Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Resources on Saule  (Read 1916 times)

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Resources on Saule
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:39:02 pm »
This is later than I'd hoped it'd be, but as requested, here's a list of some of the sources I have on Saule. Some of these only cover her in brief detail, so I'll try and indicate what I think are the most important ones to look at for a general understanding of who she is.

Encyclopedia of Gods and Goddesses, Devils and Demons, by Manfred Lurker. It's been awhile since I read it, but it's listed in my notebook as a source that I read/transcribed. So here it is.

Encyclopedia Brittanica.  The physical copy has more information, but the interwebz one is pretty good too. Here's a link to the article on her. I strongly recommend this, as it gives the very basics of who she is without flooding the reader in detail.

Norse Mythology, by Arthur Cotterell. I swear, I didn't put this here on accident- this is a children's book that covers Norse, Slavic, and Baltic myth. Her entry here is brief, but the information I got from it was helpful. So.

Of Gods and Men, by Algirdas J. Greimar. I'm pretty sure this is out of print, and it may be hard to find, but I do strongly recommend this in general. I got a couple of my favorite myths about her from this, and there's a LOT of information on the other Baltic gods in general here- particularly Ausrine, Laima, and Dievs.

Goddesses of World Mythology, by Martha Ann and Dorothy Myers Imel. Fairly straight-forward, information wise.

Encyclopedia of Goddesses and Heroines, bu Patricia Monaghan, PhD.

Sun, Moon, and Stars, by Mary Hoffman and Jane Ray. Also a children's book, and with only a couple pages on Saule. However, I really like this one as it really rounded out what I knew of Saule, Menuo, and Ausrine's shared myth nicely.

And... I'm a little ashamed to say that I use Wikipedia a lot. Here and here are the two articles I know that touch on Saule. Both are really good.

Deities associated with her (all links to Britannica): Menuo (Also Meness) her ex-husband.

Perkunas. I forget why. Lordy, I'm a terrible pagan. I think it's because he used to be her lover, but don't quote me.

Ausrine and Vakarine, her daughters.

Dievs, who she courts.

Kalvaitis, who creates the sun anew (heh, that's a fun word) every day.

Alright! That's what I have right now. I hope that this was in some way helpful. Let me know if you have any questions; I'll try to answer to the best of my ability (and hopefully somewhat promptly, though I can't promise anything).

Oh! And if anyone has anything on Saule that's not here, please post a link/description below! I'm always looking for more information on her, and just about anything would be a really big help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:47:11 pm by Lana288 »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Resources on Saule
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:46:05 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;176605
Oh! And if anyone has anything on Saule that's not here, please post a link/description below! I'm always looking for more information on her, and just about anything would be a really big help. Thanks!

There's a section on Saule in the book Drawing Down the Sun: Rekindle the Magick of the Solar Goddesses, by Stephanie Woodfield (Llewellyn Publications, 2014).
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

yami0204

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:14 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;176605

The hardest part about finding stuff on Baltic mythology is trying to find it in English, honestly. I've been studying the history of Latvia in my spare time for many years, but finding good information in English is quite a challenge. Wikipedia is definitely a friend when looking up Baltic gods, even if it feels kind of wrong looking things up on it.

Anyway, I do have some things I can add!

Saule

The Sun, the Moon, and the Morning Star: An excerpt from the book "The Goddess Path:Myths, Invocations & Rituals," it details the myth of how the moon got the scars on his face.

The Blue Roebuck's entry on Saule: Just some succinct information about her.

Goddess Saules Mate: A nice article on Journeying to the Goddess about her.

Saule - Mother Protector: Another short, informative page about who she is.

Other Baltic Gods

Latvian Stuff's Deities page: Latvian Stuff has all kinds of resources for Latvia in general, but its page on deities does a good job of summarizing many of Latvia's deities.

Encyclopedia Mythica: This one is obvious, but it's a great resource!

Skyforger's Stories page: Skyforger is a Latvian pagan folk metal band, and they have an area of their website dedicated to explaining the mythology and history that is featured within their albums. It's a really nice resource, and their music is pretty awesome, too!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:31 pm »
Quote from: yami0204;177027
Wikipedia is definitely a friend when looking up Baltic gods, even if it feels kind of wrong looking things up on it.

It shouldn't, though (or not wronger than any encyclopedia). It's been a little while since I've linked to this excellent article by a professional librarian, that outlines in detail Wikipedia's strengths and weaknesses, and how to make good use of the former without being tripped up by the latter, so this is a handy opportunity to do so again.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:47:54 am »
The hardest part about finding stuff on Baltic mythology is trying to find it in English, honestly. I've been studying the history of Latvia in my spare time for many years, but finding good information in English is quite a challenge. Wikipedia is definitely a friend when looking up Baltic gods, even if it feels kind of wrong looking things up on it.

Lol! I know what you mean. I almost wish I could speak Lithuanian- it would make things so much easier when it came to research. :P

Anyway, I do have some things I can add!

Saule

The Sun, the Moon, and the Morning Star: An excerpt from the book "The Goddess Path:Myths, Invocations & Rituals," it details the myth of how the moon got the scars on his face.

The Blue Roebuck's entry on Saule: Just some succinct information about her.

Goddess Saules Mate: A nice article on Journeying to the Goddess about her.

Saule - Mother Protector: Another short, informative page about who she is.

Other Baltic Gods

Latvian Stuff's Deities page: Latvian Stuff has all kinds of resources for Latvia in general, but its page on deities does a good job of summarizing many of Latvia's deities.

Encyclopedia Mythica: This one is obvious, but it's a great resource!

Skyforger's Stories page: Skyforger is a Latvian pagan folk metal band, and they have an area of their website dedicated to explaining the mythology and history that is featured within their albums. It's a really nice resource, and their music is pretty awesome, too!

Quote from: Aster Breo;176678
There's a section on Saule in the book Drawing Down the Sun: Rekindle the Magick of the Solar Goddesses, by Stephanie Woodfield (Llewellyn Publications, 2014).

Thanks so much! I'm going to admit, though- I'm a little bit dubious of source no. 1- specifically, of Patricia Monaghan's interpretation of the myth. While it is true that Menuo and Ausrine had sex and (according to Wikipedia) had a son together, the dainas (if I remember correctly) never said anything about rape- just that he "walked with her" (eg, had sex) and that pissed off Perkunas, who then cut Menuo to pieces- specifically for Menuo's infidelity to Saule. Not for any other reason. Specifically for leaving Saule.

Of course it could be just a different version of the myth than I'm used to- but then there's Saule's portion. I've yet to see Saule portrayed as an Angry, Vengeful goddess, and her actions, as spoken about in the above source, seem highly out of character for her- particularly as it's Perkunas that's usually depicted as the vengeful god of justice and punishment. (To an almost insane level, tbh.)

I also want to point out that Ausrine and Vakarine were seperate goddesses, and Saule's horses were white or gold (I forget which), not brown. Really little details, of course, but they're really making me distrust the source. The author also appears to be combining the myths of Latvia AND Lithuania, which while similar are really *quite* different.

I'll come at this tomorrow, when I'm able to think properly. I'm just... I don't care if it's a "revisionment" of old myths- that's different- but I think it's important to specify that it IS a revisionist version. As it is, it seems like an attempt to recast Saule's myths to make her more Empowering to women, which I don't like. It's a discredit to the Goddess, and it spreads misinformation about the myths, which- as scarce as they are to find- really bubbles my tea.

Ergh. Tl;dr. Thanks so much for posting these! I'm so, so sorry that I decided to pick apart that particular source- it's just that the Baltic myths are particularly close to my heart, and I've invested a lot of effort into understanding the deities as they were (as much as is possible from my very USian perspective). The rest of your sources look amazing, btw,  and I can't wait to dig through them. :)

Quote from: SunflowerP;177063
It shouldn't, though (or not wronger than any encyclopedia). It's been a little while since I've linked to this excellent article by a professional librarian, that outlines in detail Wikipedia's strengths and weaknesses, and how to make good use of the former without being tripped up by the latter, so this is a handy opportunity to do so again.

Sunflower

I remember hearing about how lately Wikipedia has gotten much more trustworthy over the years, as they've started being more strict about sourcing things. I know I use it a lot now when researching things, and I've yet to find anything completely wrong.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:48:37 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;176678

Thanks! :)

Tags: