Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Talking to deity  (Read 2696 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Talking to deity
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »
I always hear people saying things like "my deity told me this" and I am trying to figure out how? How do you know they are talking to you? is it a thought, or is it seen through pictures or signs everyday. Or both?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Talking to deity
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:49:30 am »
Quote from: addy;17910
I always hear people saying things like "my deity told me this" and I am trying to figure out how? How do you know they are talking to you? is it a thought, or is it seen through pictures or signs everyday. Or both?

It depends.

I know, useful answer, huh?  But it's true - everyone has a different way of communication, and assuming one will happen just keeps you from seeing the others.  It might be cosmic signs.  It might be a voice whispering in your head.  It might just be a sense of knowing.

*shrugs* that's why it's called faith, I guess.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;17958
It depends.

Like Shadow said, it depends.

I believe Brighid has communicated things to me in a variety of ways.  I have actually heard Her voice a few times (inside my head -- nobody else was with me, so I can't say if anyone else would have heard it).  Two of those times happened when I was in a very turbulent emotional state, which I think sort of opened me up to be able to hear Her.  Another time happened during a very dangerous moment, as I was falling down a flight of stairs.

She has spoken to me once through a "seer", during an oracular ritual.  That was incredibly powerful.

I have met Her a few times during meditations.  I use a method of meditation called "Active Imagination" (pioneered by Carl Jung).  Brighid has played a role in that several times and spoken to me that way.

She has appeared in my dreams several times -- and they're the kind of dreams that feel *different* and very important.  Very unusual for me and different from my normal dreams, which I forget immediately.

She has sent signs to me.  I occasionally use a kind of divination or communication that involves requesting an answer in the form of a sign, and specifies the sign that will indicate a positive answer and the sign that will indicate a negative answer.  F'ex, I once asked for a sign in the form of a green star.  I was standing on an outdoor subway platform at the time.  When the train came, I got on and was just sort of riding and listening to my ipod and staring out the window.  A few stops later, as we approached a station, I happened to see some graffiti -- including a spray-painted green star.

She also has a way of "poking" me to get me to pay attention to something.  It's a particular feeling I get, kind of like when you're walking along with a friend, and s/he says, "Hey, look at that!"  And then you see something you wouldn't necessarily have noticed before -- and you also intuitively understand why your friend would be interested in whatever it is.  It's really hard to explain.  

There are also times when I just *know* something, but it's not something that I would have known or thought of myself.  Sometimes I simply know that something is important for me to pay attention to, and I eventually figure out how it connects to Brighid and/or to my work for Her.

I don't know if any of this is any more helpful than "it depends."  But maybe it will give you a sense of the broad range of ways deities communicate with us.  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:38:12 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;18049
Like Shadow said, it depends.

She has sent signs to me.  I occasionally use a kind of divination or communication that involves requesting an answer in the form of a sign, and specifies the sign that will indicate a positive answer and the sign that will indicate a negative answer.  F'ex, I once asked for a sign in the form of a green star.  I was standing on an outdoor subway platform at the time.  When the train came, I got on and was just sort of riding and listening to my ipod and staring out the window.  A few stops later, as we approached a station, I happened to see some graffiti -- including a spray-painted green star.

~ Aster

Thank you :) I have had something simular to this. I worship Mother Goddess and father god. Like when I say that I just mean all the gods and goddesses Im aligned with. anywho I am communicating with the goddess bast, and everywhere I go I see cats, and even in a conversation my grandmother brought up a cat. A random commercial about saving cats comes into play as well. So thank you :) I was just making sure those could be possible signs. Blessed be :)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:10:45 am »
Quote from: addy;18053
I was just making sure those could be possible signs.

To be honest, I don't think it's possible to really be sure about signs.

Also, personally, I think it's important to be pretty structured with regard to signs.  That is, I don't generally give much credence to random events like commercials and conversations like you described *unless that's what you designated as a sign*.

On the (fairly rare) occasions when I ask for a sign from Brighid, I am always VERY specific.  I'll think of a couple of things I do not see in my normal activities and designate those as my signs.  So, in the example I gave in my previous post, I asked Brighid to answer my question, and to send me a green star if the answer was "yes" or a horseshoe crab if the answer was "no".  I couldn't think of any place I would be that day where I would normally see either of those things.

It's critical to choose things you do NOT usually see in your normal day, or whatever you'll be doing.  You would not want to designate a cat as "yes" and a dog as "no", or something like that.

It's also important to set a time limit.  I usually use a period of a few hours or so, depending on what I'm going to be doing.  (If I'm just going to go home and go to bed, I'll need a longer time period or I'll just wait until morning to ask my question.)  If I don't see either of my signs in my time limit, I usually take that to mean that either Brighid doesn't know the answer or She doesn't want to tell me.  

Like I said above, I don't use this form of communication very often.  I don't want to be a pain and pester Brighid for answers all the time.  Plus, I want to have a method of communication that I can turn to for super-important questions.  I'm also very aware that there is no way to prove any of this -- I have to take it on faith or not accept it at all.  ;)

I tend to think that random events, like random cat sightings, are simply random events, UNLESS there is more to it.

Does that make sense?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »

Dreams are a fairly common method of communication as well, and is historically well-attested.

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

Anpu speaks to me with sudden and unexpected bursts of emotion, or with pressures to my head. It's very rare, and normally He doesn't speak to me unless I address Him directly.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »

The Morrigan tends to be a voice in my mind that is 1) utterly self-assured, and 2) does not use "if/but/not." Ironically enough, she tends to be more optimistic than I am.

On giving me signs/omens, she uses concepts that I need to think about and apply to my life: For example, she will give me a boatload of references to "spring" rather than just stating, "You're going to start a new phase in life."
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:38 am »

For me the manner of receiving depends upon the reason and urgency of the message being received.  Many times it's via dream time or mini-visions while in an awake state.  Other times it's a audio thing where I will hear certain sounds or combination of sounds that make me think of a certain god / goddess.

For instance there are times where I feel Hekate / Hecate about me then i'll start seeing black dogs everywhere and hearing hounds baying up the valley.  Black birds or ravens will many times suddenly appear overhead.  Doesn't matter the time or weather conditions as it has occured in the middle of the day or during the night hours, even during severe storms when I see additional things in the shifting fogs.

Other times its more direct and in your face.  There was one example where we were driving home across the mountain and all of a sudden I had a deep sense of Artemis all about me.  Along with a sense of danger or forbodding and I started to see flashing red lights that were not there.   My wife who was driving noticed I got really distracted and tense and all I could tell her was to slow down really quick and that something was wrong on the mountain that day.  Which turnd out to be a sudden lightning storm that struck the windward side of the mountain and you couldn't see the end of the hood of the truck much less anything else.  Lightning strikes all about us and winds that bucketed the truck all over the road.  Made you think you were in a war movie or actual war zone from the flashes and bangs.

Some times its almost surreal in the way it works.  I was speaking to my youngest son as we were driving home one day about Artemis and how she has been there forever.  It was mid day and not a cloud in the sky which is an important fact.  As we rounded a mountain my son noticed a cloud that had suddenly come over the mountain top and resembled a woman in a long chiton with what looked like the tips of a bow and arrows protruding from her shoulder.   For nearly an hour that cloud stayed with us as we crossed through various valleys and over various mountains, constantly staying in the same position relative to our ability to see it regardless of how we actually changed directions.  He finally said Artemis was with us and had followed and he understood what she ment to me, at that statement the cloud litterly broke apart and vanished within a few minutes to leave a cloudless sky.

Granted those are the exception and not the general rule of things.  Most times its a feeling that overcomes me and I can not think of anything but a certain god / goddess for the duration.  I get a sense of words or images more than say actually hearing them out loud.  Sometimes it will be something I see and then I am just filled with images upon the third eye that play upon the brain like some negative of film in black and white.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:40:09 am by monsnoleedra »

Tags: