collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Daily Prayer  (Read 4542 times)

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Prayer
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 07:55:44 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175936
Do you have any experience working with them?

Well now I do mate! Just made my first today using an altoids tin. I left the outside untouched, just did the inside earlier. I feel it's a little barebones right now but hopefully I can add more things into it. This one's to Odin. Made it today because it is after all, "Wodensday" (Wednesday).

I hope to use these (once I make more) for more regular prayer.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »
Quote from: Seax_Blade;175980
Well now I do mate!

Nifty!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 02:09:26 am »
Quote from: Demophon;175850
I was wondering if daily prayer is a part of people's paths and personal practices, as I find it very satisfying and grounding, though I haven't heard very much about it in pagan religions.

My daily prayer comes courtesy of the beautiful written words of Victor Anderson and Thorn Coyle:

"Holy Mother, in whom we live, move, and have our being, from you all things emerge and unto you all things return…

Open our hearts this blessed day, touch our bodies and our minds. Walk with us through the gates of power: in shadow and starlight, in fire meeting earth, in the wind on the ocean, and the sweet kiss of life. Blessed be our journey."

I speak this daily as I make a morning offering and meditate.

There are a couple of other practices/rituals that I try to do daily but this one is my only MUST DO.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »
I'm wondering what daily practice looks like for other people here.

I pray daily to Brighid -- at least twice a day and often more.  My prayers are a combination of both spontaneous and "standard", often using the prayers in the Clann Bhride Book of Hours. (Full disclosure: I'm a co-founder of Clann Bhride and co-author of the Book of Hours.)

I also light an oil lamp for Her every night, even if only for a few minutes.  And I offer Her flame (a tea light) and water every night, as well as lighting tea lights to represent specific prayers.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 03:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175855
As far as my personal practice, I tend to do daily libations of water to Saule in the morning (which, by the way, is a much simpler religious practice than it sounds), and when I take the water away in the evening, I talk to her.

I'm interested in learning about Saule. Can you recommend any resources?

Thanks!

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 03:25:14 am »
Quote from: Seax_Blade;175930
I have the same problem of space, but I was pointed towards using something like an altoid tin or matchbook for a shrine/altar. It took me by surprise--I was imagining that shrines and altars should me good sized, I guess a bit more akin to the Christian altar. I was overthinking it haha, but on pinterest there are many pictures of altoid tin/matchbook/small shrines or altars.

Oh by the way, I think I meant to say it originally but forgot to. Daily, I try to remember to just say something like "gods and goddesses, thank you for life" in the morning. That practice will be reinforced because of an elderly man, my mom asked him how he was doing, and he says "I woke up this morning, I'm blessed." I figure, well shoot, I better be thankful for life! So every morning I express my gratitude, even in a simple way.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 12:27:04 am »
I was wondering if daily prayer is a part of people's paths and personal practices, as I find it very satisfying and grounding, though I haven't heard very much about it in pagan religions.

My prayers tend to be of a Christian nature from a Catholic prayer book, just because I like the structure and am pretty open to various religious practices. I haven't found pagan "daily devotions" that particularly speak to me, and I don't have the talent to write my own. I know in recon paths people often should honour gods in their personal shrine, or give libations and prayers, on a daily basis. I personally don't want to bother with incense and offerings every day, but I do like the idea of prayer. Some neo-pagans seem to do daily meditations and visualization work, though I'm not too interested in that. I prefer a more devotional practice.

Maybe because of my Christian background, I like the idea of long, traditional prayers from a prayer book done on a daily basis without much variation. There are ancient hymns to ancient deities that I have found, but not much in the way of prayers without propitiation, which is fine, just not what I'm used to.

I have a few prayers I run through every day: in the morning, a prayer to the morning star, the Goddess of the dawn, and Sunna asking for the light and hope that comes with daybreak.  I also offer tea to my ancestors along with a prayer each morning, and recently have started saying a prayer to Freya and drawing a rune for the day. I have a long prayer that addresses each of the Vanir I tend to say around lunch, and now that the weather is nice I usually eat outside and leave a bit of my lunch with a prayer to the land wights. In the evening I say a prayer to the evening star, a star Goddess, and Nott the personification of the night. It sounds like a lot, but once I got in the habit it doesn't actually take much time at all.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 12:22:21 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;176293
I'm interested in learning about Saule. Can you recommend any resources?

Thanks!

I would love to. :) Right now I can't do much, but my blog has a little bit about her, and tomorrow I can pass you the sources I've used/am using. (I've been working with her for a while, so the list might be a little long.) Would you like me to PM you, or would posting on the board work?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 12:43:43 am »
Quote from: Ian288;176406
I would love to. :) Right now I can't do much, but my blog has a little bit about her, and tomorrow I can pass you the sources I've used/am using. (I've been working with her for a while, so the list might be a little long.) Would you like me to PM you, or would posting on the board work?

Whichever you prefer. If it isn't personal info, you might post it publicly, in case others are interested. It might not be a bad idea to start a new thread for the info, too, so it's easier to find.

But PMs are fine, too.

There's no hurry. I have a lot going on, too. So please don't feel rushed.

Thank you!

Meliorazeses

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 02:19:08 am »

I used to for years, and am trying to get back to focusing on a small part of my central text each day.  Just enough that I can keep it in mind throughout the day.  I find that it often feels quite appropriate to the day and whatever is going on.  I don't know if it's precisely prayer, but it serves a similar purpose?

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 11:53:49 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;176408
Whichever you prefer. If it isn't personal info, you might post it publicly, in case others are interested. It might not be a bad idea to start a new thread for the info, too, so it's easier to find.

But PMs are fine, too.

There's no hurry. I have a lot going on, too. So please don't feel rushed.

Thank you!

Thank you, too! :) Seriously. I love researching Saule, and the times that I get to share that research are far and few between (and usually to a less than captive audience ;) ).

In any case, here's the link the the board I started. Hopefully it's somewhat helpful.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;176607
In any case, here's the link the the board I started. Hopefully it's somewhat helpful.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to checking this out!

Tags: