collapse

Author Topic: Feeling Pulled Back Towards Hellenic Paganism  (Read 3553 times)

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Feeling Pulled Back Towards Hellenic Paganism
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:00 am »
While I have maintained devotion to a few Greek deities, it has been a long time since I gave up on full Hellenic Reconstructionism. There were a lot of reasons aside from being attracted to other cultures and religious traditions, such as frustration with a narrow-minded and misinformed community, and personal problems in my own life that coincided with my Hellenic practice that led my superstitious brain to believe that the Greek gods weren't that into me, or at least, the Divine in Hellenic form wasn't a good fit for me.

However, I've been reminded of my old practice lately and it has triggered positive feelings. I miss identifying with ancient Greek culture, and I find the practice to have much more substance than neo-pagan religions. I like a lot of the ideas of the pagan witchcraft religions, such as a return to a more "primitive" form of religion that reflects the natural world rather than human civilization, but I have never found the typical neo-pagan liturgies very thrilling. Actual devotion to gods feels more substantial than standing in circles listening to declamations that narrate the theme of the occasion. I've only been to public pagan rituals and practiced solitary ones, so my perception may be biased, though.

I think I would like to get back into a more Hellenic practice, maybe reconstituting my little shrine to Hestia's flame and loosely following the rhythm of the Attic festival calendar to determine when I make offerings to which deities. I have started training with a Gardnerian priestess, which is suspended while she is on vacation this summer, but I guess I can continue with that. Part of my problem was that the Hellenic online community I was involved with several years ago basically thought magic and neo-paganism were the devil and absolutely forbidden from what Hellenic recons can practice. I have come to learn that Hellenic culture was more diverse than that, and that it's not unusual for people to follow various traditions, but some of that conditioning is still there and makes things difficult.

Anyway, I just thought I would share, and see if people have similar experiences or anything to contribute.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling Pulled Back Towards Hellenic Paganism
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:32:41 am »
Quote from: Demophon;178114
I have come to learn that Hellenic culture was more diverse than that, and that it's not unusual for people to follow various traditions, but some of that conditioning is still there and makes things difficult.

The egyptian goddess Isis and the Thracian goddess Bendis were introduced into Greece already in the Classical age, and somewhat later the Anatolian moon god Men became popular, so Greek religion was not static, even before the Imperial Age. In the Orphic hymns we see the incorporation of Hellenized Anatolian deities into the Greek pantheon, and, at the time of Proclus, and by the means of Intrepretatio Graece, deities of the entire Roman empire were incorporated into a grand theogonical scheme of Hellenismos (in the sense emperor Julianus used the word Hellenismos).

It all depends on which point in time and which geographical area you choose to base your reconstruction on. It seems like some reconstructionists want to preserve Hellenismos in the state it found itself somewhere between the Bronze Age collapse and the Ionian philosophers. It is good for them, but it is not the only possible way of reconnecting to Classical religion.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;178115
It is good for them, but it is not the only possible way of reconnecting to Classical religion.

For an alternative way of doing it - intentionally connecting to the time of the Ptolemaeans and Seleukids, and to the Imperial Age - take a look at Neos Alexandria:
http://neosalexandria.org

And I would very much be surprised if Neos Alexandria is the only example out there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:25:19 am by RecycledBenedict »

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »
I have come to learn that Hellenic culture was more diverse than that, and that it's not unusual for people to follow various traditions, but some of that conditioning is still there and makes things difficult.
I've also drifted out of strict Hellenic reconstructionism. Hell, I'd argue that I never was fully in "just" Hellenismos, and certainly not the Classical Greek focus that most Hellenists have. I've, nearly from the beginning, had a secondary practice of venerating my Celtic ancestors and their gods. And my Greek practices led me to venerating Roman gods as well, with Roman traditions and customs.
I'd hesitate to describe myself as a Roman reconstructionist, though, because my main practice and household cult is centred on Greek gods and goddesses. My monthly libations are dedicated to Greek gods. Some festivals I celebrate are Hellenic, though I mostly avoid the Attic calendar because I feel it doesn't connect with me. But a significant enough part of me is geared towards a Roman syncretic practice.

Hence why I describe my religion as Hellenistic: it encapsulates both the Greek and Roman cultural spheres, and to an extent the cultures they influenced in Western Europe through Romanization. I employ reconstructionist methodology in my practices, but my religion is syncretic.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:28:15 pm by Louisvillian »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:14 pm »

An example I forgot in my last message is Brexiza, close to the not unfamiliar place Marathon in Greece. A series of excavations document a sanctuary to the Egyptian deities there.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:17 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;178115
The egyptian goddess Isis and the Thracian goddess Bendis were introduced into Greece already in the Classical age, and somewhat later the Anatolian moon god Men became popular, so Greek religion was not static, even before the Imperial Age. In the Orphic hymns we see the incorporation of Hellenized Anatolian deities into the Greek pantheon, and, at the time of Proclus, and by the means of Intrepretatio Graece, deities of the entire Roman empire were incorporated into a grand theogonical scheme of Hellenismos (in the sense emperor Julianus used the word Hellenismos).

It all depends on which point in time and which geographical area you choose to base your reconstruction on. It seems like some reconstructionists want to preserve Hellenismos in the state it found itself somewhere between the Bronze Age collapse and the Ionian philosophers. It is good for them, but it is not the only possible way of reconnecting to Classical religion.

Quote from: FraterBenedict;178116
For an alternative way of doing it - intentionally connecting to the time of the Ptolemaeans and Seleukids, and to the Imperial Age - take a look at Neos Alexandria:
http://neosalexandria.org

And I would very much be surprised if Neos Alexandria is the only example out there.

Quote from: FraterBenedict;178191
An example I forgot in my last message is Brexiza, close to the not unfamiliar place Marathon in Greece. A series of excavations document a sanctuary to the Egyptian deities there.

I have a soft spot for Isis, I was intensely devoted to her for many years.

Neos Alexandria is interesting. I used to be on their listerv, but I found there to be a major decline in quality after Sannion left. He was the brains, and now it's just as kooky and woo-woo as any most other pagan groups.

I don't really have a specific time period I want to draw from. The Classical Era is the most familiar, but I like the diversity of the Hellenistic Period, and I am also very drawn to the really earlier periods. While not Hellenic, Minoan and Mycenean civilizations are really appealing to me, though not much is known about them. I just want to take the relevant traditions and adapt them to modern life, not necessarily reconstruct the practices of the Classical Period exactly.

Quote from: Louisvillian;178181
I've also drifted out of strict Hellenic reconstructionism. Hell, I'd argue that I never was fully in "just" Hellenismos, and certainly not the Classical Greek focus that most Hellenists have. I've, nearly from the beginning, had a secondary practice of venerating my Celtic ancestors and their gods. And my Greek practices led me to venerating Roman gods as well, with Roman traditions and customs.
I'd hesitate to describe myself as a Roman reconstructionist, though, because my main practice and household cult is centred on Greek gods and goddesses. My monthly libations are dedicated to Greek gods. Some festivals I celebrate are Hellenic, though I mostly avoid the Attic calendar because I feel it doesn't connect with me. But a significant enough part of me is geared towards a Roman syncretic practice.

Hence why I describe my religion as Hellenistic: it encapsulates both the Greek and Roman cultural spheres, and to an extent the cultures they influenced in Western Europe through Romanization. I employ reconstructionist methodology in my practices, but my religion is syncretic.

Hmm interesting, thanks for sharing. My syncretism seems to come and go, really. I used to honour many Egyptian deities, but that has faded away recently. I do follow the witches' goddess and god as I understand them,and while they may be specific deities in the context of that tradition, they are highly universalist and syncretic with other gods and traditions. In practice I tend to keep the different traditions I follow separate, even though they may be united by certain associations in my mind.

My interest in Greek deities and an ancient Hellenic cultural mindset has remained the most constant element of my religious life while other things tend to come and go, so that's why I identify with the Greeks, specifically.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 07:11:45 am »
Quote from: Demophon;178204
Neos Alexandria is interesting. I used to be on their listerv, but I found there to be a major decline in quality after Sannion left. He was the brains, and now it's just as kooky and woo-woo as any most other pagan groups.

Is Sannion a nom-de-plume of Dr. Butler? His studies on Proclus are fascinating, although I, after reading Radek Chlup's book about the thought of Proclus, doubt the reductionist interpretation that To Hen is just the henads. Sad to hear that the quality of the activity and books of NA is lower now.

I think that Hellenistic religion of the Hellenistic and Imperial age is an important segment of the pagan landscape: The mystery religions (with the exception of Eleusis, Andania and Samothrace that are older) belong there, and so does theurgy, the PMG, Aion, Serapis, Jupiter Dolichenus, Jupiter Heliopolitanus, Venus Heliopolitanus, Artemis Sidonia, Simios, Sol Invictus, the integration of Hipta and Areimanios, the growing importance of Physis and Sabazius, and Cicero's overview in De Natura Deorum (although his tendency in giving the overview is skeptic).

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:14:02 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;178213
Is Sannion a nom-de-plume of Dr. Butler? His studies on Proclus are fascinating, although I, after reading Radek Chlup's book about the thought of Proclus, doubt the reductionist interpretation that To Hen is just the henads. Sad to hear that the quality of the activity and books of NA is lower now.

Nah, Sannion (H. Jeremiah Lewis) is his own person. He was also a guest on Sannion and Galina's podcast back when it was running.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 03:38:42 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;178292
Nah, Sannion (H. Jeremiah Lewis) is his own person. He was also a guest on Sannion and Galina's podcast back when it was running.

Thank you! All these nom-de-plumes can be confusing sometimes.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;178213
I think that Hellenistic religion of the Hellenistic and Imperial age is an important segment of the pagan landscape: The mystery religions (with the exception of Eleusis, Andania and Samothrace that are older) belong there, and so does theurgy, the PMG, Aion, Serapis, Jupiter Dolichenus, Jupiter Heliopolitanus, Venus Heliopolitanus, Artemis Sidonia, Simios, Sol Invictus, the integration of Hipta and Areimanios, the growing importance of Physis and Sabazius, and Cicero's overview in De Natura Deorum (although his tendency in giving the overview is skeptic).

I've come to understand Hellenic culture and "religion" (whatever that means) as my main foundation, while I think of Catholicism and pagan witchcraft as having the function of mystery cults in the ancient world rather than all-encompassing exclusive religions.

Quote from: Nyktipolos;178292

I've heard that podcast recently, I didn't know it was Sannion's. I think it's still running, maybe Sannion is no longer involved with it?

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 03:55:00 am »
Quote from: Demophon;178321
I've heard that podcast recently, I didn't know it was Sannion's. I think it's still running, maybe Sannion is no longer involved with it?

Is it still running? I've tuned in a couple of times but never actively kept up with it. I had assumed it had stopped running since I thought him and Galina ended it (it was originally run by her, afaik) but I could totally be wrong. Sannion has stopped regularly blogging and I never really followed her blog, so I never kept up with these things.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:16 am »
Quote from: Demophon;178321
I've come to understand Hellenic culture and "religion" (whatever that means) as my main foundation, while I think of...pagan witchcraft as having the function of mystery cults in the ancient world rather than all-encompassing exclusive religions.
Broadly, I agree. Roman-Hellenistic syncretic religion provides for me a framework by which I have an overall regular, daily religion and gods to whom I am devoted and with whom I work. But the highly personal experience of the divine that a mystery religion provides is something I also appreciate and desire in my religious life, and I felt "hollow" when I abandoned modern witchcraft mystery cult entirely; I've recently reintegrated it back into my life, as a synthesis of my previously-disparate mysticism focus on Hekate, Demeter, Dionysos, Hermes, and Cernunnos. But it still is not, and isn't intended to be, a replacement for my other religious practices.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:21:37 am by Louisvillian »

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:35:12 pm »
Quote from: Louisvillian;178518
Broadly, I agree. Roman-Hellenistic syncretic religion provides for me a framework by which I have an overall regular, daily religion and gods to whom I am devoted and with whom I work. But the highly personal experience of the divine that a mystery religion provides is something I also appreciate and desire in my religious life, and I felt "hollow" when I abandoned modern witchcraft mystery cult entirely; I've recently reintegrated it back into my life, as a synthesis of my previously-disparate mysticism focus on Hekate, Demeter, Dionysos, Hermes, and Cernunnos. But it still is not, and isn't intended to be, a replacement for my other religious practices.

Very interesting, and good to know other people have had experiences similar to mine.

That's interesting you mention Demeter and Dionysos, as those two deities are important in my practice, and I think there is some overlap with them and the gods of modern pagan witchcraft. Really, the Mediterranean mystery cults that modern witchcraft takes inspiration from all have a very similar theme of overcoming death, and connecting the natural cycles with this concept of death and revival/eternal life. That's kind of the appeal that the more ceremonial branches of Christianity for me, as a survival of these mystery cults, but that parallel has been drawn by pagans a million times.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;178565
Really, the Mediterranean mystery cults that modern witchcraft takes inspiration from all have a very similar theme of overcoming death, and connecting the natural cycles with this concept of death and revival/eternal life.

Modern pagan witchcraft, especially in its initiatory mystery forms, is based strongly on the writings of J.G. Frazer. His ideas on the pagan roots of Western civilization, a theme that rather predominated in the early 20th century, were  on Mediterranean religions and cultures.
So it's not entirely surprising that modern witchcraft took a lot of cues from Eleusis and other mystery cults of the ancient world. The study and fascination in them lay at its roots. And, like many others, I came to Greek religion through the Hellenistic elements present in modern witchcraft.

dionysos

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;178204
I have a soft spot for Isis, I was intensely devoted to her for many years.

I don't really have a specific time period I want to draw from. The Classical Era is the most familiar, but I like the diversity of the Hellenistic Period, and I am also very drawn to the really earlier periods. While not Hellenic, Minoan and Mycenean civilizations are really appealing to me, though not much is known about them. I just want to take the relevant traditions and adapt them to modern life, not necessarily reconstruct the practices of the Classical Period exactly.

Hmm interesting, thanks for sharing. My syncretism seems to come and go, really. I used to honour many Egyptian deities, but that has faded away recently. I do follow the witches' goddess and god as I understand them,and while they may be specific deities in the context of that tradition, they are highly universalist and syncretic with other gods and traditions. In practice I tend to keep the different traditions I follow separate, even though they may be united by certain associations in my mind.

My interest in Greek deities and an ancient Hellenic cultural mindset has remained the most constant element of my religious life while other things tend to come and go, so that's why I identify with the Greeks, specifically.

This is for me what makes pagan religions natural religions, they are alive and fluid not static with unchanging dogmas. I want to take the elements of Dionysian mysteries that speak to me and bring them into the modern world.

Tags: