collapse

Author Topic: Re-occurring Uncertainty  (Read 1053 times)

Stormy

• View Profile
Re-occurring Uncertainty
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:41:48 am »
I've been having so much trouble trying to figure out my path. At first I thought secular witchcraft would fit me best but I'm discovering how lonely I feel during circle casting or doing any type of spell. I have not connected with any specific god or goddess.
I do view nature as the presence of a great mother, or Mother Nature however I'm not sure how a masculine entity could fit in. I have a small wooden figure representing Mother Earth but I do not know what to add for a masculine polarity (difficult enough to find any figure relating to father sky).
Having a set deity, or even addressing any god or goddess, somehow does not fit with me as much as a representation of Mother Earth and Father Sky does.
(Where does that leave the moon??) maybe I'm over thinking this but how could I address the moon? As a separate being? Since the sun would remind me of a father so that isn't an issue? Sister moon? I'm just feeling overwhelmed at this point, forgive me. (2:38am)
Does this relate to anyone else? Help?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Re-occurring Uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:23 am »
Quote from: Stormy;178111
I've been having so much trouble trying to figure out my path. At first I thought secular witchcraft would fit me best but I'm discovering how lonely I feel during circle casting or doing any type of spell. I have not connected with any specific god or goddess.

As secular witchcraft does not need deities, this may mean secular witchcraft isn't a good fit for you. On the other hand secular witchcraft will work if you do address a deity or deities. Just like you don't need top pray for a science experiment to work, but praying will not interfere with it working either.

Having a set deity, or even addressing any god or goddess, somehow does not fit with me as much as a representation of Mother Earth and Father Sky does.

Then find something you feel represents Father Sky (a picture of the sky, perhaps) and use those. Nothing says you have to name them or include every other possible deity (the moon, war, wisdom, knowledge, heath, the home, etc. etc.) in your work.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:37 am »
I do view nature as the presence of a great mother, or Mother Nature however I'm not sure how a masculine entity could fit in. I have a small wooden figure representing Mother Earth but I do not know what to add for a masculine polarity (difficult enough to find any figure relating to father sky).
(Where does that leave the moon??) maybe I'm over thinking this but how could I address the moon? As a separate being? Since the sun would remind me of a father so that isn't an issue? Sister moon? I'm just feeling overwhelmed at this point, forgive me. (2:38am)
You could always try putting out a "general call" to Whomever might be inclined to work with you. Also, there might already be Someone who is waiting for you to be ready to meet Them. You won't know until you ask. :)

Stormwise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:32:12 am »
I've been having so much trouble trying to figure out my path.

I had this problem once before, myself. Eventually, I realized that trying so hard to figure it all out was part of the problem; and I found that simply putting one foot in front of the other allowed me to move forward along my path, and figuring it out as I went along became much easier. Maybe this would help you?

Guided by Stars

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »

My recommendation is patience, which is generally not what someone wants to hear when they're just getting started on their path. When I first started out, I wanted my beliefs and practice right now and, because of that mindset, I became impatient and frustrated when it didn't all fall into place overnight. What I came to find out (speaking only for me here, everyone's experiences are different) is that my impatience equated to building a wall around myself (metaphorically speaking). In other words, I was looking so hard for the signs and signals that I wanted to see that I missed the ones that were right in front of me all along. Once I took the time to step back and not push so hard things started to fall into place. On a side note, paganism for me has been very "fluid"...the things I believed when I was just starting out are nowhere near like my beliefs now. And that's ok. Because, over time, it has all served to shape my current practice. It doesn't mean that the earlier beliefs were "wrong", they were simply stepping stones on my path to get me where I am now...which may very well change again in the future. Your practice will probably evolve over time as well. If so, my recommendation would be to embrace the changes and learn from them. Don't think that everything has to be set in stone right from the very beginning. Find what resonates with you (even if it's just a few simple things here and there) and build from that. In time, you will find yourself exactly where you're meant to be.

Hope this has helped even a little bit...good luck to you. :)
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!?"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:27:19 pm »

Witchcraft is many different things, as is Paganism. Unless you're following a specific lineage or tradition that requires you to do certain things, you can do anything that works for you. The representations of nature/deities/archetypes that work for *you* are likely to be the most comfortable way forward, if you're not looking for a relationship with specific deities or to develop a specific kind of practice. Plus, I rather like your earth mother/sky father approach there. Very Proto-Indo-European.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:12:44 pm »

Your path might not be something with an existing label, or characteristics yet such as orthodoxy versus orthopraxis. Or it might. I recommend letting your feet lead you.

(Where does that leave the moon??) maybe I'm over thinking this but how could I address the moon? As a separate being? Since the sun would remind me of a father so that isn't an issue? Sister moon?

How did you come to embrace and address the representations of Mother Earth and Father Sky? Maybe do that with everything, and the moon or whatever your meditative/inuitive focus is will either serve as an issue (as tricksters come in many forms) or reveal a resolution to that issue, or something else entirely.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

TinyToad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »

(Where does that leave the moon??) maybe I'm over thinking this but how could I address the moon? As a separate being? Since the sun would remind me of a father so that isn't an issue? Sister moon? I'm just feeling overwhelmed at this point, forgive me.

Just my personal thoughts to toss into the mix for consideration:

I tend to only take note of masculine vs feminine in regards to fertility themes, in a rather straightforward way. Perhaps similar to you, with dirt often being like a womb for seeds, and so on. However, in my perception, not everything has a gender or some humanoid/animal attributes, and not all human cultural gender themes fit with nature just so.

Some might say that aggression is masculine, but then I'm not sure those people have ever stumbled across a mother grizzly bear in the middle of the woods. Likewise, some people might say that beauty is a feminine thing, but more often than not, male animals tend to be more colorful and flashy than their female counterparts, using aesthetics to some degree to try to attract females, not the other way around.

So for me personally, I think it's important to peel away purely human cultural concepts. To me, all that is leftover after that, is again just very straightforward fertility concepts.

Which means that for me, the moon doesn't have a gender. The moon is still amazing, important, magical and so on, but it is amazing enough on its own without animal attributes like a sex/gender. It is simply the moon, with its own special qualities and effects on the world.

This doesn't mean that I think people who assign the moon a gender, such as female, are wrong. But I think that different people, based on many things, can perceive motherly and fatherly figures differently, and that that's okay. And also that not everything has to fall into the role of female/mother or male/father, that it's okay if some things don't feel like either to us. They can be special all the same without an assigned gender.

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 233
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal