collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Bel/Belenus  (Read 3516 times)

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Bel/Belenus
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:49:02 am »
Recently I've gained an interest in the Celtic deity, Bel/Belenus. The thing is, little is known about him. I do know he was viewed is the god of the sun, light, water and healing and that the Romans equated him with Apollo. He also has strong connections with Beltaine.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has had any dealings before with Bel/Belenus (however you want to spell it!), particularly on his personality. UPG is more than welcome.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Bel/Belenus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;176800
Recently I've gained an interest in the Celtic deity, Bel/Belenus. The thing is, little is known about him. I do know he was viewed is the god of the sun, light, water and healing and that the Romans equated him with Apollo. He also has strong connections with Beltaine.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has had any dealings before with Bel/Belenus (however you want to spell it!), particularly on his personality. UPG is more than welcome.
This is one of the main Gods that I honor! He is a very powerful force in my life. UPG for me, he is like a father figure. He is very approachable and is full of wisdom and power. Beltane is his feast day. He is one of the most widely worshiped of Celtic Gods, spanning Continental Europe, Britain and Ireland.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:02 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;176805
This is one of the main Gods that I honor! He is a very powerful force in my life. UPG for me, he is like a father figure. He is very approachable and is full of wisdom and power. Beltane is his feast day. He is one of the most widely worshiped of Celtic Gods, spanning Continental Europe, Britain and Ireland.

Thank you for your reply. He seems like a great deity, one that is sadly overlooked. Of all the Celtic deities he is the only one I felt a connection with. I'm glad to know he is approachable and fatherly.

Are there any offerings he tends to like?

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »
Quote from: Fallron;176812
Thank you for your reply. He seems like a great deity, one that is sadly overlooked. Of all the Celtic deities he is the only one I felt a connection with. I'm glad to know he is approachable and fatherly.

Are there any offerings he tends to like?
I tend to offer him Ale or Beer. This seems to be very acceptable.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:23:26 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;176817
I tend to offer him Ale or Beer. This seems to be very acceptable.

Thanks for that! Really appreciate it.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:55 pm »

This lovely person here has a lot of information on Belenos, at least through a Gaulish lense!

While I'm working up to saying hi to him, I haven't yet, though when I do I'll go ahead and maybe post a bit of UPG?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

LiminalAuggie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »

Grain of Salt warning: I'm not reconstructionist in any way, and my experiences and impressions of Belenos are colored by my (individual, localized, and eclectic) practice so I can't really speak to any of his pantheon associations or name etymology or things like that.

I would consider Belenos a patron, in that he gives me the resources I need to do what I do in my practice. He's not a constant or even frequent presence and I have a hard time anthropomorphizing him at all. I get the impression of a very diffuse force in the world, rather than a concentrated one, most of the time.

I've found him to be very caring and benevolent, the solar and healing associations definitely ring true for me. As for offerings, I've had good luck with a variety of things, including: cool water, flame, dairy products, homemade bread, tea (especially dragonwell) and beer--Blacklist's Or de Belgique is my absolute favorite. I've also dedicated creative works/learning new skills to him, and I wear a necklace of baltic amber chips most days as devotional jewelry.

Fallron

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »
Quote from: LiminalAuggie;176899
Grain of Salt warning: I'm not reconstructionist in any way, and my experiences and impressions of Belenos are colored by my (individual, localized, and eclectic) practice so I can't really speak to any of his pantheon associations or name etymology or things like that.

I would consider Belenos a patron, in that he gives me the resources I need to do what I do in my practice. He's not a constant or even frequent presence and I have a hard time anthropomorphizing him at all. I get the impression of a very diffuse force in the world, rather than a concentrated one, most of the time.

I've found him to be very caring and benevolent, the solar and healing associations definitely ring true for me. As for offerings, I've had good luck with a variety of things, including: cool water, flame, dairy products, homemade bread, tea (especially dragonwell) and beer--Blacklist's Or de Belgique is my absolute favorite. I've also dedicated creative works/learning new skills to him, and I wear a necklace of baltic amber chips most days as devotional jewelry.

Very interesting! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

Fair warning, don't go in with solar and water associations in mind. All celtic gods were associated with springs in some way or another, and the solar associations are only due to a misunderstanding of his syncretism with Apollo.

That said, he is a grandfatherly god associated with healing.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:29:56 pm »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;177020
Fair warning, don't go in with solar and water associations in mind. All celtic gods were associated with springs in some way or another, and the solar associations are only due to a misunderstanding of his syncretism with Apollo.

That said, he is a grandfatherly god associated with healing.

I'd love to hear more about this interpretation of him--do you have any sources for it that I could read up on?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:39 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;177022
I'd love to hear more about this interpretation of him--do you have any sources for it that I could read up on?

There were some previous posts on these forums connecting him with the underworld and the spirits of the dead, and though they were very UPG-y I do think that they make sense.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 02:08:57 pm »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;177062
There were some previous posts on these forums connecting him with the underworld and the spirits of the dead, and though they were very UPG-y I do think that they make sense.

How so? Because, at least from what I've read about him, he's more of an ouranic god. Not a cthonic.

Of course, the Gauls didn't write down squat, so it really is hard to tell.

I'll link the posts when I find them. They'll be an interesting read, I think.

LiminalAuggie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;177069
How so? Because, at least from what I've read about him, he's more of an ouranic god. Not a cthonic.

Of course, the Gauls didn't write down squat, so it really is hard to tell.

I'll link the posts when I find them. They'll be an interesting read, I think.

I remember seeing something on the Gaulish Polytheism facebook group about an article that promoted the etymology of "henbane god" rather than "bright" or "shining" and took that to associate him with warrior fury/altered states/Wild Hunt type things, so the cthonic angle could come from there? However I haven't been able to find this article on JSTOR and I only have public library access to journals so I haven't been able to read it for myself. Will try to find the name of it when I'm off work tonight.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »
Quote from: LiminalAuggie;177070
I remember seeing something on the Gaulish Polytheism facebook group about an article that promoted the etymology of "henbane god" rather than "bright" or "shining" and took that to associate him with warrior fury/altered states/Wild Hunt type things, so the cthonic angle could come from there? However I haven't been able to find this article on JSTOR and I only have public library access to journals so I haven't been able to read it for myself. Will try to find the name of it when I'm off work tonight.

Ooooh, that's interesting! I *might* still have access to JSTOR, so I'll see what I can find now. Thanks so much!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:54 pm »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;177062

Also, how does this connect him to a "grandfatherly" aspect? Cthonic =/= grandfatherly.

Tags: