collapse

Author Topic: Daily Prayer  (Read 4540 times)

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Daily Prayer
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:08:43 pm »
I was wondering if daily prayer is a part of people's paths and personal practices, as I find it very satisfying and grounding, though I haven't heard very much about it in pagan religions.

My prayers tend to be of a Christian nature from a Catholic prayer book, just because I like the structure and am pretty open to various religious practices. I haven't found pagan "daily devotions" that particularly speak to me, and I don't have the talent to write my own. I know in recon paths people often should honour gods in their personal shrine, or give libations and prayers, on a daily basis. I personally don't want to bother with incense and offerings every day, but I do like the idea of prayer. Some neo-pagans seem to do daily meditations and visualization work, though I'm not too interested in that. I prefer a more devotional practice.

Maybe because of my Christian background, I like the idea of long, traditional prayers from a prayer book done on a daily basis without much variation. There are ancient hymns to ancient deities that I have found, but not much in the way of prayers without propitiation, which is fine, just not what I'm used to.

I'm wondering what daily practice looks like for other people here.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Prayer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:42:23 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;175850
I was wondering if daily prayer is a part of people's paths and personal practices, as I find it very satisfying and grounding, though I haven't heard very much about it in pagan religions.

My prayers tend to be of a Christian nature from a Catholic prayer book, just because I like the structure and am pretty open to various religious practices. I haven't found pagan "daily devotions" that particularly speak to me, and I don't have the talent to write my own. I know in recon paths people often should honour gods in their personal shrine, or give libations and prayers, on a daily basis. I personally don't want to bother with incense and offerings every day, but I do like the idea of prayer. Some neo-pagans seem to do daily meditations and visualization work, though I'm not too interested in that. I prefer a more devotional practice.

Maybe because of my Christian background, I like the idea of long, traditional prayers from a prayer book done on a daily basis without much variation. There are ancient hymns to ancient deities that I have found, but not much in the way of prayers without propitiation, which is fine, just not what I'm used to.

I'm with you. Meditation and visualization don't work at all for me. They feel too dislocated from my practice, which does center more on devotional work, now that I think about it.

As far as my personal practice, I tend to do daily libations of water to Saule in the morning (which, by the way, is a much simpler religious practice than it sounds), and when I take the water away in the evening, I talk to her. I tend to steer clear of long and elaborate, as when I try for it, I tend to fail dramatically. (Though a book of suitably long and elaborate prayers would be nice, tbh. I just can't write them myself.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:42:53 pm by Lana288 »

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »

I do daily prayers morning and evening, though mine are very short (like, 4 lines each). I wrote them myself, and I've gone through several versions over the years. Some have been longer, but I find that I tend to run through those on autopilot without really thinking about what I'm saying.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:48:51 pm »

I wish I could give daily offerings. Not that I necessarily would. But the option would be very nice indeed.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »
Quote from: Yei;175862
I wish I could give daily offerings. Not that I necessarily would. But the option would be very nice indeed.

Would you mind if I asked why it's not an option? Let me know if I'm being rude- I'm just curious to whether it's something to do with the path you're following, or it's just not possible for you personally.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 10:07:48 pm »

I currently have morning and evening devotions that I do every day. They are simple, short libation rituals, where I offer water to Heru in the morning, and to Sobek in the evening.

Through a lot of trial and error and practice, I know the best kind of daily rituals for me are ones I can do when I'm half-asleep in my pyjamas, and can easily memorise. And these rituals fit that bill. I know some people prefer a longer, more involved daily ritual, but tbh, that has never worked for me.

I'm also planning out something similarly short for the Theoi, but I'm still deciding on timing/frequency, and what it ought to be like.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:21:13 am »
Quote from: Ian288;175866
Would you mind if I asked why it's not an option? Let me know if I'm being rude- I'm just curious to whether it's something to do with the path you're following, or it's just not possible for you personally.

Two reasons: Space and fire ban.

I live in a small room, and I do not have a proper space for an alter. I have improvised one out of a bookshelf, but alas, it is logistically imperfect.

My apartment also has a blanket ban on all fires, and this prevents me from burning incense, which are the main form of offering.

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »
Quote from: Yei;175872

I live in a small room, and I do not have a proper space for an alter. I have improvised one out of a bookshelf, but alas, it is logistically imperfect.

I have the same problem of space, but I was pointed towards using something like an altoid tin or matchbook for a shrine/altar. It took me by surprise--I was imagining that shrines and altars should me good sized, I guess a bit more akin to the Christian altar. I was overthinking it haha, but on pinterest there are many pictures of altoid tin/matchbook/small shrines or altars.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:43:42 pm by Seax_Blade »

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »

When I make coffee I pour a small (demitasse) cup for my ancestors before I take any coffee. I've put together a sequence of short prayers for my morning hammer donning. They are short prayers and poems I found on the internet at various Heathen sites. I will not go out of the house without putting on my hammer and saying these prayers.

When I make an offering in the evening, which I'm ashamed to say I haven't done in a few weeks, I light candles and incense, pour mead, beer or wine into a small bowl, and offer it along with some other prayers, toasts and poems. I drink the rest.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »
Quote from: Seax_Blade;175930
I have the same problem of space, but I was pointed towards using something like an altoid tin or matchbook for a shrine/altar. It took me by surprise--I was imagining that shrines and altars should me good sized, I guess a bit more akin to the Christian altar. I was overthinking it haha, but on pinterest there are many pictures of altoid tin/matchbook/small shrines or altars.

That's interesting. They sound like they'd be really good for travel, too, or a help if one wanted to be more discreet about one's practice in general. Do you have any experience working with them?

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »
Quote from: Yei;175872
Two reasons: Space and fire ban.

This is a big part of why I find the rosary such a helpful prayer tool. Even if one doesn't count prayers specifically on the beads, it's just a good tactile object to focus on during prayers and devotions. It's nice to have something tangible to focus on if you can't have a full shrine or altar, and there isn't the mess of offerings.

I've seen pagan versions of rosaries, which I guess could be helpful, though not something I've personally been drawn to.

Seax_Blade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 06:29:12 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175936
That's interesting. They sound like they'd be really good for travel, too, or a help if one wanted to be more discreet about one's practice in general. Do you have any experience working with them?

No I don't, I will try to make one tomorrow I think.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175936

I made one of these out of a hard-sided wallet, specifically for travelling. Pics here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:02 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;175946
I made one of these out of a hard-sided wallet, specifically for travelling. Pics here.

That's interesting. How do you use it? I imagine that it'd make an excellent focal point for prayer, but that's all I can think of doing with it. (I'm quite unimaginative, if you can't tell.)

It's very nice,  by the way. :) Do you mind if I ask what the little pots are for? If I remember right, that sort of design on temple walls could represent offerings, and I'm curious if that's what you've done there.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175962
That's interesting. How do you use it? I imagine that it'd make an excellent focal point for prayer, but that's all I can think of doing with it. (I'm quite unimaginative, if you can't tell.)

It's very nice,  by the way. :) Do you mind if I ask what the little pots are for? If I remember right, that sort of design on temple walls could represent offerings, and I'm curious if that's what you've done there.

Yeah, the pots are offerings; the blue one is water and the red one is supposed to be wine. Being a Kemetic works well here since in Egypt, an image was as good as the real thing ceremony-wise. Libations can be tricky while travelling.

And yes, it's mostly a focus for prayer (same as my home altar). Though I do store my ankh necklace in it at night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: