"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Tea Offerings/Ritual  (Read 1717 times)

NoxSineNomine

• View Profile
Tea Offerings/Ritual
« on: June 07, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »
So clearly since this is in the beginner tag, I'm kinda throwing this out here because I'm curious about what I can do at the moment with my limited resources and limited... practicing ability.

I love tea, and I've got a lot of it with the ability to get a heck of a lot more. I'm wondering if I could do something like pay respect to my patron deities (The Morrigan and Cernunnos it's looking like a the moment) by brewing, offering and drinking specific teas. And if so, which teas they would be. I've tried to do some general research into it, but I'm really not surprised I didn't find much. It's not necessarily something that there's a lot about out there on a general level either.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Offerings/Ritual
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:59:14 pm »
Quote from: CorviCanum;175887
So clearly since this is in the beginner tag, I'm kinda throwing this out here because I'm curious about what I can do at the moment with my limited resources and limited... practicing ability.

I love tea, and I've got a lot of it with the ability to get a heck of a lot more. I'm wondering if I could do something like pay respect to my patron deities (The Morrigan and Cernunnos it's looking like a the moment) by brewing, offering and drinking specific teas. And if so, which teas they would be. I've tried to do some general research into it, but I'm really not surprised I didn't find much. It's not necessarily something that there's a lot about out there on a general level either.

Japanese tea ceremony. Try that.

The Morrigan has followed me to Japan both times, with the enormous Japanese garasu flapping about the shrines I visit. I don't work with her, but she is definitely present in that country. The tea ceremony and its ethos originated when Japan was under warrior rule. I think she would appreciate it.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:07:20 am »

I've offered tea on a couple of occasions. Not to those gods, but you can always try and see if they seem to like it!

I tend not to drink the things I offer to the Irish gods, as the folklore suggests that offerings shouldn't be eaten by people or animals (a lot of people bury them). If I want to share something with the gods, I offer some and have some myself. I have no idea if there's similar folklore for Gaulish gods, though.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 03:07:46 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:02:47 pm »
brewing, offering and drinking specific teas

If you are interested in exploring some of the qualities of and manufacture of different teas, The Story of Tea by Mary Lou and Robert Heiss is a nice overview.

I don't work in a Celtic context, but if I were considering a tea to offer, I might think about any of the following: where it was grown, how it was processed, is it scented, does it have a particular flavor note, etc.

Not to say one needs to be extremely particular, rather the world of tea has such variation that you will have a lot to work with. Everything from pu-erh aged for years in caves, smoke-scented lapsang souchong, delicate jasmine green teas, etc. And that's not even considering the many varieties of tisanes/herbal teas.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:23 pm »
I'm wondering if I could do something like pay respect to my patron deities (The Morrigan and Cernunnos it's looking like a the moment) by brewing, offering and drinking specific teas.

Hi, fellow tea-totaller! I, too, have a large and varied tea stash, though I've never tried using it as an offering. (I do dabble in tea-leaf reading.)

Coming at your question from another angle, you could try researching herb lore associated with those deities and making those herbs into tea.

Also, this reminds me of this thread where we discussed morning tea/coffee as a kind of ritual. I know there's a TC member who makes an offering of their morning tea, but I can't remember who it is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:09:05 am »

I figured this applied since She's a Celtic goddess like the Morrigan and Cernunnos, but I've heard of devotees offering Brighid tea on Tumblr. Pomegranate was one flavor I heard mentioned when offering tea to Brighid. So it is possible to have tea offerings/tea rituals with Celtic deities. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:11:29 am by Nic an Dair »

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:48:25 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175921
I figured this applied since She's a Celtic goddess like the Morrigan and Cernunnos, but I've heard of devotees offering Brighid tea on Tumblr. Pomegranate was one flavor I heard mentioned when offering tea to Brighid. So it is possible to have tea offerings/tea rituals with Celtic deities. Good luck!

You might look into the goddess Airmid, who is closely associated with herbs and healing. I usually offer tea to her.

Iset

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:41:37 am »

I incorporate tea into my cakes and ale ceremony since I can't have alcohol. I generally use green-jasmine as a personal preference.

Tags: