collapse

Author Topic: Wiccan ebooks?  (Read 4073 times)

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Wiccan ebooks?
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »
Are there any must reads for a solitary Wiccan that would be sold in ebook form? I know Raymond Buckland's works are sold for the kindle and I've heard good things about him. Are there any others I should know of?

I'm really still very ignorant on so many things and I am dying to learn more and maybe not be so ignorant. I want to be able to discuss things with people and not ask stupid questions or say stupid things.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Wiccan ebooks?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:36:56 pm »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176251

I'm really still very ignorant on so many things and I am dying to learn more and maybe not be so ignorant. I want to be able to discuss things with people and not ask stupid questions or say stupid things.

As I think yewberry said, you can't know what you don't know yet! No question is stupid. It's okay. :)

The board culture is very much "You have incorrect info? I will correct that for you so you don't have incorrect info anymore! And bonus: I care enough to do so!" Yes, learning on your own is something you *are* going to have to do, but being corrected or otherwise injected with knowledge here is just part of the culture and not commentary on your (or anyone else's) intelligence.

By the way, everybody says stupid stuff. I am the monarch of saying stupid stuff in "real life." If you didn't say anything stupid, I would actually worry about you and whether or not you were going to take over the world with your super brain powers.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;176253
As I think yewberry said, you can't know what you don't know yet! No question is stupid. It's okay. :)

The board culture is very much "You have incorrect info? I will correct that for you so you don't have incorrect info anymore! And bonus: I care enough to do so!" Yes, learning on your own is something you *are* going to have to do, but being corrected or otherwise injected with knowledge here is just part of the culture and not commentary on your (or anyone else's) intelligence.

By the way, everybody says stupid stuff. I am the monarch of saying stupid stuff in "real life." If you didn't say anything stupid, I would actually worry about you and whether or not you were going to take over the world with your super brain powers.

Thankyou. I feel so scared her sometimes. It's hard to convey tone over text and so I can't ever tell if people are upset with me or merely trying to help me. o~o

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 03:36:20 pm »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176257
Thankyou. I feel so scared her sometimes. It's hard to convey tone over text and so I can't ever tell if people are upset with me or merely trying to help me. o~o

In all seriousness, absolutely nobody here is going to have an issue with you not knowing something.  In fact, I'd see the fact you are aware that there's things you want to learn more about as being a very smart move on your part.

Not knowing something isn't stupid.  We all have things we don't know; in fact I can't recommend you ebooks on Wicca because it's something entirely out of my own area of knowledge!

The only thing that is stupid is someone who ignores any facts that don't fit their current views out of stubborness.  And you strike me as taking the opposite of that approach.

To add to HarpingHawke's excellent points on board culture, it's worth noting that this is a board that has a strong focus on debate.  As you may be finding, that can be a bit intimidating to people who aren't use to it.

But it's actually a good way of people finding out new information and strengthening their own opinions.  There's very few of us that haven't crossed swords with each other at some point!
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:42:00 pm »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176257
Thankyou. I feel so scared her sometimes.

I totally know how you feel; my first oh...year or so here I was terrified of everyone.

It's hard to convey tone over text and so I can't ever tell if people are upset with me or merely trying to help me. o~o

A good rule of thumb is that unless someone's specifically told you that they're upset, no matter how many caps they're using in their post, they're *probably* not upset. Opinions about ideas don't usually extend to opinions about people over here. Like Jabberwocky said, there are very few of us who haven't crossed swords at some point. :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:56:58 am »
Are there any must reads for a solitary Wiccan that would be sold in ebook form?

Luckily, lots of books are now available in ebook format, including classics.

Specifically on Amazon for Kindle:
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald Gardner
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
The Elements of Ritual by Deborah Lipp and her other works
The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan

I also enjoy Dorothy Morrison's magic:
The Craft - A Witch's Book of Shadows by Dorothy Morrison

Melusine Draco writes about Traditional Witchcraft, but her ebooks are cheap and quite good!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:31 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;176258
In all seriousness, absolutely nobody here is going to have an issue with you not knowing something.  In fact, I'd see the fact you are aware that there's things you want to learn more about as being a very smart move on your part.

I've been practicing for the better part of 2 decades and I still feel like I know nothing. :) Better to be honest about what you don't know than to pretend you know everything. ^^

I could probably give you a list of ebooks that are available for paganesque interests but it would be a lot quicker, and probably more tailored to you, if you do some moseying about on amazon.com. There are many that are inexpensive, or even free, and the perks of amazon is that you can read the reviews and the contents page before putting any money down. :)

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;176288
I've been practicing for the better part of 2 decades and I still feel like I know nothing. :) Better to be honest about what you don't know than to pretend you know everything. ^^

I could probably give you a list of ebooks that are available for paganesque interests but it would be a lot quicker, and probably more tailored to you, if you do some moseying about on amazon.com. There are many that are inexpensive, or even free, and the perks of amazon is that you can read the reviews and the contents page before putting any money down. :)

That would be awesome! Thankyou!

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 04:31:32 pm »
Quote from: Mellee;176277
Luckily, lots of books are now available in ebook format, including classics.

Specifically on Amazon for Kindle:
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald Gardner
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
The Elements of Ritual by Deborah Lipp and her other works
The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan

I also enjoy Dorothy Morrison's magic:
The Craft - A Witch's Book of Shadows by Dorothy Morrison

Melusine Draco writes about Traditional Witchcraft, but her ebooks are cheap and quite good!

Thankyou so much! <3

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
Are there any must reads for a solitary Wiccan that would be sold in ebook form? I know Raymond Buckland's works are sold for the kindle and I've heard good things about him. Are there any others I should know of?

It's far from having must-read content, but there's a facebook group called something like 'pagan ebooks for free' that you might peek in if you have fb - they post whatever's on Amazon's free deals for the day.  There's occasionally interesting stuff there.  (Also a lot of total crap.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Lauren

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:33 pm »

I just purchased Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin after hearing a positive review in the "books to avoid" thread, and it was money well spent. She goes into the basics of things like energy work, meditation, etc. before anything else, which is something I already find extremely helpful (if a little frustrating because I am an impatient woman, and these skills take time!) If you're looking for a book with a lot of spells and rituals, this one isn't for you, but I don't believe you'll get far in your ritual work if you don't build the strong foundation this book encourages!

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Quote from: Lauren;176391
I just purchased Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin after hearing a positive review in the "books to avoid" thread, and it was money well spent. She goes into the basics of things like energy work, meditation, etc. before anything else, which is something I already find extremely helpful (if a little frustrating because I am an impatient woman, and these skills take time!) If you're looking for a book with a lot of spells and rituals, this one isn't for you, but I don't believe you'll get far in your ritual work if you don't build the strong foundation this book encourages!

Thankyou. I'll look into that. Meditation is hard for me a lot of times so any help there would be nice. I guess learning about meditation and energy work and things like that before learning anything else is kind of like learning Katakana and Hiragana before you learn to speak Japanese. It helps you understand what you're learning more when you know the basics.

Tags: