collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Abortion and the Wiccan Rede???  (Read 10970 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Abortion and the Wiccan Rede???
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 02:01:30 pm »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176247
I'm trying to process all of this. I'll admit my understanding of things aren't the greatest. I need to read a lot more. So basically what your saying is that my understanding of the rede is flawed in that it is not broad enough and I'm only focusing on little bits and pieces? Or something entirely different? You're writing came off as confusing to me. Sorry.

Unfortunately, reading more isn't going to help, because a lot of people interpret the Rede in ways that aren't supported by the language - significantly because the thing was composed in archaic language that most people don't understand.  (If you don't know that "An" means "If", for example, the conditional nature of the sentence becomes completely invisible!)

The Rede is not broad, it's very narrow: it only addresses "if it harms none".  Which as other people have pointed out, is really hard to do if taken really strictly!

It might help if you looked at the Rede as some guidance for people who are coming out of restrictive situations.  Consider someone coming out of a conservative monotheist background, who's used to tons of rules about their food, their clothes, their relationships, based on what someone says.  They are trying to make decisions about whether it's okay to change what they eat, whether it's okay to dye their hair, whether it's okay to wear more revealing clothing, to wear more or less makeup, to fall in love with someone of the same sex, to play Dungeons and Dragons, to drink a beer out with friends....  The Rede is a reassurance that their choices to step out of the box can be okay.

"All this stuff is okay" doesn't say anything about the more complicated stuff that requires nuanced ethical and moral thought.  But it's still an important thing to say, because a lot of people are coming out of situations where they were told that these things aren't okay.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:25 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;176254
Let's see if a quick summary of common things people get confused about might help? Because you're right, it can be really confusing. (Many of these have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I hope laying it out like this might help.)

1) It's advice, not a law.

A lot of people are used to religious giving them laws they must follow: things you're supposed to do and not do. These are common in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and many other religions. (As well as all those religions also having guidance for things that aren't hard and fast rules.)

Wicca doesn't work like that: the shared things in traditional initiatory Wicca are shared practices and ritual experiences. While there are certainly some common ethical guidelines, they're much more "Hey, think about this thing and the implications" than "Don't do that."

Beyond that, two lines of text, written in a way that is grammatically unclear to a lot of people, is not the most helpful thing ever. (As others in the conversation have said, the grammatical construction is very clearly "If it does not cause harm, then..." and does not discuss what to do if it causes harm. You need other parts of your ethical code to deal with that.)

2) Even if you have rules, people interpret them differently.

You can see this with the question of abortion (or euthanasia, or the death penalty, or dozens of other situations) : there are people of good will of a number of different individual religions who come down on different sides of a given issue, and have good reasons for doing so.

3) Wicca, as a religion, has no single identifiable head.

In traditional initiatory Wicca, all initiates are responsible for their own religious choices: there may be a high priestess or high priest in a coven setting, but those roles should be much more about facilitating certain kinds of ritual experiences and training, not telling people what to do.

(There are of course abusive people out there, and also just people who don't realise they're pushing a particular thing heavily. But that's true of all religious groups.)

Anyway, this means that you basically can't get a standard Wiccan teaching on anything: at best you have general agreement about shared practices like lineage and initiations and shared material, but individual covens or people may make different choices. This may have consequences for them, but it's more "I don't agree with you and I'm going over here and doing this" than "there is one Wiccan law."

(About the only firm things I can think of that are pretty close to absolutes are some requirements around confidentiality and privacy, and even those have a fair number of variations.)

4) Back to the Rede: it has a known history, it was written (and then expanded in various ways) by specific people, for specific reasons.

Those reasons were to provide advice (and a framework for that advice) that they felt was useful and meaningful, but they're still just people. Use it if you find it useful. Don't if you don't. If you do want to identify as Wiccan, understanding the history and some of the different approaches is helpful in having better conversations with people, but you are going to want other things in your ethical code as well.

I have an essay on my website that lays out more of the background of Wiccan and related ethics approaches, and it includes a link to much more background. (I really need to rewrite and expand this, but am still in the post-move and new job mode that means it won't happen soon.)

That link also describes what's much more of my own approach (it's the cast-iron cauldron metaphor): that our choices add up over time, and make some kinds of choices and opportunities more accessible to us, and others less so, and it's our job to think through the implications of our choices on a variety of levels.

6) There are some other really good approaches out there. The one I like best is Robin Wood's book "When, Why... If" which looks at a variety of ethical core concepts, gives some examepls, and has some questions to think about at the end of each chapter.

But honestly, for building an ethical code, there's a lot of other good resources out there that aren't explicitly Wiccan or Pagan, but still very useful.

This has been extremely helpful! Thankyou! <3

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 01:35:18 pm »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176248
Maybe my question should have been "What exactly is the rede" because it seems like my understanding of it was flawed. I'm sorry. I'm still very new to all of this. I'm here to learn and I guess this is one way of learning; screwing up and having people set you back on track. c:

No need to be sorry; we were all newbies at some point. And, yes, being mistaken and having others set you back on track is indeed one way of learning - one of the most effective ones, IME; one learns a lot more from making mistakes and correcting them than from just getting something right immediately.

'What exactly is the Rede?' is an excellent question, and one that not many people ever think to ask. Here are some more threads on the Rede on the current forum and in our archive, that might enhance your understanding. And elseNet, as well as Jenett's essay and the extensive and well-researched site on Rede history that it links to, you might be interested in Judy Harrow's essay Exegesis on the Rede, and in the (now only available via the Wayback Machine) site The Wiccan Rede Project.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 05:02:04 am »
Quote from: ovjanelle;176248
Maybe my question should have been "What exactly is the rede" because it seems like my understanding of it was flawed. I'm sorry. I'm still very new to all of this. I'm here to learn and I guess this is one way of learning; screwing up and having people set you back on track. c:

Oh don't worry at all you're doing precisely what one needs to do in order to learn. With the vast amount of misinformation out there about Wicca it's difficult for anyone to wade through and not come across...

Basically the Rede is a phrase that was coined by Doreen Valiente, and was a later addition to the Craft. Now Wicca does have written traditions, laws, and guidelines of moralsðics, but since it's an orthopraxic tradition it's more defined by how one practises than what one believes, although much of its outer-court material has influenced neo-paganism and been adopted to shape peoples' beliefs.  In traditional Wicca it's advice and a loose moral code that reminds us to be mindful of our actions, however you'll find initiates that don't exactly use it, or agreement with other elements that aren't requirements....so there's no, "You can't be Wiccan if you don't believe in the summerlands," or, " Hey abortion violates the Rede!"
Semper Fidelis

~Fawn~

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 12:03:46 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;176215
There's also the parent to think of.  Is being pregnant harm to the mother?  Is becoming a parent harm?  It's not a simple question because it's not about ONE entity's rights.  At absolute minimum, it's about one person and one potential-person.

Any argument that does not take that into account is missing a large part of the question, IMO.

I agree with this very very much.

If it is going to cause the mother harm (physical, emotional, psychological ) I think it's worse to carry the fetus to term. The Goddess grants women the ability to create, but it goes so much farther than pregnancy. If giving birth would make it so that woman would lose her feminine desire to create; whether that be art, buisness, or another child that she could have cared for better at another time; I believe that would be doing a much greater disservice to divinity.

This is just my interpretation though.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:55 am »
Quote from: ~Fawn~;177829

The Goddess grants women the ability to create, but it goes so much farther than pregnancy. If giving birth would make it so that woman would lose her feminine desire to create; whether that be art, buisness, or another child that she could have cared for better at another time [...]

[bolding mine]

Would you mind explaining this a little bit more for me please? I'm just wondering if, in your opinion, the desire to create is a specifically feminine trait, or if it can be applied to other genders. I'm just not seeing how it's only able to be classified as a feminine thing. (I'm also not sure if that's what you're implying, either, and you know what they say about assuming!)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

~Fawn~

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:39 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;177832
[bolding mine]

Would you mind explaining this a little bit more for me please? I'm just wondering if, in your opinion, the desire to create is a specifically feminine trait, or if it can be applied to other genders. I'm just not seeing how it's only able to be classified as a feminine thing. (I'm also not sure if that's what you're implying, either, and you know what they say about assuming!)

I believe there is a specific call to women to create. Not that men can't, shouldn't, or aren't also amazing creators. I believe that women are called to create and we're tricked into thinking "create" means bear a child.

I believe creating is done with feminine energy, but both genders have both energies. Feminine energy is curved and fluid, masculine energy is straight and directed. Though males can have more feminine energy than masculine energy and females can have more masculine than feminine.

I don't know if any of what I said makes sense. I tried my best.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:01 am »
Quote from: ~Fawn~;177837
I believe there is a specific call to women to create. Not that men can't, shouldn't, or aren't also amazing creators. I believe that women are called to create and we're tricked into thinking "create" means bear a child.

I believe creating is done with feminine energy, but both genders have both energies. Feminine energy is curved and fluid, masculine energy is straight and directed. Though males can have more feminine energy than masculine energy and females can have more masculine than feminine.

I'm interested in where you think this call to create comes from? Also if men are not called primarily to create what do you think they are primarily called to do?

My conception of energy is that it doesn't have a shape or a purpose until one gives it one, so can be used and shaped in many different ways.

Also how does this work for people who do not identify as either male or female?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 11:54:27 am »

I think the problem here is the idea of rigid gender polarity itself, as it can and often has led to gender essentialism and the erasure of alternate gender and sexualities.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:52 pm »

I've got a lot of issues with this post, but what jumps out at me most of all is the idea that people are "tricked" into having children.

As a parent who wanted my child very much, who's gone through heartbreak after heartbreak of NOT being able to carry to term because I WANTED more children, this is ... really offensive.  I'm hoping it's a miscommunication.

Both because the idea that some kind of feminine creation energy tricked me into having my child is offensive, AND the idea that children-in-general = stupid people getting tricked is offensive.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 03:18:41 am »
Feminine energy is curved and fluid, masculine energy is straight and directed.

My masculine energy curves slightly to the left.  Probably a natural counterbalance to my politics.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:12 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;177862
I've got a lot of issues with this post, but what jumps out at me most of all is the idea that people are "tricked" into having children.

I wonder if she means that women are tricked into thinking that  the only way they can create (or fulfill their "purpose") is to have children.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 11:40:37 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177868
I wonder if she means that women are tricked into thinking that  the only way they can create (or fulfill their "purpose") is to have children.

That was how I read it, though perhaps "'create' only means bear a child," would have been clearer.

I do also work with a male-female polarity and so I think I understand where Fawn is coming from regarding 'feminine energy' vs. 'masculine energy,' though for myself I think of the terms as a shorthand for 'energy that I perceive as feminine or masculine because its properties mostly align with qualities that my culture assigns to that gender.' But these may be thoughts for a new thread.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

~Fawn~

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:47 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;177839
I'm interested in where you think this call to create comes from? Also if men are not called primarily to create what do you think they are primarily called to do?

My conception of energy is that it doesn't have a shape or a purpose until one gives it one, so can be used and shaped in many different ways.

Also how does this work for people who do not identify as either male or female?

I believe it comes from the uterus. Women cycle and phase like the moon.
We form, we shed, we bleed, we start anew.
I believe this connects us to the creative energy of the Goddess.
(I mean, SOMETHING good has to come from bleeding and cramping for just about 1/4 of your life, right? ;) )

I haven't done much reading on male energy as it isn't something that resonates with me as much, however what I have read suggests that masculine energy is a "do-er" more than a "creater-er".

There are many women who hold a more masculine energy and many men who hold a more feminine. (These are not homosexuals. Sexuality and masculine/feminine energies have nothing to do with one another) A person who is gender-fluid or a-gender I assume would probably be the closest to a perfect balance.

~Fawn~

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:26 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;177862

As a parent who wanted my child very much, who's gone through heartbreak after heartbreak of NOT being able to carry to term because I WANTED more children, this is ... really offensive.  I'm hoping it's a miscommunication.

Both because the idea that some kind of feminine creation energy tricked me into having my child is offensive, AND the idea that children-in-general = stupid people getting tricked is offensive.

Perhaps you are taking it in a way that is a little too sensitive and personal.
It was not an attack on parents or mothers, as that is the right path for some.
Surely many people (such as yourself) want, love, and need children deep in their hearts.

However, on the flip side, there are many women who are told it is their duty to produce more humans. To not do so is going against nature. If they do not want to they must be a "broken" woman.

Hormones, mixed with societal pressure, mixed with women being told that child-rearing is the ONLY way to feel complete creates a lot of unhappy mothers.

Often times women feel the need to create something and society convinces them that something must be a baby.

Phyllis Curott explains it much better than I do, however I'm having a hard time finding the quote.

Tags: