collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: We are all one...  (Read 4304 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: We are all one...
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:17 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178071
This would mean, mathematically, that time is endless and infinite and anything with a probability chance that is not zero will occur an infinite number of times.

Only if the infinity of space is of a larger magnitude than the infinitesimal of the event.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 10:33:19 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;178076
Only if the infinity of space is of a larger magnitude than the infinitesimal of the event.

You're not accounting for time. I think you're using the argument against duplicate/infinite earths existing right now.

An infinite amount of recurring earths, in an infinitely eternal universe, doesn't mean that those earths exist, and take up space, simultaneously.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:04 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178082

I'm going to say it was a mistake to focus on the possibility of recurring earths being "exact", because it isn't even central to my point, which does rely on variables and inconsistencies between earths.

If the Big Bounce model is accurate and the universe eternally expands and contracts, then given enough infinite time, the distribution/evolution of matter will happen in such a way that another earth as we know it occurs. However, in each of these recurrences, there can be subtle changes to our history.

If this "reality" included a spiritual component, then I wonder if it means that the work we do in this life is meant to influence the next life. For example, my sister died of meningitis a few weeks before the serogroup B vaccine was approved. My stepmom has since done a lot of work with NMA and CDC to get the vaccine standardized instead of simply permissive.

If we retain some sort of soul memory in each reiteration, then possibly the work being done in this life will be easier to accomplish in the next. Maybe what we call sudden inspiration, or signs, or the ideas from nowhere are part of this spiritual memory. In the next life, maybe this spiritual memory will help the vaccine be approved and standardized in a shorter time frame, allowing my sister and countless others to receive that vaccine and live out a longer life.

If the purpose of all these reiterations is to get the world exactly right for everyone and everything, then I find that personally incomprehensible in scope (though the rebirth of a better world is common to a few mythologies). But I don't think it's impossible. And I think it's as good an answer as any of why we would leave and return to the Source.

(And this idea doesn't rely on the Big Bounce being an accurate model. If we're discussing the universe as a self-aware spiritual Source, I think it would be able to do whatever it wants without it having to be reconciled with science.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:30:30 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Waldron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:52 am »
Quote from: Altair;177897
As the other responses have pointed out to various degrees and in various ways, your error is in overgeneralizing about all religions.

You guys are right, it was a mistake to generalize that way, but searching about the meaning of life on religions, the explanations I found were all centered around this line of thought. It is one of the best explanations to where are our souls from.

Quote from: Altair;177897
The idea of returning to the source is a common theme among many religions, however.

Famed astronomer Carl Sagan put one possible answer in secular terms: “We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.” In other words, we had to differentiate from the source (whatever you deem that to be) so that, through our experiences, the source can figure itself out. Our existence is an act of looking in the mirror and pondering the reflection.

That's the way I like to think of it, anyway.

Another way to think of it, if you're familiar with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine--The changelings (the Founders of the Dominion), liquid beings, existed as one pool (the Great Link)...but they sent bits of themselves out as individuals to learn about the universe around them, so that they could eventually rejoin the one pool, their knowledge becoming a part of the Great Link as a whole.

And if you've never seen Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, that probably explains nothing!

That is one possible explanation.
Never seen Deep Space Nine, but I see the point.

Stormwise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »
Quote from: Waldron;177883
...but something doesn't make sense.
Searching, one finds that all religions exist for the same purpose, to guide us back to our source. We are here to evolve and go back to Him/It/Her, but we were sent here just to get back?
One thing that summarizes well this line of thought is the documentary “One”, I thought it was very good, but left me this question. It doesn’t make much sense to think that the purpose of our lives is to learn to go back to what we originally belong since we were sent here out of the Source’s own will.

Any thoughts?

We are parts, contemplating the whole.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177935
Because of Quantum Loop Gravity....

Warning: Quantum Loop Gravity is one (of many) hypotheses explaining how gravity works with quantum mechanics. It is as yet unknown whether this hypothesis is a correct explanation of reality.

Also, since space is infinite, and the probability of our exact world existing again is greater than zero, then our world will exist an infinite number of times.

If space is truly infinite and all of it is full of matter as the observable universe is, then there are likely many exact duplicates of our observable universe in the entire universe containing the observable universe, however, while the entire universe has to be bigger than the observable universe for the Standard Model to work, the entire universe need not be truly infinite.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: