Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: ISO Resources for Adult Learning Disabilities  (Read 3003 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
ISO Resources for Adult Learning Disabilities
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:27:53 pm »
A friend at work recently confided in me that she's having trouble with certain aspects of her job -- especially involving graphic representations of spatial relationships -- because she tends to reverse what she sees on paper.  Apparently, she's always had this problem, but is having more trouble compensating now because of the fast pace of the work.

She asked if I might know of any resources, especially online, that could help her learn ways to work around whatever her brain is doing wrong. 

Her issues are different enough from the cognitive problems I've had after my brain injury that I don't really have many suggestions for her. So I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can recommend any resources that might help her.

Thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:46:35 pm by RandallS »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: ISO Resources for Adult Learning Disabilities
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 06:31:16 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;175388
A friend at work recently confided in me that she's having trouble with certain aspects of her job -- especially involving graphic representations of spatial relationships -- because she tends to reverse what she sees on paper.

I've seen a few references to "graphic dyslexia" but can't really find much on it. However, it is apparently enough of a problem in the construction industry that at least one article was written about it. I have no idea if this is the same problem you friend has nor can I find any infor on working with it. There does appear to be medical papers that mention the condition behind various pay walls, however.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;175388
A friend at work recently confided in me that she's having trouble with certain aspects of her job -- especially involving graphic representations of spatial relationships -- because she tends to reverse what she sees on paper.  Apparently, she's always had this problem, but is having more trouble compensating now because of the fast pace of the work.

She asked if I might know of any resources, especially online, that could help her learn ways to work around whatever her brain is doing wrong.  

Her issues are different enough from the cognitive problems I've had after my brain injury that I don't really have many suggestions for her. So I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can recommend any resources that might help her.

Thanks for any suggestions!

It sounds like a form of dyspraxia, which I have, but which I understand isn't widely diagnosed in the US - apparently people tend to get diagnosed with non-verbal learning disability instead. There are various different types - people are more likely to have heard of the types that affect coordination, than the types that affect spatial cognition. https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/child-learning-disabilities/dyspraxia/understanding-dyspraxia

The best book I've read on the subject is this one, by the educational psychologist who assessed me (it's primarily about dyslexia, but covers dyspraxia, and the two closely overlap, especially in the minds of things you do at work) . http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00APKG5CC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432593571&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Dyspraxia+sylvia&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BsRAQPziL&ref=plSrch It's been years since I read it and I'm not sure if I have a copy anymore, but I seem to recall it having lots of resources and strategies. This one is also pretty good and aimed at adults: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1843104520/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1432593395&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=Dyspraxia&dpPl=1&dpID=418Vygs3lvL&ref=plSrch
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:52:13 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;175390

Thank you both!  These are excellent leads.  I'll pass them on to my friend, and I know they'll be really helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to post!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: