Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: How do you communicate with the Gods?  (Read 2725 times)

aerandir1066

• View Profile
How do you communicate with the Gods?
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:41 pm »
Hi, I'm a Polytheistic pagan/Druid and have recently started out with communicating with Deities. I'd like to know how others go about this, and some guidelines for my practice.

How do you speak to the Gods? Is ritual needed? Do you do it in a specific place?

How do you know you are getting through with your communication? Finally, what is the response like?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you communicate with the Gods?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:46:50 am »
Quote from: aerandir1066;175894
Hi, I'm a Polytheistic pagan/Druid and have recently started out with communicating with Deities. I'd like to know how others go about this, and some guidelines for my practice.

How do you speak to the Gods? Is ritual needed? Do you do it in a specific place?

How do you know you are getting through with your communication? Finally, what is the response like?

Here's a wall of text I wrote about it. No ritual needed, no specific place, although if either of those help with more regularly getting to the mindset where They come in, then I understand how that could work.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

aerandir1066

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:49:02 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;175897
Here's a wall of text I wrote about it. No ritual needed, no specific place, although if either of those help with more regularly getting to the mindset where They come in, then I understand how that could work.

Thanks, interesting!

So for you, the Gods are these qualities? and the qualities themselves are based in physical things?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:56:00 pm »
Quote from: aerandir1066;175912
So for you, the Gods are these qualities? and the qualities themselves are based in physical things?

There might be a difference between the God and the expression of, but as far as I as a perceiver can be concerned, yes. The qualities can be anchored in physical things, but the qualities also have different constraints than the physical (if they have any constraints at all.) So, I have received disembodied messages.

It's sort of like, you are you, but my knowledge of you only goes by your username, your avatar, and the tone of voice that I project onto the text you post even though it's just text and doesn't have a tone of voice.

Sometimes I get people in online discussions tell me to relax because my run-on sentences convey a frenetic personality, except I am relaxed because I feel too comfortable to bother with punctuation. I try to keep that in mind when I attribute a quality of "frenetic" or "hostile" or "playful" to somebody's posts. But I do believe that most users on this forum or other forum actually exist, and each are one person instead of a conglomerate of people or a pre-programmed chatbot, and express some essential personality in ways that get through to me.

I still have no firm opinion about how well corporeal people can sense each other's spirits when both occupy shared physical spaces, but I'll throw in a similarity of knowing that somebody is thinking about you, or specifically what a specific who thinks about you. Those qualities may be anchored to a physical person and an event, but the qualities themselves have their own rules of when and how they are conveyed. Sometimes, they're psychological projections and associations that are products of the physical; other times, they happen to people who know each other really well, so they're more accurate than solipsism mistaken for interaction. Rarely does it get paranormally eerie in the sort of starcrossed-lovers-separated-for-lifetimes-and-subconsciously-anticipate-the-reunion-that-actually-happens-and-they-both-agree-to-theirs-being-the-greatest-love-story-ever-told-in-exactly-this-way-to-tell-it sense...which I believe can happen, but I've only encountered intense wishes that such a thing would happen.

When it comes to deities, Yahweh is the golden cloud's username, the crucifix is one avatar, and the communication is the text post (the holy scriptures are another avatar). Qualities are all of them, but there's probably a difference between the subjective experience of the being of God, and expressions of.

Maybe my intuitions misread the metaphorical/metaphysical text post, such as experiencing the presence of qualities in church as transmitting the message of "I will f***ing cut you" instead of "welcome" (like, everybody else in the congregation received the latter message), but the best way I've read it described is "a thought that originates externally."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:02:59 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »

I suppose the easy response is via trance or meditation. I usually only meditate in a safe place (a specific room or outdoors where I'm unlikely to be disturbed). Moreso because it's easier to feel comfortable in those places, and I'm less likely to be "brought out of" the experience by a passing conversationalist or some other distracting factor.

When I can make contact (and it's rarely on my terms, usually it's if and when they're nudging me to make contact because they want to) there's usually a kind of energy presence. Either in my intuition (just knowing they're there), or sometimes there's a kind of shift in the local atmosphere of the room/space.

I guess I've never connected to ask a question. Only to respond to their nudgings (unless I really need to just feel the connection is there during some form of crisis). So there's no real "response?" Sometimes they send me a message, but it's usually in images rather than words and can sometimes take a bit to translate into normal words even if my mind gets it.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:36 am »

Obviously it's going to be different for everyone, but I chatter at my deities and hope I don't annoy the crap out of them. Generally, I do a bit of astral work, and that's where most of the communication happens.

As for message reception, you don't always know. Sometimes you have to go on faith.

Personally, I wouldn't say that there is any way any of us could help you with guidelines, because the way one communicates (or doesn't) with deities is such a personal thing. But I was wondering if maybe you could expand on what you're hoping to get out of this in the way of guidelines, because I might be misreading this.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:13 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;176097
Obviously it's going to be different for everyone, but I chatter at my deities and hope I don't annoy the crap out of them. Generally, I do a bit of astral work, and that's where most of the communication happens.

As for message reception, you don't always know. Sometimes you have to go on faith.

Personally, I wouldn't say that there is any way any of us could help you with guidelines, because the way one communicates (or doesn't) with deities is such a personal thing. But I was wondering if maybe you could expand on what you're hoping to get out of this in the way of guidelines, because I might be misreading this.
This is what I do as well. With my Gods, I just say or think Their names and start talking. But I'm really informal. Lots of times, it's just chatting over coffee.
I'm only just recently getting my godphone back in service after a long fallow period, but even during the silence, I knew They heard me. I watched for signs, I did tarot and runes, etc. Meditation is a great tool for communication, too.

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 11:50:14 am »

I often pray when i have problems. I don't mean the christian sort of prayer i mean a sort of meditation with words or intent.
I also tend to have some communication with  Cernunnos when i walk in the woods which i love to do it's so relaxing.

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:36:31 am »

I'm a beginner myself. So far I've found that it comes down to you personally. I am drawn to music, writing, and philosophy/wisdom for instance so I pray and offer to gods/goddesses (Odin, Freya, Bragi, and now Brigid) who are patrons of these sorts of things, or otherwise connected with them. I recognize their wisdom, inspiration, and such, and pray that I can always strive for knowledge and wisdom, be inspired in creative writing, etc.

In the beginning here I have made crafts a sort of communication with them. I made a small shrine to Odin last wednesday in which I taped a few prayers I like, and a couple of graphics, one of Odin, and one of a wolf, an animal that he is connected with and that I feel a sort of connection with. I said the prayers, wishing to open myself to Odin. I did it on Wednesday because it is "Woden's day." Unfortunately I didn't have the time nor privacy to make one for Thor as I hoped, but today I started on one to Brigid. I did make a Brigid's Cross today, listening to meditative Celtic music while making it and then saying prayers to Brigid with the cross, once again opening myself.

As far as a response, well I don't quite know at the moment, I guess. Maybe I will need to work on that if it's anything on my end :)

ovjanelle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »

Sometimes I do a little ritual of lighting candles and sitting down and meditating while communing with them. Other times I just say a short little prayer while I'm at work or somewhere where I can't do the ritual thing. When I do the ritual thing I get all tingly inside and feel their presence more strongly than I would if I just said a quick little prayer. I still feel them when I do a quick little prayer. They comfort me no matter how I come to them. i just feel closer to them in ritual. They've never really spoken to me with words...it's just a warm feeling they give me that says everything is alright and we hear you.

Bast

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Polytheist | Eclectic Witch
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 08:30:40 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;176097

I chatter to my gods all the time. Sometimes I sit down and pray but mostly I just talk to them. Also meditation.

Tags: