Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Appropriation and Questions of Faith  (Read 5086 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Appropriation and Questions of Faith
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:33:01 pm »
I've been doing some reading on cultural appropriation and several questions came to my mind.

What do you do when something else from another tradition makes more sense to you though you may not match up with them as well or you may have a different slant on that concept?

What do you do to honor the influences from another tradition if you are not of them, but you feel you owe them?

How does one be syncretic without offending?

What do you do when your tradition lacks something you seek even it otherwise perfectly describes your convictions?
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Appropriation and Questions of Faith
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:24:15 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;177804

For me? I compartmentalise. I worship Greek gods one way, for certain things; I worship Roman gods on other occasions in a different way. I try to keep each rite within the context from which it was derived, and practise in a historically authentic manner. The way that ancient religion conceived itself was as a collection of separate yet interdependent cults to specific deities or divine powers. And it's that model, mostly, that I base my religion off of. Hence why I do describe myself as syncretic reconstructionist; I don't like being bound to just one tradition, but I'm wary of blending them in an eclectic manner.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:35:57 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;177811
For me? I compartmentalise. I worship Greek gods one way, for certain things; I worship Roman gods on other occasions in a different way. I try to keep each rite within the context from which it was derived, and practise in a historically authentic manner. The way that ancient religion conceived itself was as a collection of separate yet interdependent cults to specific deities or divine powers. And it's that model, mostly, that I base my religion off of. Hence why I do describe myself as syncretic reconstructionist; I don't like being bound to just one tradition, but I'm wary of blending them in an eclectic manner.

Honestly I'm not talking about western traditions here. Blending isn't the problem in and of itself for me, it's cultural appropriation and offending marginalized people that is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:37:09 am by Riothamus12 »
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:02:07 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;177812
Honestly I'm not talking about western traditions here. Blending isn't the problem in and of itself for me, it's cultural appropriation and offending marginalized people that is.

Quite frankly, cultures in contact borrow from each other. They always have and always will. While it upsets some that I feel this way, I don't worry about cultural appropriation in general. If you like some aspect of a culture, I feel you have every right to copy it for your own use. What you do not have a right to do is pretend you did not borrow it, misrepresent yourself or your beliefs as somehow a part of that culture, sell that bit of culture (e.g. like those who sell weekend classes that they claim or imply make you a real shaman in some particular cultural tradition), or expect people of that culture to accept you are a real whatever and let you into their ceremonies, lands,  or cultural practices.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Dusk

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:04 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;177804
I've been doing some reading on cultural appropriation and several questions came to my mind.

What do you do when something else from another tradition makes more sense to you though you may not match up with them as well or you may have a different slant on that concept?

What do you do to honor the influences from another tradition if you are not of them, but you feel you owe them?

What do you do when your tradition lacks something you seek even it otherwise perfectly describes your convictions?

On how to be syncretic siccessfully, I found this article very interesting and I think many of the "difficulties" listed there are things that also define the difficulties with cultural appropriation. For example, dilution, magpie syndrome, ignoring undesirable aspects of the context/only engaging on a shallow level.

Cultural appropriation is a very complicated issue that I've seen discussed very heatedly in many contexts, including spirituality. A search on this forum gives these results.

When it comes to cultural appropriation, I find it really helps to be specific. You already clarified that you meant this in regards to marginalized cultures, and that's a key point. But it's still very broad. Are we talking about rituals, celebrations, deities, concepts of the afterlife, a certain structure of prayer or devotion? When you say it might not "match up as well" or you might have a "different slant", are you talking about your culture and context (I want to do "x" ritual but slaughtering an animal on my front porch wouldn't go over well with my neighbors), or in a difference in belief (I like this concept of the afterlife but I don't believe in souls being judged)? What kind of influences are we talking here - again, are they kind of core beliefs about the way the world works or something more specific?

As for the last question, I think it's perfectly fine to find an extra piece to patch a hole in whatever tradition you otherwise follow, but keeping in mind how appropriate it is to mesh the two.

My general standards for judging if cultural appropriation is inappropriate or not boil down to motivation, understanding, and respect. For example:

Motivation: Do you want to worship a God from another culture because you think it's a really cool God, or because you actually feel like the God is trying to communicate with you? Are you just picking and choosing appealing aspects from different cultures, or is there a specific need that is filled by a certain element of a tradition? Borrowing something because you think it looks/sounds nice or cool or interesting is more likely to be offensive than if you feel a genuine resonance and draw to it that you can't control.

Understanding: Do you really understand what it is that you're borrowing, how it works, why it exists? Do you understand the cultural context? If you've really done your research and know exactly what you're dealing with, it's less likely to be a problem than if you grab something with a shallow understanding of it and try to use it.

Respect: This goes with the above. If you discover the thing you're interested in is traditionally considered totally off limits to people outside the culture or without certain training, respect that and either reconsider your involvement or maybe try to talk to someone with experience in that spirituality. And it should go without saying, but have an extra dose of respect when you're dealing with that tradition.

Finally, pay close attention to any signs or gut feelings that a particular fusion of cultural traditions or your use of something from a different tradition is not a good thing. If you start to feel like your actions are an unwanted intrusion, offensive, or otherwise disrespectful, there's probably a reason.
Shadows of Dusk - My tumblr with bits and musings related to my path.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:39:09 am »
Quote from: Dusk;177925
On how to be syncretic siccessfully, I found this article very interesting and I think many of the "difficulties" listed there are things that also define the difficulties with cultural appropriation. For example, dilution, magpie syndrome, ignoring undesirable aspects of the context/only engaging on a shallow level.

Cultural appropriation is a very complicated issue that I've seen discussed very heatedly in many contexts, including spirituality. A search on this forum gives these results.

When it comes to cultural appropriation, I find it really helps to be specific. You already clarified that you meant this in regards to marginalized cultures, and that's a key point. But it's still very broad. Are we talking about rituals, celebrations, deities, concepts of the afterlife, a certain structure of prayer or devotion? When you say it might not "match up as well" or you might have a "different slant", are you talking about your culture and context (I want to do "x" ritual but slaughtering an animal on my front porch wouldn't go over well with my neighbors), or in a difference in belief (I like this concept of the afterlife but I don't believe in souls being judged)? What kind of influences are we talking here - again, are they kind of core beliefs about the way the world works or something more specific?

As for the last question, I think it's perfectly fine to find an extra piece to patch a hole in whatever tradition you otherwise follow, but keeping in mind how appropriate it is to mesh the two.

My general standards for judging if cultural appropriation is inappropriate or not boil down to motivation, understanding, and respect. For example:

Motivation: Do you want to worship a God from another culture because you think it's a really cool God, or because you actually feel like the God is trying to communicate with you? Are you just picking and choosing appealing aspects from different cultures, or is there a specific need that is filled by a certain element of a tradition? Borrowing something because you think it looks/sounds nice or cool or interesting is more likely to be offensive than if you feel a genuine resonance and draw to it that you can't control.

Understanding: Do you really understand what it is that you're borrowing, how it works, why it exists? Do you understand the cultural context? If you've really done your research and know exactly what you're dealing with, it's less likely to be a problem than if you grab something with a shallow understanding of it and try to use it.

Respect: This goes with the above. If you discover the thing you're interested in is traditionally considered totally off limits to people outside the culture or without certain training, respect that and either reconsider your involvement or maybe try to talk to someone with experience in that spirituality. And it should go without saying, but have an extra dose of respect when you're dealing with that tradition.

Finally, pay close attention to any signs or gut feelings that a particular fusion of cultural traditions or your use of something from a different tradition is not a good thing. If you start to feel like your actions are an unwanted intrusion, offensive, or otherwise disrespectful, there's probably a reason.

For example, I have read a great deal on Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism. However,  Hinduism and Buddhism both have a concept of karma, but my idea of "karma" (I use quotations because the concept I am talking about operates along similar lines, but differs) in that it is not tied to any notion of reincarnation. As much as I may agree with them on certain points, reincarnation is not something I can bring myself to believe in. The issue comes is that I do not know if there is a sufficient term in any language of my ancestors languages to convey the concept I am speaking of, but I don't want to offend Hindus by possibly misusing the word. I have read a great deal from the Hindu texts, but I still fear that using the word karma, however similar the concept may be, may not be the correct word for it.

I have read about ATRs and African Diasporic religions however, the influence these have had is almost entirely a philosophical and I do not actively incorporate anything from them that does not have a parallel elsewhere in practice, but the thing is, if I wanted to honor them in the context under which the Orishas, Loa, and other such Divinities, have usually been worshiped and invoked, it might involve ritual sacrifice of an animal. However, I do not believe in ritual sacrifice of another living being. I do not that is something that is mine to give. Also, perhaps a bit of influence from reading on Dharmic religions, is the urge to avoid causing unnecessary harm. I am someone who believes quite deeply in the "And it harm none, do what ye will." However that does mean I am opposed to resorting to force to defend myself and others. I do however believe one should avoid killing even in those circumstances.

I also do not pursue the worship of a Deity because I think they're cool. That is a form of disrespect for which I can find no proper justification. I may pray to a Deity because I think I need their guidance or honor them to bring myself closer to an understanding of Divinity I am not certain I could arrive at otherwise and in some cases, because I feel a certain resonance with them. If I make an offering, I may not have much to give but I will seek out information on how they are traditionally worshiped, what offerings are made to them, and any special observances and apply them. These Deities would not be linked to these things for no reason.

The other problem is that trying to find any kind of teacher has always been a point of frustration for me because it often feels that the ones who are present do not seem to represent the path that is right for me, the ones that might be seem far away and if someone expects me to pay for online courses, I already have so many financial concerns as it is. Then there's the fact that there are few pagans here to begin with or for that matter, of any non-Abrahamic religion. The closest thing  I have is my father and even we disagree on several key points. I have yet to encounter a tradition that reflects my philosophy to a great enough extent.

Then there's the urge to determine how other paths fit within the context of mine. How can I apply what I have learned in a way that links this path with the others? Furthermore, there is a feeling that I owe not only the Deities associated with these other traditions, but to a certain extent, the people for keeping them alive.

There's a great deal more I could say, these are just a few examples.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:42:25 am by Riothamus12 »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:37 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;177927
...I am someone who believes quite deeply in the "And it harm none, do what ye will." However that does mean I am opposed to resorting to force to defend myself and others. I do however believe one should avoid killing even in those circumstances...

It's been mentioned in other places, but I thought it was worthwhile to point out here as well:  the part of the Rede you quote above only deals with actions that harm no one.  It does not say anything about whether actions that harm are good or bad.

Like Darkhawk's said, "if it isn't raining we can have a picnic" doesn't say what to do if it is raining.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:38:59 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178008
It's been mentioned in other places, but I thought it was worthwhile to point out here as well:  the part of the Rede you quote above only deals with actions that harm no one.  It does not say anything about whether actions that harm are good or bad.

Like Darkhawk's said, "if it isn't raining we can have a picnic" doesn't say what to do if it is raining.

The implicit message is that actions that harm are bad. However, as I said I do believe in the right to defend oneself.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:47 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;178013
The implicit message is that actions that harm are bad. However, as I said I do believe in the right to defend oneself.

I would say that the implicit message is simply that actions that harm are not subject to the blanket permission of 'do what you will'. Any assumption about why they aren't subject to it is inference, not implication.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:19 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178036
I would say that the implicit message is simply that actions that harm are not subject to the blanket permission of 'do what you will'. Any assumption about why they aren't subject to it is inference, not implication.

Sunflower

Why else would they be? The rede is ethically related. It is implicit.

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:12 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;178037
Why else would they be? The rede is ethically related. It is implicit.

Certainly it's ethically related. But it is not a statement of the ethic, 'actions that harm are bad; don't do them' - quite simply, it doesn't say that. It doesn't say actions that do no harm are inherently good, either; it just says that such actions can be done at will.

And I don't dispute that it implies that non-harmful actions are preferable to harmful ones. But reading more detail than that into it ceases to be implication, and starts to be inference: what the individual themselves brings to the words. I'm not belittling inference here; on the contrary, I consider it to be a necessary and inherent part of the process of applying the Rede.

Keep in mind, too, that it's not an injunction; the very word 'rede' means 'advice'.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:04 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178008
... the part of the Rede you quote above....

I didn't notice this earlier, but now that I have, it seems to me to be the sort of nit that does need to be picked.

'If it harms none, do what you will,' is not 'part of' the Rede, it is the Rede. I imagine you're thinking of the poem 'The Rede of the Wiccae', into which it was later incorporated. (More info here, and lots more here and in my posts in this thread.)

Sunflower

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:32:51 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178040
I didn't notice this earlier, but now that I have, it seems to me to be the sort of nit that does need to be picked.

'If it harms none, do what you will,' is not 'part of' the Rede, it is the Rede. I imagine you're thinking of the poem 'The Rede of the Wiccae', into which it was later incorporated. (More info here, and lots more here and in my posts in this thread.)

Sunflower

I was, actually.  Thanks for clarifying.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Stormwise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:27:42 pm »
Riothamus12 wrote:

I follow my heart, and work with my gods and spirits to arrive at a way in which I can express my beliefs and learn from their wisdom. I do not regard differing cultures as a barrier to this. If I am working with people, however, I will work within the framework of traditions and customs that allow us to best communicate with one another.

Riothamus12 wrote:

Honesty, and giving credit where credit is due. I also make certain that what I gain from these influences is limited to spiritual and religious profit, rather than temporal.

Riothamus12 wrote:

In my opinion, it's unlikely that this can be done without offending someone. This is something you have to be clear about, should you decide to act upon inspirations from other cultures.

Riothamus12 wrote:

I follow my heart and faculty for sound reasoning, and work to improve my personal tradition by building upon my relationships with the gods I follow and learn from. If this means allowing myself to be inspired by another culture's traditions, then I allow that inspiration to grow in my personal tradition while honoring the criteria I listed as answers to your previous questions. I do not think it's practical for people to claim ownership of the gods or spirits that inspire us. As such, I do not think it is practical to claim ownership over the inspiration they grant us, to include traditions we build around these inspirations.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 05:54:10 pm »
Quote from: Stormwise;178101

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)  We don't just need the text you're responding to, but the link back to the actual original post, so please leave that code included when you quote!

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: