collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Eshu and Baron Samedi  (Read 5528 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Eshu and Baron Samedi
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »
I'm embarking on a bit of research and am at a loss where to begin.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good resources that talk about the connections between Yoruba beliefs and the diaspora religions of the New World?  

While I want to get the overall picture, I'm trying to find linkages between Eshu (Èṣù) and Baron Samedi at the moment.  In Googling and casual conversations, I've heard/read that they are completely unrelated, that they're the same being, and that Baron Samedi represents only one aspect of Èṣù.  Needless to say, I'm mildly confused and completely out of my element here. Help?

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eshu and Baron Samedi
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:59:37 am »
Quote from: Aisling;177859
Can anyone point me in the direction of good resources that talk about the connections between Yoruba beliefs and the diaspora religions of the New World?

Out of all the African diaspora religions, Santeria probably has the strongest Yoruba element. Vodou has some Yoruba material but not as much. The Vodou deity Papa Legba is equivalent to Santeria's Eleggua or the Yoruba Eshu. Baron Samedi is strictly Haitian as far as I am aware, and is distinct from the Papa Legba/Eleggua/Eshu complex of deities.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:48:39 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;177875
Out of all the African diaspora religions, Santeria probably has the strongest Yoruba element. Vodou has some Yoruba material but not as much. The Vodou deity Papa Legba is equivalent to Santeria's Eleggua or the Yoruba Eshu. Baron Samedi is strictly Haitian as far as I am aware, and is distinct from the Papa Legba/Eleggua/Eshu complex of deities.

Thanks Gilbride.  Any sources for this, other than just general knowledge?  I'm looking for some reputable sources that I can actually cite for a project.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:02:47 am »
Quote from: Aisling;177914
Thanks Gilbride.  Any sources for this, other than just general knowledge?  I'm looking for some reputable sources that I can actually cite for a project.

"Santeria" by Gonzalez-Wiggler has a lot about the Santeria-Yoruba connections and how Santeria differs from Vodou. For info on Baron Samedi and the other Guede, see either "Divine Horsemen" by Maya Deren or Lilith Dorsey's book on Voodoo.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;177980
"Santeria" by Gonzalez-Wiggler has a lot about the Santeria-Yoruba connections and how Santeria differs from Vodou. For info on Baron Samedi and the other Guede, see either "Divine Horsemen" by Maya Deren or Lilith Dorsey's book on Voodoo.

TY!  I'll check them out.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags: