Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: What if everything in the bible was true?  (Read 3629 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What if everything in the bible was true?
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:40:35 am »
Okay with regards to poking fun at biblical literalism that you get in the fundamentalist Christian culture (particularly in America), let's say for example, that all the stories from the past mentioned in the bible were true. Meaning that instead of the 200+ years of evolutionary research that scientists have found on the earth's evolution and the evolution of the human race and other animals, etc were actually reversed. Meaning that all the scientific evidence in the beginning confirmed the existence of a 40 plus day flood that killed almost everything on earth, human evolution really did start with a man and woman being created from dust and bones, and apparently did not start out as babies but teenagers and/or young adults that quickly learned how to take care of themselves, sin, and procreate, etc. And supposedly what if no fossils or rocks found could predate a 6,000 or 10,000 year date? The list can go on and on (not to mention, even the creation story contradict itself) How do you think we would be living today? Do you think we would've be able to discover the planets and galaxies outside of earth?

I know you can also question other mythology but since there's always an evolution vs. creationism debate going on with America, especially in the deep south of what to teach students in school, I was kind of curious to imagine how the world be like if what is said in the bible as far as it's history and future predictions were true or became true??? Any thoughts.
PrincessKLS

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What if everything in the bible was true?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:57 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;176019
I know you can also question other mythology but since there's always an evolution vs. creationism debate going on with America, especially in the deep south of what to teach students in school, I was kind of curious to imagine how the world be like if what is said in the bible as far as it's history and future predictions were true or became true??? Any thoughts.

I don't know what the rest of the world would look like though probably much more pristine since there wouldn't be any humans - unless someone can explain how two people populated the planet sans horrible genetic mutations.

That's the problem with a 'what if' game based on this (or on any mythology and many stories). The assumptions one has to make to even get started sink it before one can begin.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:41:57 am by carillion »

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:06:57 am »
Do you think we would've been able to discover the planets and galaxies outside of earth?

Well, in one instance in the Bible, God stopped the sun so that a day went on for longer than...ermm...a (technical) day.

What would the veracity of that Biblical event mean for contemptibly godless astrophysics? Would this divine force have halted the rotation of the earth, and be perceived by the writers of holy scripture as stopping the sun in the sky...or would the earth be flat and the sun rotate around it, and by holy grace save the scribes from the libelous sin of expressing any personal perspective?

If God wills us to "Go forth and terraform thine Promised Planet" then we would probably manage to explore planets and galaxies, whether by the instruction of a divine download of technological knowledge (like with Noah's ark) or being dragged there by angelic intervention.

How do you think we would be living today?

The same way we already do, except that scientists, atheists, feminists, pagans, and probably Jews and Muslims and Christians Who Don't Really Get It By Some Seemingly Arbitrary Margin That Can Be Easily Intuited By True Christians would be under the thrall of a divine adversary and would all be headed for an inevitable defeat and doom that is also somehow all our own fault.

The Christian mythology wasn't written in a vacuum. Of course by now there would be ways to explain away non-believers and incompatible facts (or, if the Bible were true or became true, incompatible "facts",) to sustain belief and confirmation bias.

As long as we cultivate confirmation bias especially, then within every particle of society that serves as a cultural foothold of this mythology, the Bible would already be as good as true. Whether the political dominion would have greater expanse (by the grace and power of God) or a smaller one (to test believers who continue to live in a sinful world, because world=sin as a given, or because Satan) you see how those who believe no explanation is necessary--and for those who do not believe, no real explanation is sufficient.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 04:38:54 am »
Hmmm, I guess all of this is a very hard concept to grasp but I was thinking a lot of the stories and ideologies taught in the bible (both testaments) defy what we know as modern and good science, and even common sense. As for the question of would two people reproducing to populate the earth again. As well as the two sons taking wives to do so as well, in good scientific terms would leave a long generation of inbred and congenital disorder that would've made our species die out but since the bible doesn't exactly follow logical sciences, let's just say that all the Noah inbreding that also came off of the inbreding of Adam and Eve as well, didn't actually produce severely disabled people in the beginning, and all the bible stories were able to led up to what we know as 2015 A.D. would we as a world be different?
PrincessKLS

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:03:28 am »
Okay with regards to poking fun at biblical literalism that you get in the fundamentalist Christian culture (particularly in America), let's say for example, that all the stories from the past mentioned in the bible were true.

If all the stories the the Bible were true, the world as we know it would not exist: For example, plants with seeds smaller than the the Bible-declared "smallest seed" (the mustard seed) would not exist.

The world would also be a very strange place as contradictory things would be true as there are cases where the Bible states completely different and contradictory things (about "X") to be both true.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:46:27 am »
Quote from: carillion;176023
I don't know what the rest of the world would look like though probably much more pristine since there wouldn't be any humans - unless someone can explain how two people populated the planet sans horrible genetic mutations.

By starting without dangerous genes in the first place. The risks in inbreeding aren't in inbreeding itself, but in the fact that the risks of having any dangerous or just not helpful genes show up amplified. If the two parents you're starting from don't have any, or the ones they have aren't a problem in the environment you're in, you don't have a problem.

(Of course, there is the possibility for mutuations occurring spontanteously over time, but by that point, you should have a sufficiently diversified population that that's less of an issue.)

One of the challenges in genetics, as I understand it, is also the part where some genes are protective if you have one, but lethal if you have two.

I'm most familiar with Tay Sachs here: I happen to know I'm not a carrier, because other people in my family are and we did the testing, but it's thought carrying one gene for it provides some protection against tuberculosis, but getting two genes for it is definitely fatal within the first couple of years of life. And yet, even in populations where it's fairly wide spread and where the population pool was pretty closed for a long time, the population as a whole continues.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;176035
If all the stories the the Bible were true, the world as we know it would not exist: For example, plants with seeds smaller than the the Bible-declared "smallest seed" (the mustard seed) would not exist.

We would live on a flat disc under a giant blue bowl with portals in it to let the weather in.  I'm not sure I can begin to speculate on what a hypothetical world would look like if we basically lived inside a bubble.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:09:30 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;176030

A Reminder:
Hi PrincessKLS,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

(Also, I'm moving this thread to 'Philosophy and Metaphysics', since it's a speculative philosophical ['what if...'] discussion, and not about gods, godesses, or even very much mythology.)

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 08:19:01 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;176045
We would live on a flat disc under a giant blue bowl with portals in it to let the weather in.  I'm not sure I can begin to speculate on what a hypothetical world would look like if we basically lived inside a bubble.

I wonder if Ancient Astronaut theories would still exist? I mean, sometimes people love to point to the flaming wheels of fire as evidence of Ancient Astronauts or would everyone accept that they are angels from god or would angels actually be the aliens?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 10:41:47 am »

I'd spend a lot less time ticked off at pseudoscience.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »
let's say for example, that all the stories from the past mentioned in the bible were true.

Including the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! -- Ned Flanders.

Links: Slacktivist on the two creation stories and the Synoptic Problem.

The idea that God created the world 6,000 years ago with fossils, geological history, radioactive isotope ratios and distant starlight already in place, is known formally as Ophthalmos and informally as Last Thursdayism. It also kind of implies that the JCI God is a huge liar.

I know you can also question other mythology but since there's always an evolution vs. creationism debate going on with America, especially in the deep south of what to teach students in school,

Note that this debate is not occurring among scientists, and the 'debate' is more a political wrangle than anything else.

The places to go for information on this are AnswersInGenesis.org (the most sensible of the creationists) and Talkorigins.org (the evolution/science advocates).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:27:39 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;176106

The idea that God created the world 6,000 years ago with fossils, geological history, radioactive isotope ratios and distant starlight already in place, is known formally as Ophthalmos and informally as Last Thursdayism. It also kind of implies that the JCI God is a huge liar.

Note that this debate is not occurring among scientists, and the 'debate' is more a political wrangle than anything else.

The places to go for information on this are AnswersInGenesis.org (the most sensible of the creationists) and Talkorigins.org (the evolution/science advocates).

Yeah I do remember reading the first bit of genesis before and realizing that it kind of hinted at other gods, religions, cultures, etc. For example, I believe it was Cain that found his wife in a far away land and not in Eden. I know a lot of biblical literalist and fundamental Christians would say that Cain obvious married one of his many "unnamed" sister but hypothetically, this could have been about maybe the first family of Mesopotamia and one of their sons found a wife in another land. I've often wonder that about the creation story of the first man and woman, (first family), since supposedly the Garden of Eden is set in the ancient fertile cresent of the Middle East. Of course, their names weren't really Adam, Eve, etc. Also I don't recall the bible saying Eve had many sons and daughters, maybe there's a reason why only 3 sons were named.
PrincessKLS

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 12:14:59 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;176106

The essay about the Synoptic problem, to my understanding: the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are different in some details and fundamentalist Christians are anxious about that (because true details don't change, and all four should be completely true. But that they're different from one another means that something changed. Horrors!)

However, the essayist says that it's not a problem but an opportunity to appreciate the themes that each book wanted to emphasize, and did so through the change in details.

But for somebody for whom the canon text is literal truth, this isn't supposed to be folklore with different versions and gritty reboots. It's more like the testimonies in Rashomon where they have to figure out what to arrest who for, and if they can't figure it out because of contradicting testimonies then society will fall apart because there is no truth or faith.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
What if everything in the bible was true?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:02:37 am »
Quote from: Faemon;176610
But for somebody for whom the canon text is literal truth, this isn't supposed to be folklore with different versions and gritty reboots. It's more like the testimonies in Rashomon where they have to figure out what to arrest who for, and if they can't figure it out because of contradicting testimonies then society will fall apart because there is no truth or faith.

But if you're not a literalist, it's a fascinating insight into the development of the early church over the first 100 years after Jesus. I'm an early church geek! It's totally fascinating how Jesus is a quiet, secret messiah in Mark, and by the time John rolls around he's God. Amazing sociology of the early stages of a religion.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:34 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;176612
But if you're not a literalist, it's a fascinating insight into the development of the early church over the first 100 years after Jesus. I'm an early church geek! It's totally fascinating how Jesus is a quiet, secret messiah in Mark, and by the time John rolls around he's God. Amazing sociology of the early stages of a religion.

Luke!Jesus is my favorite.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tags: