"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: mermaid devotion  (Read 1555 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
mermaid devotion
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »
I recently read about a loa that is a mermaid spirit.  Can anyone give me sources on mermaid spirits from different religions or in modern neo-paganism?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: mermaid devotion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:37 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;175487
I recently read about a loa that is a mermaid spirit.  Can anyone give me sources on mermaid spirits from different religions or in modern neo-paganism?

Depends on your definition of "mermaid". Plenty of cultures have myths about water spirits in varying guises.

Greek mythology contains a boatload of water deities and spirits, including the Naiads, Nereides, and Oceanids.

The Syrian goddess Atargatis was sometimes depicted as a mermaid.

"Rockstar Priestess" is a huge mermaid fan, and a large chunk of her spirituality is mermaids. She even has a mermaid e-course.

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:34 am »
Quote from: Fier;175504
Depends on your definition of "mermaid". Plenty of cultures have myths about water spirits in varying guises.

Greek mythology contains a boatload of water deities and spirits, including the Naiads, Nereides, and Oceanids.

The Syrian goddess Atargatis was sometimes depicted as a mermaid.

"Rockstar Priestess" is a huge mermaid fan, and a large chunk of her spirituality is mermaids. She even has a mermaid e-course.

This.

Virtually every culture has "mermaids" if you see them as aquatic deities and spirits instead of physical creatures.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:47 am »

What specifically about mermaids are you interested in?

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
Quote from: Fier;175522
What specifically about mermaids are you interested in?

I misphrased my question.  I meant to ask if anyone knows of modern devotions to mermaids?  I know there is a mermaid loa in Voodoo who is girlish and flirtatious.
My personal moral code:

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;175554
I misphrased my question.  I meant to ask if anyone knows of modern devotions to mermaids?  I know there is a mermaid loa in Voodoo who is girlish and flirtatious.

I believe that would be Yemaya, but it looks like she features in a various Afro-Caribbean religions.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:42:57 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175555
I believe that would be Yemaya, but it looks like she features in a various Afro-Caribbean religions.

I meant to edit this in before my internet suddenly dropped. Yemaya is also known as Mami Wata and other names in the Yoruban and Afro-Caribbean religions.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 12:06:01 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175556
I meant to edit this in before my internet suddenly dropped. Yemaya is also known as Mami Wata and other names in the Yoruban and Afro-Caribbean religions.

Cool, I'll google it.  But while I'm here, do you know if any adherents of this religion are devoted to this spirit like a goddess or guardian?  Or is it more the kind of spirit to be appeased to avoid unpleasantness?
My personal moral code:

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 12:38:45 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;175559
Cool, I'll google it.  But while I'm here, do you know if any adherents of this religion are devoted to this spirit like a goddess or guardian?  Or is it more the kind of spirit to be appeased to avoid unpleasantness?

Both, really. La Sirene is the incarnation of the mermaid loa I'm most familiar with, and like a lot of deities in voudou she can be either a wonderful benefactress or someone you avoid on account of you pissing them off. Relationships with any god or spirit are cultivated and not every human gets on with every non corporeal being. But yes, devotees of La Sirene -and Yemaya - do definitely exist.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 12:39:42 am »

I have just recently had a strong desire to research sea Goddesses. Which is strange because I live so far from water. I found the name Thalassa. Thalassa apparently is the primordial representation of the sea in Greek mythology.

When I first began studying modern Paganism I was confused with the association of water as feminine because of the numerous Sea Gods throughout many cultures.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;175554

I'm still not sure I entirely understand what you're looking for, but I can tell you how I have learned to work with mermaids.

As spirits of the water, seas and oceans usually, mermaids have both superficial and deep sides to their personalities, and they are in touch with both. They are comfortable exploring the depths and dark places just as much as they are playing in the surf and basking in the sun. Therefor they have both "light" and "dark" sides.

Mermaids are:
- fiercely independent
- not at all concerned with what anyone thinks about them
- passionate
- in love with themselves (in a healthy way)
- not at all afraid of or hesitant in pursuing what they want

Mermaids can teach us a lot about self love, care, and acceptance. They teach us to learn about ourselves by guiding us to look deep within and noticing how we reflect our world view onto other people. They can show us how to pursue our passions without worrying about what other people think.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 04:51:47 pm »

Although obviously you will need to read with a critical eye as much as anywhere, I actually suggest you look on tumblr (what exactly to search I can't tell you, but if you ask a major pagan (particularly, I think, fae-related) blogger, if they don't have an idea they might be willing to signal boost your question). I see and meet a lot of people that work with, although not always worship, non-deity spirits (eg mermaids, although not necessarily the loa you're looking at).

Tags: