Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Holistic healing and MS  (Read 1115 times)

Gabriel

• View Profile
    • http://gabrielcassata.tumblr.com
Holistic healing and MS
« on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:05 pm »
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) about 8 years ago and, needless to say, it was a life changer.

My journey with the disease began with occasional relapses and remissions but remained largely manageable. In recent years, the disease has started to become more progressive and will only get worse with age. Overall, it's still manageable but chronic, lingering physical effects are becoming more persistent.

My doctors are supportive of holistic healing approaches as long as they don't interfere with my primary treatment. However, I am an absolute beginner to holistic arts. Friends and family have offered suggestions but they seem to vary wildly.

Has anyone here had firsthand experience with holistic healing for MS? Or possibly some resources to begin exploring a supplementary treatment path?
my Art & Illustration portfolio

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Holistic healing and MS
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »
Quote from: Gabriel;178162
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) about 8 years ago and, needless to say, it was a life changer.

LyricFox has just been diagnosed with MS (adding to the long list of her medical issues) so I've been doing a bit of reading. I'm a firm believer in standard medicine as the main treatment and other treatments as add-ons provided they do not interfere with the main treatment.  So far, I've found a lot of BS in the natural cures department -- just as I have with her other medical issues. However, this article lists a number of alternative treatments that seem to actually help with specific issues:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/natural-remedies-worth-try-multiple-sclerosis/

This is a very general overview article so you'd probably want to do further research on any that interest you and discuss any that hold up to further research and still interest you with your doctors.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Gabriel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:09 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;178163
LyricFox has just been diagnosed with MS (adding to the long list of her medical issues) so I've been doing a bit of reading. I'm a firm believer in standard medicine as the main treatment and other treatments as add-ons provided they do not interfere with the main treatment.  So far, I've found a lot of BS in the natural cures department -- just as I have with her other medical issues. However, this article lists a number of alternative treatments that seem to actually help with specific issues:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/natural-remedies-worth-try-multiple-sclerosis/

This is a very general overview article so you'd probably want to do further research on any that interest you and discuss any that hold up to further research and still interest you with your doctors.

Thanks Randall.

It's interesting, over the years many of these supplementary approaches have made their way into my everyday life. My doctors have urged high daily doses of vitamin D and techniques for body temperature regulation and these have helped my symptom management greatly. I've also found some benefit to daily meditation and yoga but I've yet to fall into a comfortable groove with these. Still very beneficial for body and spirit.

Overall, I'm very clean living (no smoke, drink or non-prescription drugs) and enjoy a vegetarian diet and regular exercise. But I'm always open to anything additional I can do to ease my disease progression.

MS can be difficult. If LyricFox ever wants to share her personal challenges with the disease, I'm happy to offer any support I can.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:44:01 pm »
Quote from: Gabriel;178162

My journey with the disease began with occasional relapses and remissions but remained largely manageable. In recent years, the disease has started to become more progressive and will only get worse with age. Overall, it's still manageable but chronic, lingering physical effects are becoming more persistent.

My doctors are supportive of holistic healing approaches as long as they don't interfere with my primary treatment. However, I am an absolute beginner to holistic arts. Friends and family have offered suggestions but they seem to vary wildly.

Has anyone here had firsthand experience with holistic healing for MS? Or possibly some resources to begin exploring a supplementary treatment path?

Wow, this post couldn't be more timely. I've also been recently diagnosed with MS, and I will be starting treatment soon. I looked at the article Randall linked to, and it had the info I've heard of before (Vitamin D, meditation, etc.). However, I was glad to see this posted.

Gabriel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:20:56 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;178175
Wow, this post couldn't be more timely. I've also been recently diagnosed with MS, and I will be starting treatment soon. I looked at the article Randall linked to, and it had the info I've heard of before (Vitamin D, meditation, etc.). However, I was glad to see this posted.

Wow is right. That is some kind of kismet! We may have the beginnings of our own little support group here :)

The first year was the hardest for me. Dealing with the sudden life changes (appointments, lab work, nurses, MRI's, drugs, needles, insurance companies, etc) on top of the emotional toll of coming to terms with an incurable brain disease. I nearly collapsed from the weight of it all. I pray your path through these particular woods are far more peaceful than mine.

Meditation, yoga and guided imagery techniques helped me calm my anxiety and focus on my positive life-force, not my disease. Give it a try if you find it all too much to handle in these early months. And please don't hesitate to reach out directly for support. I only know from my journey but I'm happy to share what knowledge I can.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;178175

Quote from: Gabriel;178190
Wow is right. That is some kind of kismet! We may have the beginnings of our own little support group here :)

Amber Seal, you've been around TC for a while so you probably know about this; Gabriel, since you're new, you might not have found it yet: we have a Special Interest Group, the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG, that will likely be of interest to you. (You'll find a little bit of Chavi's story in the 'about the SIG' sticky post.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Gabriel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:15:07 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178197
Amber Seal, you've been around TC for a while so you probably know about this; Gabriel, since you're new, you might not have found it yet: we have a Special Interest Group, the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG, that will likely be of interest to you. (You'll find a little bit of Chavi's story in the 'about the SIG' sticky post.)

Sunflower

Thanks so much Sunflower! This was just the type of subform I was searching for :)

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:03 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178197

Sunflower

Thanks, Sunflower! This could be the outlet I've been looking for. :)

Tags: