collapse

Author Topic: Trump? Seriously??  (Read 7462 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Trump? Seriously??
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:12 pm »
He launches his alleged presidential bid by branding Mexican immigrants as "rapists".
He poo-poos the sacrifices of former POW Senator John McCain, saying he prefers his heroes not get captured.
He gives out rival candidate Lindsey Graham's private phone number to the masses.

And he sits on top or near the top of myriad Republican presidential polls.

Can *anyone* explain this to me? Are Republicans that far gone, or are they just presidentially suicidal? Bad enough they've got SIXTEEEN (at last count) declared candidates, incl. not-a-prayer-so-must-be-angling-for-a-VP-slot George Pataki (who?) and household-name-in-his-dreams-only John Kasich...

What is going on??
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Trump? Seriously??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177619

What is going on??

... dude.

America.

This is hardly the year's most egregious fuckup.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:14:09 pm »
Quote from: Valeria Crowe;177620
... dude.

America.

Granted, but I can't recall a presidential election cycle that has ever started with this level of ridiculousness from either major party. And been rewarded by its base for it, no less!

What other nation could possibly take our presidential selection process seriously, after this?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:16:50 pm »

I have to agree with Valeria.  We still don't know if the new Star Wars is gonna be any good.  

But yeah... Trump.  How to explain that?  Well, let's face it.  The current field of GOPher poppies looks pretty bland.  Lightning rod that he is, Trump is "exciting".  Doesn't hurt that the media are making so much of him.  

My prediction: Trump is showboating, he'll bow out when a presidential campaign starts to resemble anything like real work.  Which'll be disappointing.  US politics is absurd theater, and it seems he's the only one who gets it.  

I'm really looking forward to a Sanders/Trump debate.  The potential for hilarity there is unprecedented.  

But if Trump bails like I think he will, 2016 will lose all entertainment value for me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:19:08 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »
... dude.

America.

^This.

Whenever someone asks why I don't trust the USian public, I point to the popularity of Donald Trump (both in the polls and when he was just a TV star) and Honey Boo Boo.  But yeah, hopefully this farce will be over with when campaigning starts to resemble "real" work.

And I never thought I'd see the day when another Bush in the White House would be one of the relatively less awful options...

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;177622
I have to agree with Valeria.  We still don't know if the new Star Wars is gonna be any good.  

I was sorta talking about the hatecrime wave, not the new Star Wars movie.

Important fuckups.

BAD fuckups.

Also, that movie will rock.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:38:00 pm by Darkhawk »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »
Quote from: Valeria Crowe;177628

Also, that movie will rock.

Oh, so totally no.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177631
Oh, so totally no.

What?

Oh, not you too.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

Can *anyone* explain this to me? Are Republicans that far gone, or are they just presidentially suicidal?

What is going on??

Wshington Post says that his remarks only got widespread news coverage on the last day of the polls. And on that final night, there was a significant drop in his ratings. 54% of the Republican party says he does not reflect their views. 62% of Americans say they definitely would not vote for him.

According to CNN, The RNC has tweeted that they definitely have no place in their party for Trump. Per Romney's former advisor, "This [standing against Trump] is their chance to really draw some stark contrasts about the direction of the party".

I'm an Independent voter, btw. I just thought this was some uplifting news about our nation as a whole. And maybe it'd ease your fears a bit. I really don't see Trump going far.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:43:12 am »
Can *anyone* explain this to me? Are Republicans that far gone, or are they just presidentially suicidal?

This is the end result of Nixon's Southern Strategy -- helped along by the Tea Party driving out all the moderates in the Republican Party. The Republican Party's base -- the people who turn out for the primaries -- tend to be bigots who left (or whose parents left) the Democrat party after the civil rights laws of the Johnson era and Tea Party extremists. Trump has huge appeal to both of these.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:58 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177633
According to CNN, The RNC has tweeted that they definitely have no place in their party for Trump. Per Romney's former advisor, "This [standing against Trump] is their chance to really draw some stark contrasts about the direction of the party".

Trump, however, could end up being the Republican version of McGovern -- especially as the Republican party leadership isn't really in charge any more, the Tea Party is.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:17:04 am »
He launches his alleged presidential bid by branding Mexican immigrants as "rapists".
He poo-poos the sacrifices of former POW Senator John McCain, saying he prefers his heroes not get captured.
He gives out rival candidate Lindsey Graham's private phone number to the masses.

Can *anyone* explain this to me? Are Republicans that far gone, or are they just presidentially suicidal? Bad enough they've got SIXTEEEN (at last count) declared candidates, incl. not-a-prayer-so-must-be-angling-for-a-VP-slot George Pataki (who?) and household-name-in-his-dreams-only John Kasich...

What is going on??

I didn't know about his existence until last week, but when the Trump campaign published a propaganda poster with Trump and Waffen SS-reenactors on Twitter, it was even reported in European media. What makes the poster so sinister is the text: 'America needs leadership'. If you translate that into German, the entire thing enters the Twilight Zone of Fascism and ridiculousness.

Do you still have the Oath of Allegiance in Northern American schools? The custom always strike me as oddly Fascist when I see it occur on film or TV. Why on earth does a democracy maintain such a strange custom?

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:48:19 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;177650

Do you still have the Oath of Allegiance in Northern American schools? The custom always strike me as oddly Fascist when I see it occur on film or TV. Why on earth does a democracy maintain such a strange custom?

The Pledge, yeah. The Oath is what you swear if you become a citizen in later life (born citizens, I guess, are assumed to have sworn by being born).

Elementary and high school, from a little child on up to eighteenish.

Scary, huh?

I remember pestering my teacher in first grade as to what would hallen if I DIDN'T say it. Got the weirdest blank look, and "You have to" repeated until I gave up.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:49:11 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177633
Wshington Post says that his remarks only got widespread news coverage on the last day of the polls. And on that final night, there was a significant drop in his ratings. 54% of the Republican party says he does not reflect their views. 62% of Americans say they definitely would not vote for him.

I'm an Independent voter, btw. I just thought this was some uplifting news about our nation as a whole. And maybe it'd ease your fears a bit. I really don't see Trump going far.

Sorry to pull that uplift back to earth, but here's the latest:

Trump Leads GOP Field, No Slump After Attacks on McCain
http://morningconsult.com/2015/07/trump-leads-gop-field-no-slump-after-attacks-on-mccain/

To be clear, I don't think Trump has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Republican nomination. (We Democrats should be so lucky! It would make our path to the White House a smooth superhighway paved with gold and lined with ever-blooming roses.) It's just startling that the GOP has reached this point, with this loon able to run amok and do the damage he's doing to a major political party.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:55:38 am »
Quote from: Valeria Crowe;177652

I remember pestering my teacher in first grade as to what would hallen if I DIDN'T say it. Got the weirdest blank look, and "You have to" repeated until I gave up.

On the rare occasion that I find myself in a situation where I'm called upon as an adult to offer the pledge (most recently my niece's middle school graduation ceremony), I do...

...but I always omit "under God"--the part they added in the Cold War era, cuz we ain't no Communists, y'see--because that part in particular is just so obnoxious on so many levels. Which puts me out of sync with the rest of the crowd by the end of the pledge. It gets me odd looks from others nearby.

Tags: