Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Gods of sexuality? Eros, Priapus, Pan, Aphrodite. Any experiences? What differences?  (Read 5153 times)

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Redfaery;180782
Such as the fact that "Eros" doesn't really mean love like modern westerners would think.

Indeed. Still, he is a personified concept, so considering him merely "a god of love" seems rather dismissive.

Shankara

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Quote from: eros_eleutherios;176891
I like the name Eros and thought he was an interesting god. I heard that Pan and Aphrodite also represents sexuality. What are the differences in your opinion? Which you would you consider the god of sexuality?

I've worked with Babalon for the past six months. She represents the unrestricted force of love, lust and creation. Be that as it may, she is very primordial and difficult to reach. I work with Kali too, as both deities are similar in some aspects. In the Shakta Vedic tradition, our local reality is represented by Kali mounting her consort, MahaKala.

Aethiriel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
I like the name Eros and thought he was an interesting god. I heard that Pan and Aphrodite also represents sexuality. What are the differences in your opinion? Which you would you consider the god of sexuality?

Have any of you had experiences with Priapus? I do not have much about him.

Like others have said, it's not as simple as saying "So-and-so is THE god of this"...gods and goddesses are very much like people and all have many facets and aspects, especially the goddesses. Aphrodite indeed is concerned with sexuality but she also represents the dichotomy of sexuality and virginity. However this is no contradiction as virginity in many such contexts refers more to "wholeness" and a woman being in charge of herself and complete unto herself, so in the truest sense of the word one can be virgin but still have had actual intercourse. It is the sacredness of sexuality that she represents.

My main experience with such a deity is with Freya, meaning "Lady", of Norse mythology. She is a goddess, like Aphrodite, of love and beauty and sexuality, and was very independent and self-possessed and very powerful. She represents life itself and of course the power to create it. Freya also is a powerful Seidh-worker and taught sorcery and witchcraft to Odin and the other Aesir (she and her brother Frey being of the Vanir, a tribe of deities concerned more the with Earth and fertility and connections to the Fey realm), and is therefore a goddess of witchcraft and an excellent matron of witches in general.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:23:30 pm by Aethiriel »
Water knows...flow and grow with me at my blog The Oracle of Water

Goddess_Ashtara

• Journeyman
  • DINGIR NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nexion 3127
Re: Gods of sexuality?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 07:53:06 pm »
Which you would you consider the god of sexuality?

In my spiritual-religious system, the archdemon Lilith is experienced as a powerful inspiration and inclination to engage in... excitement, often extreme excitement.  Through my spiritual-religious system she inspires sex, dance, lust, and exploring the taboo.  She inspires adventure and life-or-death choices, psychedelic journeys and intense ritual... but also violence, vengeance and wrath.
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨
NIN EDINLIL AK IMEN
𒊩𒆪  𒂔𒇸𒀝  𒄿𒈨

Tags: