collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Contemplation  (Read 1255 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Contemplation
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:37:36 pm »
I saw a thread that mentioned the concept of contemplation but it was a little different definition than what I learned in my Anglican background that today I am only loosely and culturally affiliated with but that still plays a big part in my spirituality (even though I wonder if "Christo-Eclectic" rather than "Christian is a more apt description of what I've evolved into).

My spirituality I think is largely or even primarily contemplative.  I've often prayed and wondered if I should enter a monastery but have opted against it because I need more freedom in my personal spiritual practice.  But I'd like to get a feel for how this practice might play into some persons' practice of neo-pagan spirituality.

As I learned it contemplation is simply being with God, being aware of his presence.  It can take many forms, but primarily it is a way of living.  As for specific practices it may involve sitting in quiet meditation that can involve a word or mantra to stop thoughts, but rather than a type of Zen focus on non-being it's more about being aware of God.  It can involve more active practices like praying on beads or gazing at a sacred image.  It can even involve active meditation -- visualizing a given scene or image, even slowly mulling over it and thinking over it, while also being aware of the Presence penetrating the whole activity.  One may offer up sufferings for other people.  Even in everyday life or during difficult tasks one tries to maintain this awareness of Presence and at some point be able to accept and be content with joy or sorrow and pain, to not let either good or bad events distract us from that inner stillness that develops.  In some ways it can feel like being in love.  And there are periods of dryness and even dark times of suffering and a sense of abandonment, but that should not be a reason to give up because while pleasant feelings and ecstasy and amazing experiences can occur, that isn't the point of it at all.

I could see how this kind of practice might not jive with some polytheistic spiritualities perhaps because there may be no concept of an omnipresent high God, I don't really know, but in my spirituality there are similar ways of communing with saints, angels, spirits, and for me at least, other gods if I'm ready to put in the extra homework of familiarizing myself with foreign practices and ideas and I'm sure that is calling to me and it doesn't just seem like a cool idea.  I'd imagine one could develop a practice of constantly remaining aware of the presence in some sense of even a limited god or spirit, particularly a guardian or patron.  I could see something like this being possible in a panentheist context as well; my own spirituality could probably be classified that way with nuances.

I'm interested if you have a similar practice centered around Deity or other gods and beings?  What might that look like for you?  Have you noticed any effects associated with it?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Contemplation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:28 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;175809
I'm interested if you have a similar practice centered around Deity or other gods and beings?  What might that look like for you?  Have you noticed any effects associated with it?

Contemplative spirituality doesn't have to be Christian (although its history comes from Catholicism). Some friends of mine are working on a practice of Contemplative Druidry, I believe inspired by this book (although I haven't read it yet). Nimue Brown writes a lot about the ways her group is developing the practice. There's a Facebook group if you're interested in finding out more - they advertise events and retreats in the UK there.

I'm currently thinking about how various aspects of Ignatian spirituality could work in polytheistic and other Pagan contexts, for a blog series on them (if I can say anything useful). The three types of Ignatian spirituality (the Examen, Contemplation and Discernment) don't have to be Christian to be useful. They're very closely related to the modern concept of 'mindfulness'. They need to be expressed differently in polytheistic or pantheistic contexts, but they still work. The Examen, for example, involves detatched examination of your day (or your whole life), looking at the points where the gods and spirits have impacted on it, or where you had times of spiritual awareness. I try use it to reflect on the places in my day where, instead of being consumed with myself, I was aware of the interconnectedness of all life. The aim being to increase that awareness.

This site has lots of resources on Ignatian spirituality. http://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-spiritual-exercises
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 386
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal