collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Interesting Metaphysical Concept I've been playing with  (Read 3391 times)

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Interesting Metaphysical Concept I've been playing with
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:34:44 am »
Just something random that popped into my head wanted to get your opinion.

What if other versions of yourself in other universes exist and are all aspects of a larger super-conscious that you will all eventually merge into becoming greater entity than any of the individuals?

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Metaphysical Concept I've been playing with
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:10 am »
Quote from: anonymus;176744

What if other versions of yourself in other universes exist and are all aspects of a larger super-conscious that you will all eventually merge into becoming greater entity than any of the individuals?

I don't really see how this would change anything about my life?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 12:00:56 pm »

I dunno. Sounds pretty cool. Not sure what to make of it beyond that. What are the theological implications of this, in your opinion?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:47:57 pm »

Yog-Sothoth waits Through the Gates of the Silver Key.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:55 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;176748
What are the theological implications of this, in your opinion?

One possible implication could be that this being might eventually achieve a certain "critical mass" for a lack of better term possibly ascending to godhood maybe this is how the gods, if they exist, do so and this may also be how they came to exist in the first place?

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:17:01 pm »

You know I just realized that my earlier post may imply that this "super-consciousness" exists outside of linear time that in fact a piece of each of us does, interesting... I think that's why an earlier commentator made the Lovecraft reference.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:38 pm »

Well I don't think I believe it, but it's certainly interesting to think about the implications considering how many layers there are to oneself as is. It almost sounds like traditions where one seeks to reunify with the Divine, but in this case, you're unifying with yourself. The concept is certainly fascinating to think about.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:06 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;176764
You know I just realized that my earlier post may imply that this "super-consciousness" exists outside of linear time that in fact a piece of each of us does, interesting... I think that's why an earlier commentator made the Lovecraft reference.

Not so much that a piece of us is contained in a larger whole outside time, rather we are a smaller piece, that temporarily dwells inside time, of a larger whole that exists outside time and always has been (which Lovecraft named Yog-Sothoth).

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/tgsk.aspx

You can skip up to Sections IV and V of Through the Gates of the Silver Key to get to the relevant part. It's rather interesting, I think.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:57:36 pm by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: