Newbie WillowDusk is on a distinguished road WillowDusk's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Sep 2011 @ 11:39 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Agnosticism

Any advice for a new comer?

Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start? I noticed that there are certain branches of Paganism. What's so different about each of them? Different Gods? Different views? Different everything? What makes a person associated with a certain branch? Would you call them branches?
    Obviously I am very curious.
    I have already looked through some main Paganism websites that give spells and stories.
    I was hoping I could converse with some people that have more experience.
    Thank you all!

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Liadine (dragonflyeyes) will become famous soon enough Liadine (dragonflyeyes)'s Avatar
    Last Online
    7 May 2014 @ 01:13 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Hard polytheist, fire worker, and feral witch

Re: Any advice for a new comer?

Quote Originally Posted by WillowDusk View Post
    Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start?
    I'm just running out the door, but here are some good places to start:

The Cauldron's own Pagan Primer and Teens & Paganism FAQ (not just for teenagers, I still refer to it sometimes) are both really fabulous sources of both information and tips on what to look for in other sources.

Jennet's Seeking website covers a lot of ground, from absolute 'who does what' basics to 'how to find a group in real life'.

Welcome to the Cauldron! It's where I ended up when I was more-or-less in the same position you are, years back, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to find my footing.
    We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
    Always Good For a Storm [my religious blog, updated Oct 21/2013]

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Geroth is on a distinguished road Geroth's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Jul 2014 @ 10:34 PM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Work in Progress

Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start? I noticed that there are certain branches of Paganism. What's so different about each of them? Different Gods? Different views? Different everything? What makes a person associated with a certain branch? Would you call them branches?
    Obviously I am very curious.
    I have already looked through some main Paganism websites that give spells and stories.
    I was hoping I could converse with some people that have more experience.
    Thank you all!
    Hi, it basically all depends on what type of Paganism you are interested in and plan on following. There are soo many diffrent branches and sects within Paganism, at times it's hard to keep up. Are you interested in the Wiccan style God and Goddess worship or are you interested in hard polytheism? Are you attracted to a certain culture (Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Slavic, African, East Asian, Hindu etc)? Are you interested in reconstructing the religions of the past such as religions like Asatru or Hellenismos or are you more of an eclectic person who likes to mix things together?

I would not rush into it straight away. My biggest suggestion is to read a lot and look up every website you can on the subject. Read, Read and Read.

If you tell us some of your beliefs we may be able to help you and direct you on which path may fit your beliefs more.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Agnosticism

Quote Originally Posted by Geroth View Post
    Hi, it basically all depends on what type of Paganism you are interested in and plan on following. There are soo many diffrent branches and sects within Paganism, at times it's hard to keep up. Are you interested in the Wiccan style God and Goddess worship or are you interested in hard polytheism? Are you attracted to a certain culture (Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Slavic, African, East Asian, Hindu etc)? Are you interested in reconstructing the religions of the past such as religions like Asatru or Hellenismos or are you more of an eclectic person who likes to mix things together?

I would not rush into it straight away. My biggest suggestion is to read a lot and look up every website you can on the subject. Read, Read and Read.

If you tell us some of your beliefs we may be able to help you and direct you on which path may fit your beliefs more.
    Thanks!
    I'm not exactly attracted to a certain culture exactly but I may tend to mix things together.
    I love nature, the ocean to be more specific. Mermaid tales are very fascinating to me.
    Being Agnostic I have been able to explore many different religions and base what makes more sense to me.
    I believe that when we die, we spend the rest of eternity guiding those of who we knew/loved/hated throughout their life based on their experience with you more or less. And those experiences pass on to others and we live forever in the minds/hearts of all whether we knew them or not. And therefore we are all one.
    But I believe that there are multiple forces that control the universe and how it works. Whether they be Gods, Spirits, or whatever.
    I also believe that the ocean plays a huge role in how the Earth works and how people/animals interact.
    I looked up the Goddess Yemaya and found a strong interest. So I may have a West African mix in there.

Last Online
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Work in Progress

Thanks!
    I'm not exactly attracted to a certain culture exactly but I may tend to mix things together.
    I love nature, the ocean to be more specific. Mermaid tales are very fascinating to me.
    Being Agnostic I have been able to explore many different religions and base what makes more sense to me.
    I believe that when we die, we spend the rest of eternity guiding those of who we knew/loved/hated throughout their life based on their experience with you more or less. And those experiences pass on to others and we live forever in the minds/hearts of all whether we knew them or not. And therefore we are all one.
    But I believe that there are multiple forces that control the universe and how it works. Whether they be Gods, Spirits, or whatever.
    I also believe that the ocean plays a huge role in how the Earth works and how people/animals interact.
    I looked up the Goddess Yemaya and found a strong interest. So I may have a West African mix in there.
    Are you intested in practicing witchcraft or magic in any way?

By going on your beliefs, it seems to me like Druidism or maybe a earth centered form of Wicca maybe the best for you. Druidism is very earth centered and animistic. On the top of my head I cannot think of any Ocean orientated pagan paths but there are so many different forms of Wicca and it is a very adaptable and eclectic path.

They are just suggestions, these two paths may not be for you but it couldn't hurt to look into it some more.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Agnosticism

Are you intested in practicing witchcraft or magic in any way?

By going on your beliefs, it seems to me like Druidism or maybe a earth centered form of Wicca maybe the best for you. Druidism is very earth centered and animistic. On the top of my head I cannot think of any Ocean orientated pagan paths but there are so many different forms of Wicca and it is a very adaptable and eclectic path.

They are just suggestions, these two paths may not be for you but it couldn't hurt to look into it some more.
    Possible a little bit of Magic. Just small ones, mostly on myself and nature. I wouldn't on anyone else.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Agnosticism

Quote Originally Posted by Liadine (dragonflyeyes) View Post
    I'm just running out the door, but here are some good places to start:

The Cauldron's own Pagan Primer and Teens & Paganism FAQ (not just for teenagers, I still refer to it sometimes) are both really fabulous sources of both information and tips on what to look for in other sources.

Jennet's Seeking website covers a lot of ground, from absolute 'who does what' basics to 'how to find a group in real life'.

Welcome to the Cauldron! It's where I ended up when I was more-or-less in the same position you are, years back, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to find my footing.
    Thank you! This will help greatly!

Last Online
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Work in Progress

Possible a little bit of Magic. Just small ones, mostly on myself and nature. I wouldn't on anyone else.
    Ok, yeah I think Druidism or maybe an earth/ocean centred Wiccan path maybe for you. I suggest doing some research on Druidism and Wicca. Like I said, it may not appeal to you in the end but it's worth a look.

Banned Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ccardinot is an unknown quantity at this point ccardinot's Avatar
    Last Online
    10 Jul 2014 @ 08:15 PM
    Country
    Brazil
    Religion
    Witchcraft

Ok, yeah I think Druidism or maybe an earth/ocean centred Wiccan path maybe for you. I suggest doing some research on Druidism and Wicca. Like I said, it may not appeal to you in the end but it's worth a look.
    Dear, look for african religions, such as Candomblé, Umbanda and Quimbanda. They all revere gods and goddesses related to all the elements, but with a different aproach than the most common pagan sects on the internet.

A pearl of advice is to reasearch as much as you can, and have no fear of doing so. I reasearched for 10 years before deciding to dedicate myself to my path, and have no regrets, as I'm truly happy with my path. Hope you find yours soon.

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread