collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Cocidius (Romano-British)  (Read 1102 times)

rinceoir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Cocidius (Romano-British)
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
I was curious if anyone on the forum has studied the Romano-British deity Cocidius or has worked with him and has some insights on what he is like/in what ways he likes to be honored.

From my random internet searching, I've found he has had shrines and altars attested to in several locations in Cumbria/Northumberland in the vicinity of the Roman forts along Hadrian's wall. There are contrasting (or complementary, I suppose) viewpoints seeing him as a god associated with war, the hunt, and forests, as the Romans associated him with Mars in their carvings and apparently Silvanus (as in, Cocidius of the Alder Tree).

Some sources I used via internet search:
https://esmeraldamac.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/cocidius-the-cumbrian-god/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocidius
http://www.roman-britain.org/places/fanum_cocidi.htm

I came to be interested in him after a trip to visit the Bewcastle fort and the church next door. I'm descended from the border reiver family of that area and wanted to visit the ancestral lands as well as pay a visit to my ancestors in the graveyard. I felt very comfortable in the area of Bewcastle and after a visit to Hadrian's wall, compared with my travel friend who felt very empty and bleak as we stood on the windswept hills. Cocidius was mentioned in the small museum next to the Bewcastle church.

Anyway, to summarize: I know a very scant bit about Cocidius and would love to hear from any TC members who have either additional information about him (beyond war/the hunt/forests and the Romans had shrines) from their studies or from UPG. I don't necessarily plan to work with him but would like to honor him occasionally as a god of a place that figured in my ancestry.

Tags: