Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Trump? Seriously??  (Read 7367 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Trump? Seriously??
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 12:25:39 am »
Quote from: carillion;177780
Just a niggle: Canada first became a country in 1867. It had it's firs public health service two years before the U.K. (in Saskatchewan)

I don't think age per se has much to do with it.

That's a little different though, isn't it? 1867 is  when Canada was allowed to have a responsible government as a dominion of the UK, and then was granted full on independence after WWI. But it's still a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state even today?

Does that really count as similar to America's independence and ground work with government, etc?

But I am at  loss to explain Mr. Trump :) except he gets a disproportionate amount of press . 'Ordinary' candidates don't have the money or the shock factor to make a national impression...yet.

I think historians in the future are going to have field day with the internet's lasting impact on humanity. I mean, there's so much information you kind of have to make a spectacle of yourself to stand out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:31:28 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 01:14:38 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177782
That's a little different though, isn't it? 1867 is  when Canada was allowed to have a responsible government as a dominion of the UK, and then was granted full on independence after WWI. But it's still a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state even today?

Does that really count as similar to America's independence and ground work with government, etc?

I think historians in the future are going to have field day with the internet's lasting impact on humanity. I mean, there's so much information you kind of have to make a spectacle of yourself to stand out.

Yes and No. We were politically autonomous from that time (ruled by our own, not the U.K.'s parliament)with the Queen as titular head. We stopped being a 'dominion' and became our own country in name in 1982 though we still allow the Queen to gurn down from public office portraits and do these things (but if she tried to do number 10 she would get politically bitch-slapped from here to eternity):

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53036/10-things-queen-england-still-does-canada

But it's true we took our model for government from the U.K..That still doesn't explain why we had a working public health care system before they did.

Although I think the 'net is probably the most influential cultural ..shapers?  of the post-millilenial world, I don't think it's actually driving politics or culture yet. I think it's representational only on some levels. Although we spend a lot of time on line, we don't *live* there .

And though it has the power to inform people on just about anything to an amazing degree, I think people still don't use it primarily as a learning tool so much as personally programmable T.V.. How many people do you think really study Infrastructure all though it's vitally important and the information can now be accessed by people at home?

I fear too many just use it to shore up their  confirmation bias after they have made their decisions.

Oh, and cat videos.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:15:57 am by carillion »

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:23 am »
Quote from: Altair;177778

We now return you to Trumpvision.

The only channel still willing to air The Apprentice and Miss Universe Pageant! ;)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 07:32:38 am »
Quote from: Altair;177619
He launches his alleged presidential bid by branding Mexican immigrants as "rapists".
He poo-poos the sacrifices of former POW Senator John McCain, saying he prefers his heroes not get captured.
He gives out rival candidate Lindsey Graham's private phone number to the masses.

And he sits on top or near the top of myriad Republican presidential polls.

Can *anyone* explain this to me? Are Republicans that far gone, or are they just presidentially suicidal? Bad enough they've got SIXTEEEN (at last count) declared candidates, incl. not-a-prayer-so-must-be-angling-for-a-VP-slot George Pataki (who?) and household-name-in-his-dreams-only John Kasich...

What is going on??

So we have Donald Trump running for president, and a current one that can't lower a flag appropriately. .....honestly I just don't have any words
Semper Fidelis

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 09:56:24 pm »
I've been to Bern a couple of times (love that town!), and like nearly all of Switzerland it's accessible by an extensive and always-on-time rail system. Just sayin'.

That was kind of my intended point, though vaguely phrased.

Oh well, it looks like that topic has been trumped by others...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 12:57:55 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;177806

Oh well, it looks like that topic has been trumped by others...

Badum tishhhhhh
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 12:12:46 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;177810
Badum tishhhhhh

Oooohhhhh.... and I used to have a link to a sound clip of a rim shot..... two computers ago.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Stormwise

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:32 am »
He launches his alleged presidential bid by branding Mexican immigrants as "rapists".
He poo-poos the sacrifices of former POW Senator John McCain, saying he prefers his heroes not get captured.
He gives out rival candidate Lindsey Graham's private phone number to the masses.

What is going on??

Just a thought, also from someone sitting on 'the other side of the pond' - misdirection is a favorite tool of stage magicians, pickpockets, and politicians. While everyone is focusing on Trump and his antics, Jeb Bush is gathering more money and supporters. At the same time, Trump doesn't have to win anything for his various financial interests to benefit from all the press he's getting.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2015, 11:06:32 am »

Anyone else watch the debates?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178354

I'm watching the 'top ten' now.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:56 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178354

Both the baby debate and the big kid debate, with plenty of vodka at the ready to help me through the pain. And score cards, of a sort (GOP debate bingo, etc.).

Carly Fiorina was the clear winner of the baby debate. I was impressed with her performance, even if I find most her positions and her anti-gay stance abhorrent. Rick Perry came off as angry, and Lindsey Graham as cold oatmeal with irrelevant, canned statements and eyes that didn't know where to look. I predict he'll be the first of the 17 to drop out.

As for the big kid debate...Trump. Delicious! Chris Christie vs. Rand Paul. Exquisite! Esp. when Christie wrapped himself in the hugs of 9/11 relatives (not to be outdone by George "Why Are You Even Here?" Pataki, who invoked 9/11 at least twice). I'd say Marco Rubio came off the best of this lot.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2015, 12:38:36 am »
Quote from: Altair;178386
Both the baby debate and the big kid debate, with plenty of vodka at the ready to help me through the pain. And score cards, of a sort (GOP debate bingo, etc.).

Carly Fiorina was the clear winner of the baby debate. I was impressed with her performance, even if I find most her positions and her anti-gay stance abhorrent. Rick Perry came off as angry, and Lindsey Graham as cold oatmeal with irrelevant, canned statements and eyes that didn't know where to look. I predict he'll be the first of the 17 to drop out.

As for the big kid debate...Trump. Delicious! Chris Christie vs. Rand Paul. Exquisite! Esp. when Christie wrapped himself in the hugs of 9/11 relatives (not to be outdone by George "Why Are You Even Here?" Pataki, who invoked 9/11 at least twice). I'd say Marco Rubio came off the best of this lot.

I only watched a few minutes of the kiddie debate, and missed the final moments of the later one.

I don't watch Fox News and only know what I hear about it, so I was surprised that the candidates weren't treated like special Republican snowflakes. Man, they had it out for Trump since the word "go". They must still think he's a plant.

I agree that Rubio came across the best. Jeb is totally a Bush: "And vote for me!...when it's the time to vote, and at that time when you can vote."

I felt bad for the Dr. Totally out of his element and he doesn't even know the basics! I guess he figures as President somebody will probably fill him in.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:39:59 am by Juniperberry »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 08:56:08 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178389

I felt bad for the Dr. Totally out of his element and he doesn't even know the basics! I guess he figures as President somebody will probably fill him in.

Oh man! It was painful, like that horrible stereotype--of the clueless black man put where he doesn't belong just as a token, to fill some quota--come to life.

In other words, Clarence Thomas.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 08:31:22 pm »

We now return you to Trumpvision.

It gets better.

Trump says he fired his campaign adviser. His adviser says he fired Trump.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/sources-roger-stone-quit-wasnt-fired-by-donald-trump-in-campaign-shakeup-121177.html

Tags: