collapse

Author Topic: Hiya from the North Cascades  (Read 991 times)

Elessedil

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Hiya from the North Cascades
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:16 pm »
Hi my name is Athena. I discovered this forum from a post in another forum I visit. I’ve been lurking for a few months but now I want to be more active. Here’s a little about me.  

I started questioning why I believed in Christianity. I found that some of those beliefs were just passed down and I had no real basis or even a connection to others who were Christian. I didn’t grow up in any kind of religious household but was always seeking. For some reason it was only in that Christian realm that I looked to. Perhaps that was from my many aunts’ influences and me wanting to please them. Then three years ago I realized these people and that religion was not for me.

Soon after that realization I discovered tarot (I :lub: tarot! ) which opened me up to browse the occult section at Barnes and Noble. =) I found a book called The Way of the Hedge Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock and it felt good and right. I was still freaked out a bit because the only thing I knew about witchcraft was what is portrayed in movies. So, I got two more books, Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby and Popular Magic by Owen Davies and realized its nothing like the movies. Lol. From then on I felt free to go to occult and metaphysical bookshops to look around and explore.  

I haven’t really done much since except collect more books. I now want to explore and actively practice and find a way that has some direction for me. From my understanding Paganism revolves around nature worship with many gods and goddesses. I am drawn to folk magic, witchcraft and Druidry. I also like the Celtic and Norse influences. I am not sure if there is such a mix of practices but when I found this forum I knew it was the next step for me to be more active and find more direction.

I'm sure my story has similar themes of other newbies. I am thankful that I found this place and I'm excited to be here. If anyone has something I might be interested in looking into, please feel free to mention it.

See ya around,
Athena :)

Beibhinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Hiya from the North Cascades
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:07:23 pm »
Quote from: Athena;177823
Hi my name is Athena. I discovered this forum from a post in another forum I visit. I’ve been lurking for a few months but now I want to be more active. Here’s a little about me.  

I started questioning why I believed in Christianity. I found that some of those beliefs were just passed down and I had no real basis or even a connection to others who were Christian. I didn’t grow up in any kind of religious household but was always seeking. For some reason it was only in that Christian realm that I looked to. Perhaps that was from my many aunts’ influences and me wanting to please them. Then three years ago I realized these people and that religion was not for me.

Soon after that realization I discovered tarot (I :lub: tarot! ) which opened me up to browse the occult section at Barnes and Noble. =) I found a book called The Way of the Hedge Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock and it felt good and right. I was still freaked out a bit because the only thing I knew about witchcraft was what is portrayed in movies. So, I got two more books, Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby and Popular Magic by Owen Davies and realized its nothing like the movies. Lol. From then on I felt free to go to occult and metaphysical bookshops to look around and explore.  

I haven’t really done much since except collect more books. I now want to explore and actively practice and find a way that has some direction for me. From my understanding Paganism revolves around nature worship with many gods and goddesses. I am drawn to folk magic, witchcraft and Druidry. I also like the Celtic and Norse influences. I am not sure if there is such a mix of practices but when I found this forum I knew it was the next step for me to be more active and find more direction.

I'm sure my story has similar themes of other newbies. I am thankful that I found this place and I'm excited to be here. If anyone has something I might be interested in looking into, please feel free to mention it.

See ya around,

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Elessedil

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
Quote from: Beibhinn;177842
Welcome to the Cauldron!

Thanks Beibhinn! :)

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:14:38 pm »
Quote from: Athena;177823

See ya around,

Hi and welcome :)

Elessedil

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »
Quote from: Moonstone;177844
Hi and welcome :)

Thank Moonstone!

Elessedil

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »
Quote from: Elessedil;177823
Hi my name is Athena. I discovered this forum from a post in another forum I visit. I’ve been lurking for a few months but now I want to be more active.

I just wanted to say that I changed my username to Elessedil as I thought it would be more fitting for me.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:11:23 am »
Quote from: Elessedil;177848
I just wanted to say that I changed my username to Elessedil as I thought it would be more fitting for me.

Welcome to The Cauldron!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: