Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Offerings / sacrifices in an apartment  (Read 1587 times)

Genus Unknown

• View Profile
Offerings / sacrifices in an apartment
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:42:59 pm »
In exploring various forms of paganism / heathenry, I've made a few (clumsy) offerings of milk and/or alcohol to various gods, ancestors, and land spirits. I generally do this by going outside, saying a little prayer, offering the drink to the deity, and pouring it out on the ground. Sometimes I take a sip, sometimes I don't -- I haven't figured out what feels more appropriate yet.

This works fine in the country, but I'm going to be moving soon to an apartment in town.

How does sacrifice work in that setting? Pouring it down the sink just feels wrong, y'know? So what do I do with the sacrificed "stuff?"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Offerings / sacrifices in an apartment
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:46:22 pm »
Quote from: Genus Unknown;177771
In exploring various forms of paganism / heathenry, I've made a few (clumsy) offerings of milk and/or alcohol to various gods, ancestors, and land spirits. I generally do this by going outside, saying a little prayer, offering the drink to the deity, and pouring it out on the ground. Sometimes I take a sip, sometimes I don't -- I haven't figured out what feels more appropriate yet.

This works fine in the country, but I'm going to be moving soon to an apartment in town.

How does sacrifice work in that setting? Pouring it down the sink just feels wrong, y'know? So what do I do with the sacrificed "stuff?"

A lot of people will do a ve pot. Basically a large potted plant that you can pour alcohol/water into, or rest offerings in. You might carve some wooden sticks into images of the gods and stake them in the pot as well.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:47:19 pm »
Even in the city there's usually some sort of plant/greenspace. for me, I live in an apartment.. but there's a birch tree behind my apartment, and forest/swamp nearby.. the Birch tree is where i leave most of my offerings .. usually animal ok things like bread.. often times alcohol(whiskey, vodka, whatever feels right). . I don't have plants in my apartment because my cat eats everything and i'm not good with plants either. :) hope this helps some.

Quote from: Genus Unknown;177771

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:39:20 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177797
A lot of people will do a ve pot. Basically a large potted plant that you can pour alcohol/water into, or rest offerings in. You might carve some wooden sticks into images of the gods and stake them in the pot as well.

I've thought about doing just that... asking the landvaettirs' permission to fill a pot with soil to bring into the house for when the weather is too bad to pour out the offering outdoors. When the weather turns nice I would return the soil outdoors.

Tags: