collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Is this alright?  (Read 1369 times)

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Is this alright?
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
Hello, I'm new to Paganism; I am starting in Asatru, but I was wondering if it is alright to "mix" with some Celtic Paganism as well? I'll be more specific. Yesterday I was thinking about what I could do for offerings, and I thought--I play the Irish Pennywhistle, and Uilleann Pipes (and some guitar)--I could offer some music maybe. Others have said  that that seems like a good offering in the first place, but I also thought that, well, they ARE Irish instruments, would it be better to offer such music to Celtic (specifically Irish/Gaelic) gods/goddesses, at least maybe one or two specific ones for music/artistic things?

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Is this alright?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:40:48 pm »
Quote from: Seax_Blade;175932
Hello, I'm new to Paganism; I am starting in Asatru, but I was wondering if it is alright to "mix" with some Celtic Paganism as well? I'll be more specific. Yesterday I was thinking about what I could do for offerings, and I thought--I play the Irish Pennywhistle, and Uilleann Pipes (and some guitar)--I could offer some music maybe. Others have said  that that seems like a good offering in the first place, but I also thought that, well, they ARE Irish instruments, would it be better to offer such music to Celtic (specifically Irish/Gaelic) gods/goddesses, at least maybe one or two specific ones for music/artistic things?

I've definitely heard of various pagans mixing Celtic and Norse traditions and following those pantheons of deities. As far as music offerings, I could see that being given to Lugh, Brighid, the Dagda, and so on, if you're wanting to focus on the Tuatha de Danann.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

I'm not Asatru, so I won't speak for them, but there is a lot of mixing of Nordic and Celtic culture in the British Isles and Ireland. Lots of Viking invasions and settlements. As to Irish gods who might appreciate music - I think that any of the gods would appreciate offerings of music (musicians and poets in Irish culture could command the same honor-price as kings and lesser lords). You might consider the Dagda, whose harp puts the seasons into order.

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:11:41 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175937
I've definitely heard of various pagans mixing Celtic and Norse traditions and following those pantheons of deities. As far as music offerings, I could see that being given to Lugh, Brighid, the Dagda, and so on, if you're wanting to focus on the Tuatha de Danann.

Quote from: MattyG;176118
I'm not Asatru, so I won't speak for them, but there is a lot of mixing of Nordic and Celtic culture in the British Isles and Ireland. Lots of Viking invasions and settlements. As to Irish gods who might appreciate music - I think that any of the gods would appreciate offerings of music (musicians and poets in Irish culture could command the same honor-price as kings and lesser lords). You might consider the Dagda, whose harp puts the seasons into order.

I appreciate the feedback. I have started to honor Brigid as it is, along with the Norse. I will look into the Dagda of course though. Thank you for the feedback both of you!

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:03:50 pm »
Hello, I'm new to Paganism; I am starting in Asatru, but I was wondering if it is alright to "mix" with some Celtic Paganism as well?

A book that may help your research is "Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe" by H.R. Ellis Davidson. It is a comparison of Scandinavian and Germanic pre-Christian religion with the Celts. I started reading the book, but had to put it down when last semester got insane. I found the book on the ADF reading list and ordered it off amazon along with my textbooks. The sacrifices described in the book are all living creatures. From what little I know of these cultures poetry is highly prized.  

Another book that I found nearly by accident is "The Traditions of Household Spirits" by Claude Lecouteux. This book focuses on common practices of the people from the Middle Ages in Scandinavian, Germanic, and Celtic cultures. What I find useful are all the laws that forbid the people from practicing certain customs because these were remnants of pagan folk belief. I do need to reread this book because I read it before last semester and the knowledge got erased from my brain.

Last semester was the worst one I ever had since my first year of college. I've gone back to reading Fairy Tales with a security blanket.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:32:15 am »

Bragi is the god of music and poetry in the Norse pantheon. He is usually depicted holding a harp. The Aesir and Vanir like merriment and feasts, which music is always a big part of.

Tags: