Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Perpetual Struggle  (Read 5097 times)

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Perpetual Struggle
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:55:44 am »
I've struggled if i should post this or not for weeks. It's highly personal, and I don't share it with anyone. But thanks to web anonymity, I feel like I have the guts to ask for some direction.

I've struggled with sexual addiction in various forms most of my life. I'm a fan of anyone and everyone being free with their sexuality, but mine is out of control and has done a real number on my life. I've tried therapy, medication, but nothing works. I've started to seek magickal solutions, i've made a talisman and working on other options.

My question to this forum is: are there any sort of religious/magickal/spiritual solutions you'd recommend? I'm debating trying a Shadow Ritual that seems to approach my goals. Has anyone tried this, and if so, have any suggestions? Or any words of wisdom you have to throw my way would be appreciated.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Perpetual Struggle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:00:50 pm »
Quote from: Hieronymus;175402
I've struggled with sexual addiction in various forms most of my life. I'm a fan of anyone and everyone being free with their sexuality, but mine is out of control and has done a real number on my life. I've tried therapy, medication, but nothing works. I've started to seek magickal solutions, i've made a talisman and working on other options.

If you know the underlying reason or reasons why you are addicted, magically working on the causes would probably be the most effective way to handle this.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:11 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;175440
If you know the underlying reason or reasons why you are addicted, magically working on the causes would probably be the most effective way to handle this.

Thanks Randall, I will have to do some digging to find out the cause. But I think you have something there.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

Lydia

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:42:02 am »
Quote from: Hieronymus;175402

Don't use magic for that. Magic is not useful for that sort of thing, unless you count the placebo effect.

The solution to sex addiction is psychiatric medication. You say that you have already tried medication, so you must have been using the wrong type of drug. Libido is facilitated by dopamine and oxytocin, and inhibited by prolactin. Therefore, antipsychotic drugs that block D2 receptors, and therefore increase prolactin, are effective in reducing libido. One can also raise one's prolactin, without raising one's oxytocin, by cuddling inanimate things, like a pillow or blanket.
It is more often than not the case that dominance-asserting sociopaths rule over decent people, due to the more power-hungry nature of the former. That principle is demonstrated well by various internet forums. ...*ahem*

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 03:24:45 am »
Quote from: Lydia;176312
Don't use magic for that. Magic is not useful for that sort of thing, unless you count the placebo effect.

The solution to sex addiction is psychiatric medication. You say that you have already tried medication, so you must have been using the wrong type of drug. Libido is facilitated by dopamine and oxytocin, and inhibited by prolactin. Therefore, antipsychotic drugs that block D2 receptors, and therefore increase prolactin, are effective in reducing libido. One can also raise one's prolactin, without raising one's oxytocin, by cuddling inanimate things, like a pillow or blanket.

What?

This is an irresponsible reply. You are not a doctor (I assume), and even if you were, you have not diagnosed the OP with anything, nor do you know their history or details. Recommending drug treatments from ignorance is risky stuff.

As for whether or not magic will work - that's your opinion. Some of us have found magic very useful for addictions. I think it's really dangerous of you to make blanket statements in this arrogant tone.

And as for saying that if drugs don't work for someone, they're taking 'the wrong type of drug'... no. No no no.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:03:00 am »
Quote from: Lydia;176312

I was too appalled to respond to this at first. For someone to come to a forum such as this and declare magic is bullshit for this problem and (with some misunderstood bio physiology thrown in) suggest to a stranger they take a heavy-duty drug like an antipsychotic for what is clearly not a psychosis related issue and if that doesn't work, hug a cuddly toy, well. And *worse*, to just keep on trying such drugs if at first it doesn't work. That's really horrible. It reminded me of the kind of trollish remarks one hears about  like someone going to a depression support forum and posting about a person's right to die or some like variant.

In other words, it seems outrageous  and foolish enough to simply be malicious. I don't think it could have been meant to be taken seriously? Perhaps it meant to be a kind of back-door editorializing of the OP's problem?

If it were my forum I would take the post down just in case some poor sod took it seriously and assumed the person making the suggestion had the authority to do so ( though of course no one who had the knowledge based authority would *ever* write such a thing).

In my opinion, it was a cruel and dangerous comment, lacking in sympathy (certainly) but more importantly, an astounding show of ignorance. Although I strive to be civil in all my responses, there can be no civility in the face of such a suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:04:35 am by carillion »

Lydia

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:18:56 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;176314
This is an irresponsible reply. You are not a doctor (I assume), and even if you were, you have not diagnosed the OP with anything, nor do you know their history or details. Recommending drug treatments from ignorance is risky stuff.

As for whether or not magic will work - that's your opinion. Some of us have found magic very useful for addictions. I think it's really dangerous of you to make blanket statements in this arrogant tone.

Quote from: carillion;176318
I was too appalled to respond to this at first. For someone to come to a forum such as this and declare magic is bullshit for this problem and (with some misunderstood bio physiology thrown in) suggest to a stranger they take a heavy-duty drug like an antipsychotic for what is clearly not a psychosis related issue and if that doesn't work, hug a cuddly toy, well. And *worse*, to just keep on trying such drugs if at first it doesn't work. That's really horrible. It reminded me of the kind of trollish remarks one hears about  like someone going to a depression support forum and posting about a person's right to die or some like variant.

In other words, it seems outrageous  and foolish enough to simply be malicious. I don't think it could have been meant to be taken seriously? Perhaps it meant to be a kind of back-door editorializing of the OP's problem?

If it were my forum I would take the post down just in case some poor sod took it seriously and assumed the person making the suggestion had the authority to do so ( though of course no one who had the knowledge based authority would *ever* write such a thing).

In my opinion, it was a cruel and dangerous comment, lacking in sympathy (certainly) but more importantly, an astounding show of ignorance. Although I strive to be civil in all my responses, there can be no civility in the face of such a suggestion.

I am a psychologist, with cross-disciplinary education in psychiatry. I have given Hieronymus my expertise out of altruism, and such information can really help him. Therefore the logical reaction to my post would be to appreciate my helpfulness.

But how the two of you have reacted to my post is antithetical to that, and is downright bizarre. I see that the both of you are exhibiting extensive sociopathic negative false-portrayal behavior directed at me. The only question is: What is your psychological motive for doing so (assuming that the both of you are not simply motivated by the joy of random disruptive cruelty)?

In the case of you, Naomi, I already know the answer: I have noticed before (back when you commented on a wiki article that I wrote) that you are exhibiting a long-term pattern of clever negative false-portrayal behavior directed at me (thus indicating an obsessive grudge), but this is the first time that I have mentioned said pattern. That grudge of yours began a long time ago, back when you became angered at me for having made very unorthodox religious/spiritual statements on this forum, which violated your sense of orthodox dominance.

In the case of you, Carillion, I have figured out your motive as well. It is because you have a sense of dominance on this forum, which is tied to your expectation that people make posts of an 'orthodox' or 'proper' type (even if they are wrong and unhelpful), and your sense of dominance is violated when someone makes a post that it outside of those bounds (even if it is truthful and helpful; or perhaps precisely because it is truthful and helpful despite being 'improper'). Your phrase "For someone to come to a forum such as this and declare magic is bullshit for this problem" indicates your clear perception that I am an outsider (even though I have been on this forum much longer than you) who is violating your sense of collective dominance.

In both cases, the underlying psychological motive for your extensive negative false-portrayal behavior is dominance-assertion.
It is more often than not the case that dominance-asserting sociopaths rule over decent people, due to the more power-hungry nature of the former. That principle is demonstrated well by various internet forums. ...*ahem*

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:35:34 pm »
Quote from: Lydia;176330
I am a psychologist, with cross-disciplinary education in psychiatry. I have given Hieronymus my expertise out of altruism, and such information can really help him. Therefore the logical reaction to my post would be to appreciate my helpfulness.

But how the two of you have reacted to my post is antithetical to that, and is downright bizarre. I see that the both of you are exhibiting extensive sociopathic negative false-portrayal behavior directed at me. The only question is: What is your psychological motive for doing so (assuming that the both of you are not simply motivated by the joy of random disruptive cruelty)?

In the case of you, Naomi, I already know the answer: I have noticed before (back when you commented on a wiki article that I wrote) that you are exhibiting a long-term pattern of clever negative false-portrayal behavior directed at me (thus indicating an obsessive grudge), but this is the first time that I have mentioned said pattern. That grudge of yours began a long time ago, back when you became angered at me for having made very unorthodox religious/spiritual statements on this forum, which violated your sense of orthodox dominance.

In the case of you, Carillion, I have figured out your motive as well. It is because you have a sense of dominance on this forum, which is tied to your expectation that people make posts of an 'orthodox' or 'proper' type (even if they are wrong and unhelpful), and your sense of dominance is violated when someone makes a post that it outside of those bounds (even if it is truthful and helpful; or perhaps precisely because it is truthful and helpful despite being 'improper'). Your phrase "For someone to come to a forum such as this and declare magic is bullshit for this problem" indicates your clear perception that I am an outsider (even though I have been on this forum much longer than you) who is violating your sense of collective dominance.

In both cases, the underlying psychological motive for your extensive negative false-portrayal behavior is dominance-assertion.

Oo! Do me! :)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 06:11:00 pm »
Quote from: Lydia;176330

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Since when was it ethical practice for a psychologist is to diagnose and recommend medicine based on a post on an Internet forum? Never, as far as I know. It is certainly not considered ethical by me and as I'm a Co-Host of this board, that's all that matters where this board is concerned. Please refrain from such behavior here in the future as I consider it way out of line.

But how the two of you have reacted to my post is antithetical to that, and is downright bizarre. I see that the both of you are exhibiting extensive sociopathic negative false-portrayal behavior directed at me.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Name-calling is against forum rules, not matter what your supposed credentials nor how fancy the language used to pretty it up. And this statement and the rest of this post are none but such fancy name-calling. This is your first official warning. I strongly suggest you reread the forum rules before you make another post on this board
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;176339
*** MOD HAT ON ***
Name-calling is against forum rules, not matter what your supposed credentials nor how fancy the language used to pretty it up. And this statement and the rest of this post are none but such fancy name-calling. This is your first official warning. I strongly suggest you reread the forum rules before you make another post on this board

*** MOD HAT ON ***
And having seen the sig you used before Shadow removed it, I'm adding a second official warning for personal attacks. That's two strikes. Three and you're out.
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 06:35:00 pm »
Quote from: carillion;176318

Hanging this here, in light of your 'no civility' point, Carillion, but it's to everyone, as it says.

A Reminder:
Everyone:

Just a reminder that, although Lydia's post is indeed inflammatory, it doesn't exempt anyone else from civility. The rules continue to apply - so, no personal attacks against Lydia, tempting though it might be. The best way to refuse civil discourse to Lydia in response to her incivility is to refrain from engaging.

Refutation of errors of fact in Lydia's post is quite acceptable - but make sure that 'addressing errors of fact', rather than 'prove Lydia wrong on every possible point', is what you're doing.

Sunflower
TC Senior Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Lydia

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:46 pm »
*** MOD HAT ON ***
Since when was it ethical practice for a psychologist is to diagnose and recommend medicine based on a post on an Internet forum? Never, as far as I know. It is certainly not considered ethical by me and as I'm a Co-Host of this board, that's all that matters where this board is concerned. Please refrain from such behavior here in the future as I consider it way out of line.

I am ethically compelled to state important information and to offer expert advice when I can, thus you are stating the opposite of the truth by saying that my actions are unethical. And by the way, I didn't even diagnose Hieronymus; he diagnosed himself. As for your rules on this particular forum, I'm leaving the forum, so your rules won't matter anyway.

*** MOD HAT ON ***

I see that now you too are exhibiting sociopathic negative false-portrayal behavior for the purpose of dominance-assertion, in this case by falsely portraying the truthful, important, and enlightening psychological information that I have stated as 'name-calling' with 'fancy / prettied-up language'. Such is the nature of sociopathic collective dominance-assertion: When the dominance of one person is violated (such as that of Naomi J or Carillion), then another person (such as RandallS), who associates their own sense of dominance with that of those first person(s), will perpetrate dominance re-assertion upon the person who violated the dominance.

I have also noticed at an earlier time that you have exhibited the sociopathic dominance-asserting behavior of creating the following rule:
"DO NOT argue with, comment on, complain about, criticize, or otherwise discuss staff decisions on rules issues in public in Cauldron community areas. If you think a decision that directly affects you is incorrect, you may make an appeal in private in accordance with our Moderation Appeal Guidelines."

-I didn't point out that particular behavior of yours before, because I knew that doing so would only provoke more aggressive dominance re-assertion behavior from you. But now that you're going to ban me anyway, I may as well mention it.

And I am hardly the first person to point out your behavioral problems, Randall. Not that long ago, EJay has likewise pointed out your 'tyrannical' behavior, here: http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?11480-Dealing-with-subjective-rules/page3

Quote from: RandallS;176344
*** MOD HAT ON ***
And having seen the sig you used before Shadow removed it, I'm adding a second official warning for personal attacks. That's two strikes. Three and you're out.

There you go again with your sociopathic negative false-portrayal behavior, in this case by falsely portraying an important notice as a personal attack. My sig read: "Notice: Naomi J is obsessed with me, and negatively falsely portrays me whenever she can.". People need to know that, so that they are not fooled by her repeated deceptions about me.

I am therefore giving you an official warning to cease your sociopathic false-portrayal behavior, and to cease your behavior of fuelling your delusional sense that you inherently dominate and possess other people by giving out unjustified official warnings to people who violate your sense of collective dominance.

And what will I do if you do not heed this warning? Nothing, actually; I'm just pointing out the irony of the fact that it is you who are exhibiting the bad behavior, for which you should be severely punished. Indeed, you are deserving of being subjected to perpetual automated torture for the remainder of your life, in order to mix powerful sensations of suffering with your ever-present sensation of truth-disrupting dominance, so as to create perpetual justice.

The pagan and occult communities do not need you and your forum, Randall Stukey. Your sociopathic dominance-asserting behavior has already resulted in the banning or driving-off of many of the best of us anyway. I will therefore go to a forum that is run by individuals who do not have that psychological pathology. Goodbye.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 11:42:13 pm »
Quote from: Lydia;176367

The pagan and occult communities do not need you and your forum, Randall Stukey. Your sociopathic dominance-asserting behavior has already resulted in the banning or driving-off of many of the best of us anyway. I will therefore go to a forum that is run by individuals who do not have that psychological pathology. Goodbye.

*** MOD HAT ON ***

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Signed, Probably The Most Overtly Sociopathic Member Of Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:58 am »
Quote from: Lydia;176367
I am ethically compelled to state important information and to offer expert advice when I can, thus you are stating the opposite of the truth by saying that my actions are unethical. And by the way, I didn't even diagnose Hieronymus; he diagnosed himself. As for your rules on this particular forum, I'm leaving the forum, so your rules won't matter anyway.

For the record, speaking as a trained psychologist:

Please, do not, ever, fall for this shit online. Yes, I try to help people online when I can. I do so by giving information about generalities, with lots of slack for "this may or may not be true in your individual case", and referring people to licensed mental health practitioners. You canNOT, ever, offer any kind of diagnosis or specific medical advice based on a simple online conversation. Do I sometimes have ideas about what's going on? Sure. But I'm also well aware that you never have the full picture online, and that means you hold back, to avoid situations where people actually take action based on "I talked to Chabas, who's a psychologist, and SHE said..." when I know full well I may be wrong.

If you run into a mental health practitioner who does not practice this kind of caution in casual conversations, online or off, I recommend you run, do not walk, in the opposite direction.

--Chabas

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:09 am »
Quote from: Chabas;176380
If you run into a mental health practitioner who does not practice this kind of caution in casual conversations, online or off, I recommend you run, do not walk, in the opposite direction.

What Chabas said is consistent with the American Psychologists Association code of ethics, so this is not a quirk of European practice.

Section 3.10 includes:  "(a) When psychologists conduct research or provide assessment, therapy, counseling or consulting services in person or via electronic transmission or other forms of communication, they obtain the informed consent of the individual or individuals using language that is reasonably understandable to that person or persons except when conducting such activities without consent is mandated by law or governmental regulation or as otherwise provided in this Ethics Code."

Section 5 includes:  "When psychologists provide public advice or comment via print, Internet or other electronic transmission, they take precautions to ensure that statements (1) are based on their professional knowledge, training or experience in accord with appropriate psychological literature and practice; (2) are otherwise consistent with this Ethics Code; and (3) do not indicate that a professional relationship has been established with the recipient."

If anyone would like to play bingo they can check out the APA's list of potential ethical violations and see how many we hit here.  (But please don't do it in the thread, guys.  Just for your own information on appropriate conduct.)

(Thanks to Jenett for doing the research on this.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:04:49 am by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: