Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Other: Thinking of making a Youtube channel  (Read 3043 times)

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Thinking of making a Youtube channel
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:02:40 pm »
It's a weird thought, considering that I'm almost cripplingly self-conscious, especially when it comes to how I sound, but it kind of looks like fun and a good way to network. I've thought about writing a blog or something, just to share my brilliant insights with the world (just kidding, I wish I had brilliant insights), or at least express my thoughts on certain subjects and start a dialogue in an accessible way. Writing seems like a chore, as does reading, but watching videos is something anyone can do.

I'm just worried partly about anonymity, as I'm not really "out," considering I take part in certain Christian communities. Also, people on the internet are just really mean, and I don't know if I could handle it if someone commented telling me I was ugly and stupid and should burn in hell.

It does sound like fun though, and it would be a change of pace from videos by neo-pagans about their gem stone collections or how much they love/hate Silver Ravenwolf. I guess we'll see if I ever feel inspired enough to actually record a few videos and then post them. Does anyone around here have any experience with this kind of thing?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:10:35 pm by RandallS »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Thinking of making a Youtube channel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:13:27 am »
Quote from: Demophon;175953
It's a weird thought, considering that I'm almost cripplingly self-conscious, especially when it comes to how I sound, but it kind of looks like fun and a good way to network. I've thought about writing a blog or something, just to share my brilliant insights with the world (just kidding, I wish I had brilliant insights), or at least express my thoughts on certain subjects and start a dialogue in an accessible way. Writing seems like a chore, as does reading, but watching videos is something anyone can do.

I'm just worried partly about anonymity, as I'm not really "out," considering I take part in certain Christian communities. Also, people on the internet are just really mean, and I don't know if I could handle it if someone commented telling me I was ugly and stupid and should burn in hell.

It does sound like fun though, and it would be a change of pace from videos by neo-pagans about their gem stone collections or how much they love/hate Silver Ravenwolf. I guess we'll see if I ever feel inspired enough to actually record a few videos and then post them. Does anyone around here have any experience with this kind of thing?

Well. I wouldn't do it if you don't have a thick skin, to be honest. YouTube comments are pretty much the worst example of humanity possible, and I can promise someone will say you're going to hell, someone will call you stupid, and if you're female someone will tell you that you're a fat ugly bitch.

Now, the nice thing is that these people don't really matter in the grand scheme of the universe. So if you can honestly keep that in mind? I say go for it, because why let the assholes of the universe dictate video content, you know? You need to achieve the zen of being loathed - once you do that, you're untouchable.

If you wanted to dip a toe in without revealing yourself entirely, you could always experiment with podcasting or audio-only youtube videos. That way it's just your voice and not your face on display.

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:56:04 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;175954
Well. I wouldn't do it if you don't have a thick skin, to be honest. YouTube comments are pretty much the worst example of humanity possible, and I can promise someone will say you're going to hell, someone will call you stupid, and if you're female someone will tell you that you're a fat ugly bitch.

Now, the nice thing is that these people don't really matter in the grand scheme of the universe. So if you can honestly keep that in mind? I say go for it, because why let the assholes of the universe dictate video content, you know? You need to achieve the zen of being loathed - once you do that, you're untouchable.

If you wanted to dip a toe in without revealing yourself entirely, you could always experiment with podcasting or audio-only youtube videos. That way it's just your voice and not your face on display.

Youtube comments (and other social media/comment sections) are also the best place to find an expert opinion on things like politics, law enforcement and military operation, etc ;)

Anyways, if  you are going to do actual videos, one thing you could do is disable comments, and thus the jackwagons too. Or set it to where you approve comments. Although you will still see the comments, but you get to choose which ones show up in the section. Disabling comments may be better.

Or indeed you could just narrate and have some sort of slideshow or something going on otherwise. Show pictures of what you're talking about specifically, or maybe just have some generic slideshow/video related to Paganism in general, like maybe nature pictures or videos.

I would check out your channel if you do it :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:58:57 pm by Seax_Blade »

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:30:33 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;175954

I'd agree with that.  YouTube is notorious for having terrible commentators.

Look at Vimeo instead.  The community there is generally much nicer.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:29:08 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;175984
I'd agree with that.  YouTube is notorious for having terrible commentators.

Look at Vimeo instead.  The community there is generally much nicer.
I podcasted for a while, when I had more time. That was great, as you don't have to get comments if you don't want to. I garnered a little audience and had fun. When I have more time, I'll make more episodes!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Lauren

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;175953

I have a youtube channel (with only 3 videos so far, but hey), and I think I like it a lot better than traditional blogging because it's easier to get my ideas out in a comprehensible way. When I write things out it takes much longer because I sit and fiddle with the wording, etc. before i finally press the publish button! ;)

If you are worried about people finding your videos, you could definitely just do audio and have a slideshow. I don't know of any youtubers who do that, so it would definitely be different!

And to echo what others have said: Youtube comments are a cesspool. You can disable them, but then you lose the conversation. I think the best way would be, if you decide to do youtube, is to decide whether that's worth it, to screen comments, or perhaps to set up an alternate way for people to discuss questions you raised.

Tags: