Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Weather Magic  (Read 3897 times)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Weather Magic
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
Does anyone have a source of weather magic lore? I've poked around online, but a lot of what I've found is either fantasy crap or looks to have been copied from a book.

I'm mainly curious about weather folk magic practices.

Karen

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;175969
Does anyone have a source of weather magic lore? I've poked around online, but a lot of what I've found is either fantasy crap or looks to have been copied from a book.

Karen

When you say weather magic/lore, do you mean the practices of manipulating weather? Or the lore, sayings, poems, and methods of folk prediction regarding the weather?

OctoberCross

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://the-crossroads.info
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:45:48 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;175971
When you say weather magic/lore, do you mean the practices of manipulating weather? Or the lore, sayings, poems, and methods of folk prediction regarding the weather?

I second this - I practice weather magic, but it's solely based on family practices and self-teaching for specific circumstances - so I could talk about what I experience.

Although I would also like to see others' experiences as well as recorded methods.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:46:38 pm by OctoberCross »
If I wake in the morning I only need two more miracles to be a saint.

Choosing the Crossroads

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 06:27:29 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;175971

I'm just going to toss these book links up here, in case they're something like what you're interested in:

Weather Wisdom by Albert Lee
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Wisdom-Facts-Folklore-Forecasting/dp/0865532125/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971078&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+wisdom

Weather Lore by Inwards
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-lore-collection-proverbs-concerning/dp/B00XNVBXEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971089&sr=8-2&keywords=weather+lore

Weather Witchery by Rasbold
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Witchery-Katrina-Rasbold-ebook/dp/B00PRETFWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971220&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+magic

Weather or Not  by Rasbold
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Not-Books-About-Timing-ebook/dp/B00RY7NBR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433971267&sr=1-2&keywords=weather+magic

The first two I've read and got a fair bit out of, they talk about the science behind the sayings of weather prediction. So tying scientific awareness with old folk wisdom and putting some legitimacy to the sayings.

The second two I own but haven't gotten around to reading yet. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:28:00 pm by Laveth »

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »

Karen

In my view, there are two possibilities.
1/Mental magick, when you rely on your own mind only. Something about is in Golden Bough by James George Frazer. Or Mind Power: The Secret of Mental Magic, by William Walker Atkinson. Is free on net.
2/Evocation a higer spirits affecting the weather. Like harpy from Greek mythology (Aello and so on) and many others.

catonmyshirt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 02:25:30 pm »

Karen
This is going to sound kinda cheesy, but there's a user on tumblr called StormBornWitch (I'm 99% sure that's it). I see her post a lot of weather spells. Maybe check that out?

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:07:36 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;175974
I'm just going to toss these book links up here, in case they're something like what you're interested in:

Weather Wisdom by Albert Lee
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Wisdom-Facts-Folklore-Forecasting/dp/0865532125/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971078&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+wisdom

Weather Lore by Inwards
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-lore-collection-proverbs-concerning/dp/B00XNVBXEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971089&sr=8-2&keywords=weather+lore

Weather Witchery by Rasbold
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Witchery-Katrina-Rasbold-ebook/dp/B00PRETFWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433971220&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+magic

Weather or Not  by Rasbold
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Not-Books-About-Timing-ebook/dp/B00RY7NBR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433971267&sr=1-2&keywords=weather+magic

The first two I've read and got a fair bit out of, they talk about the science behind the sayings of weather prediction. So tying scientific awareness with old folk wisdom and putting some legitimacy to the sayings.

The second two I own but haven't gotten around to reading yet. :)

These look interesting!

Lol weather magick tends to do me, rather than the other way around. I'm a triple water sign (sun/moon/rising) and just my calling Water in an outdoor ritual (my group NEVER allows me to do that anymore) can bring on rain.

I've found that weather tends to be affected by my bad moods also, and it's taken years to learn how to NOT do that. I'm still learning that one. I remember one night we were having a major electrical storm, lightning right over the house (and I was in the middle of a divorce, plus a second relationship breakup, plus other challenges) and my roommate, also a witch, shook me and said, "stop doing that!" I put a clamp on my emotional outburst and the storm quieted in minutes.

On the fun side, there's nothing so gratifying as calling air outdoors and having a sudden breeze whoosh through the trees around me.

Coincidence? Am I making too much of my abilities? Maybe. But when things tend to happen on a regular basis...

Anyway, I try to avoid doing weather magick except in the most dire circumstances. Weather is a big system and I don't want to upset the balance without concerned thought. When hurricanes threaten (we've been lucky here in Orlando recently, but there've been some bad ones) I try to focus on protection more than moving the weather, because the last thing I want to do is create more trouble elsewhere.

Fun story (sorta) we had a house fire on Halloween night 2010. The fire took out the house (a trailer actually - we were on new land and hadn't gotten to building the house itself yet) and all our material possessions. (Which sucked, as you can imagine, but no people/critters were harmed.) However this was in a dry season in CO, and could have sparked numerous acres of damage plus danger to our animals (we were raising yaks, plus we had dogs/cats, plus there were rabbits, deer, elk, coyote, mountain lions, bobcat, bear and other critters nearby). Suddenly this vortex of swirling winds came up, forcing the fire to remain contained. Then the first snow of the year started, and helped damp the fire.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Tags: