Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Humanity Reaches Pluto Tomorrow (July 14)  (Read 4071 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Humanity Reaches Pluto Tomorrow (July 14)
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:35:01 am »
I'm so excited--our first real look at one of our neighbor worlds! This. Must. Be. Seen.

We're going to reach Pluto for the first time in history tomorrow — here's how to watch

"If everything goes according to plan, a NASA spacecraft, called New Horizons, will fly by Pluto at 7:49 am ET. New Horizons is the first spacecraft in history to ever visit Pluto, and it's been a long time coming after 9 years in space.

"NASA will stream live countdown coverage of the event starting at 7:30 am, followed by a briefing on the mission from 8:00 to 9:00 am ET."

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-watch-new-horizons-pluto-flyby-2015-7
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Humanity Reaches Pluto Tomorrow (July 14)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
Quote from: Altair;177052
I'm so excited--our first real look at one of our neighbor worlds! This. Must. Be. Seen.

[/url]

Hah!

Take that, Pluto deniers!

Pluto lives!
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

rinceoir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:52:13 am »

I am SO excited for this! That is way too early in the morning for my timezone for watching live, but I'm very excited to watch the replay.

Though this is a once in any and all lifetimes experience, so I may just manage the early wakeup...

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:12 pm »
Quote from: Valeria Crowe;177054
Hah!

Take that, Pluto deniers!

Pluto lives!

Yeah, but he's a dwarf now.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:44:16 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177059
Yeah, but he's a dwarf now.

Yeah? So's Tyrion Lannister, and EVERYONE wants HIM.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »

We're going to reach Pluto for the first time in history tomorrow — here's how to watch

"If everything goes according to plan, a NASA spacecraft, called New Horizons, will fly by Pluto at 7:49 am ET. New Horizons is the first spacecraft in history to ever visit Pluto, and it's been a long time coming after 9 years in space.

"NASA will stream live countdown coverage of the event starting at 7:30 am, followed by a briefing on the mission from 8:00 to 9:00 am ET."

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-watch-new-horizons-pluto-flyby-2015-7

Hang on, is this the actual time of the fly-by or the time the transmission is received here? IIRC it's several light-hours from Earth to Pluto.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;177122
Hang on, is this the actual time of the fly-by or the time the transmission is received here? IIRC it's several light-hours from Earth to Pluto.

As I understand it, that's actual flyby. The probe goes dark at that time (everything focused on scanning), plus there's the 4-hour transmit time you've noted.

BUT apparently the probe has already sent images of Pluto, in a complete data dump to NASA (as a failsafe in case of cataclysm during flyby) as final approach begins; NASA supposedly will be releasing these images during the flyby.

If I'm understanding how they're doing this correctly!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:30 am »
Quote from: Altair;177158

If I'm understanding how they're doing this correctly!

Well that was disappointing.

Instead of new images, it was a bunch of people standing around. Worse, they broke out into chants of "USA! USA!" while waving little US flags, as if it were a NASCAR rally or a professional wrestling match. (Don't get me wrong; this is an achievement my country can be proud of. But to needlessly turn it into a jingoistic pep rally while the whole world is watching just seemed cheesy. And it seemed completely staged, rather than spontaneous. Who were they trying to impress? Congress, to get more funding?)

At least, on the NASA news feed I was watching, Mike the announcer was kinda cute. And kinda gay.

Anyway, when we finally do get the new images, hopefully they'll be pretty cool. This a great human accomplishment.

rinceoir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:27:44 am »
Quote from: Altair;177180
Well that was disappointing.

I felt surprisingly emotional given how boring the actual event was. Growing up with my big, well-loved picture books from the Voyager 1 and 2 missions as well as other astronomy books, I'd gaze at the blurry balls of Pluto and Charon longingly wishing there was more to see and read. A major accomplishment indeed. The image from last night's data dump was beautiful and I can't wait until the data start arriving again tonight.

I did get a giggle at how the one announcer on NASA tv kept looking at the wrong camera.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »
Quote from: Altair;177180
Instead of new images, it was a bunch of people standing around.

I think they did a bad job of advertising what was going to happen. People expected images when actually no data was being sent back during the closest approach -- all power was used for the science and the data stored for later transmission. A lot of news outlets seem to gloss over that bit.  

Fortunately, the spacecraft has signaled survived that it survived the encounter. If I remember correctly, we might have a few pictures late in the week.  I believe it will take months to get all the data from the fly-by back to Earth.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:23 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;177265
I think they did a bad job of advertising what was going to happen. People expected images when actually no data was being sent back during the closest approach -- all power was used for the science and the data stored for later transmission. A lot of news outlets seem to gloss over that bit.  

Fortunately, the spacecraft has signaled survived that it survived the encounter.

Excellent news!

All the hoopla has inspired me to refresh my knowledge of our neighboring worlds (not just the planets, but the dizzying variety of fascinating moons--some the size of small planets themselves). And of course, our knowledge of them is always changing, improving. It amazes me how different from each other so many of them are.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 12:26:11 am »
Quote from: Altair;177266

Beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 01:31:31 am »

This is why I avoid mainstream (and even most of the 'populist' science) news outlets when it comes to space-and-astronomy news, and rely on things like NASA Science News, Universe Today, Sky & Telescope, and the like. I did consider posting a heads-up about the lack of immediate data to this thread yesterday, since my sources had been making quite a point of noting it (which often indicates that the more-mainstream reportage has been omitting details, again) but couldn't quickly find a good reference, and had other things on my mind/plate so I didn't bother.

I don't think it can be attributed to NASA doing a bad job advertising it, though - as I say, my own preferred sources certainly had that information. NASA (or any space agency, or any sort of scientific researchers) can only provide info; they have no control over what sloppy journalists choose to omit or fail to understand.

If I remember correctly, we might have a few pictures late in the week.  I believe it will take months to get all the data from the fly-by back to Earth.

This is how I understand it, as well - New Horizons was designed to gather a huge amount of data very rapidly, which will take several months to download to Earth. So we'll get a bit at a time, but there'll be a steady stream of it, continuing into next year - and that's not counting the results of analysis/study, which'll likely be going on for years.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

rinceoir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 10:34:40 am »

Fortunately, the spacecraft has signaled survived that it survived the encounter. If I remember correctly, we might have a few pictures late in the week.  I believe it will take months to get all the data from the fly-by back to Earth.

I was watching some of the NASA TV coverage last night when they announced the survival of the spacecraft and had a big to-do with the mission team. From what I heard, they plan to release some images at the press conference today, which is at 3pm Eastern Daylight Time.

Here is the information from the NASA press release webpage if anyone would like to watch. All times are Eastern.

Wednesday, July 15
Noon to 3 p.m. – Interview Opportunities (no NASA TV coverage)

Informal group briefings and availability for one-on-one interviews. An updated schedule will be posted in the New Horizons Media Center. Media may call into the media center for phone interviews during newsroom hours.

3 to 4 p.m. – Media Briefing: Seeing Pluto in a New Light; live on NASA TV

Release of close-up images of Pluto’s surface and moons, along with initial science team reactions.

Not only will it take months to get all the data, but years of study to figure out what the data are revealing. The data collection is nerve-wracking and joyous, and what an accomplishment for science and engineering to fly a set of instruments for 9.5 years and have them go silent for hours of intense observations and still continue flying successfully. But now the most exciting part...making sense of and learning from the data.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 05:15:02 pm »
Quote from: rinceoir;177299

Release of close-up images of Pluto’s surface and moons, along with initial science team reactions.

And the first of those photos is in:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/15/science/space/new-horizons-pluto-flyby-photos.html

Tags: