Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Mythcon 46  (Read 4443 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Mythcon 46
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:22 am »
Not pagan, but probably of interest to many here:

This annual gathering of the Mythopoeic Society focuses on the creation of mythic stories, with a special emphasis on Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and their contemporaries (often referred to collectively as The Inklings).

I'll be there again this year, when the theme is the Arthurian mythos. (Themes are non-exclusive, so there will be plenty of other non-Arthurian presentations as well.)

Mythcon 46

Hotel Elegante

Colorado Springs, Colorado

July 31 – August 3, 2015

http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/mythcon-46/

If you want to get a feel for what Mythcon is like, scroll down through my Blog of Mythic Proportions for posts from the two previous Mythcons. I'll be blogging from this year's as well.

And if you're going to be there, let me know, so we can meet up!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Mythcon 46
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177877

This annual gathering of the Mythopoeic Society focuses on the creation of mythic stories, with a special emphasis on Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and their contemporaries (often referred to collectively as The Inklings).

I'll be there again this year, when the theme is the Arthurian mythos. (Themes are non-exclusive, so there will be plenty of other non-Arthurian presentations as well.)

I'm always jealous of your going, but this year I am especially so. So. Many. Great. Presentations. :(
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:08 pm »
Quote from: Finn;177918
I'm always jealous of your going, but this year I am especially so. So. Many. Great. Presentations. :(

I saw the listing for Saturday's presentation on "Black in Camelot: Racial Diversity in Historical England & Arthurian Legend" and started salivating...

You'll have to make it one of these days, Finn! Maybe the next time it's on the West Coast?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:48:43 am »

Oh, Altair (or anyone else), if you're interested in theology and the Inklings, Experimental Theology is currently doing a sequence of posts on it.  (It's an interesting Christian blog.)

http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com has three up as of this writing.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;177931
Oh, Altair (or anyone else), if you're interested in theology and the Inklings, Experimental Theology is currently doing a sequence of posts on it.  (It's an interesting Christian blog.)

Ooh, thanks for this.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177920
I saw the listing for Saturday's presentation on "Black in Camelot: Racial Diversity in Historical England & Arthurian Legend" and started salivating...

You'll have to make it one of these days, Finn! Maybe the next time it's on the West Coast?

The Women of Tolkien presentation is really what kills me, but I'd have to clone myself in order to attend everything that sounds interesting!

One of these days. And one of these days I'll actually become a member instead of just pressing my nose up against the window...

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:39:40 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;177931

Yes, as Finn said--Thanks, DH!

That very Christian bent of the Inklings (particularly Lewis, it seems to me) is reflected somewhat in the makeup of Mythcon attendees; I'd say up to half come from a distinctly Christian perspective. The other half are assorted oddballs like us (or maybe I should just speak for myself!)

It's never been a source of conflict that I've witnessed, except for this once.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »
Quote from: Finn;177933
The Women of Tolkien presentation is really what kills me

I've been debating whether to go to that one (an hour long, and in the same room as the "Black in Camelot" presentation after it and another presentation I want to see before it...which would mean 4 or 5 hours in the same room)...

...or the half-hour Galadriel talk (she's my favorite).

You may have swung the tide. If I go to the Women of Tolkien talk, I'll make a full report on my blog.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:56 pm »
Mythcon 46

I just got back from this annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society, whose membership has a strong Christian component (naturally, since they focus on Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, etc., who were all devout Christians and injected that into their writing, to greater or lesser extents). I'd say the members are about 50-50 Christian/non-Christian, which isn't usually an issue.

So I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, but something interesting happened: Sarah Avery won the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature for her book Tales from Rugosa Coven. Sarah Avery is openly Wiccan, and as the title of her book suggests, she not only incorporates that into her fiction, but in this case made it central. And yet the Society had no problem handing her the victory, based on the quality of her work.

There's hope for humanity yet.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:34:55 pm by Altair »

Tags: