about lore that's not really old as long as it at acknowledges that

I'm afraid the only thing I can think of is http://www.languageofflowers.com which is specifically about the meanings ascribed to flowers when they're in bouquets.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

thanks

The two volume Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe by Marcel De Cleene and Marie Claire Lejeune. They are rather expensive to purchase, but you might luck into finding them at a large library?
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;178716
I'm afraid the only thing I can think of is http://www.languageofflowers.com which is specifically about the meanings ascribed to flowers when they're in bouquets.

That web site seems a bit...off? to me. BUT they do have a bibliography so thank you!
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:42 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;178719
The two volume Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe by Marcel De Cleene and Marie Claire Lejeune. They are rather expensive to purchase, but you might luck into finding them at a large library?

Thank you

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 07:55:19 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;178723
That web site seems a bit...off? to me. BUT they do have a bibliography so thank you!

Oh, and several of their sources are actual mid-19th-century books on the subject, too. So, it's the most reliable resource on the topic that I've yet seen - there's a lot of patch-and-fill and just plain pull it out of one's arse on the topic... and I've strong suspicions that the Victorian iteration was similarly patched together and pulled out of arses.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »

thanks

Do you have access to any databases like JSTOR? I could recommend some articles about flowers and flower symbolism. In fact I have several documents in my possession. I can think of about 4 or 5 articles that might interest you.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »
Quote from: Yei;178811
Do you have access to any databases like JSTOR? I could recommend some articles about flowers and flower symbolism. In fact I have several documents in my possession. I can think of about 4 or 5 articles that might interest you.

Alas, no

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:36 am »
Quote from: Jake_;178991
Alas, no

Well, you might still be able to find some on Google Scholar or perhaps at your local library anyway.

1): 'Flower Mountain: Concepts of Life, Beauty, and Paradise among the Classic Maya' by   Karl A. Taube.
2) 'Flowery Heaven: The Aesthetics of Paradise in Nahuatl Devotional Literature' by Louise M. Burkhart.
3) 'The Flower World in Material Culture: An Iconographic Complex in the Southwest and Mesoamerica' by Kelly Hays-Gilpin and Jane H. Hill.
4) 'Concept of the Garden in Pre-Hispanic Mexico' by Patrizia Granziera.
5) 'Late Classic Maya Water Management and Community Organization at Copan, Honduras' by Karla L. Davis-Salazar.

If you can't find them directly you could always ask a family member or a friend who is at Uni to get you these articles.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:37 pm »
hey, I'm looking for reliable books and websites on flower folklore and/or symbolism.

I haven't read it myself, but this book was recommended to me:

Seven Flowers: And How They Shaped Our World https://www.amazon.com/dp/1468308173/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Hbs1vbWADQ4J1
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 12:42:58 pm »

thanks

What exactly are you looking for? Because this could go a couple different ways. :)

If you're looking for broad-based folklore/historical plant lore, I and others made recommendations in this thread:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=2823.0

If you're looking specifically for the Victorian language of flowers, there's information here:

http://www.proflowers.com/blog/floriography-language-flowers-victorian-era

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:01 pm »
Quote from: Yei;179035
Well, you might still be able to find some on Google Scholar or perhaps at your local library anyway.

1): 'Flower Mountain: Concepts of Life, Beauty, and Paradise among the Classic Maya' by   Karl A. Taube.
2) 'Flowery Heaven: The Aesthetics of Paradise in Nahuatl Devotional Literature' by Louise M. Burkhart.
3) 'The Flower World in Material Culture: An Iconographic Complex in the Southwest and Mesoamerica' by Kelly Hays-Gilpin and Jane H. Hill.
4) 'Concept of the Garden in Pre-Hispanic Mexico' by Patrizia Granziera.
5) 'Late Classic Maya Water Management and Community Organization at Copan, Honduras' by Karla L. Davis-Salazar.

If you can't find them directly you could always ask a family member or a friend who is at Uni to get you these articles.

Thank you for this, I'll see if I can get access to them

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:41 pm »
Quote from: catja6;179066
What exactly are you looking for? Because this could go a couple different ways. :)

If you're looking for broad-based folklore/historical plant lore, I and others made recommendations in this thread:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=2823.0

If you're looking specifically for the Victorian language of flowers, there's information here:

http://www.proflowers.com/blog/floriography-language-flowers-victorian-era

both of these are really useful. Thank you

other-wise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 08:09:58 pm »

The Wildflower Center at the University of Texas is a phenomenal resource here in Austin. Their website has an excellent plant database (though, it doesn't have symbology/lore it does have plenty of information on where the flower is native to, when it blooms, other regional names, etc) and all kinds of other information. If you ever find yourself in the area, it's well worth a visit!  

They do have a few well-researched documents on legends and lore of Texas wildflowers that also have some fantastic sources cited that you might find useful (and will lead beyond just Texas-native plants):
http://www.wildflower.org/youthactivities/legends_folkore_part1.pdf
http://www.wildflower.org/youthactivities/legends_folkore_part2.pdf

Tags: